Priority boarding

2,991 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by IIIHorn
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does anyone here regularly pay for priority boarding on their flights? If so, can someone explain the logic behind it?

Why spend more money just to get on the plane earlier? You're gonna land at the exact same time as everyone else. I guess it can save you maybe a couple minutes when you're getting off the plane, but that still doesn't seem worth an extra $50 or whatever it is.
JMac03
AG
I doubt many pay it, but I do like to board earlier if I am having a bag go in the overhead bin. Generally I am boarding group 2 so I don't have issues. But if you sit in the back of the plane and are the last to board, good chance overhead bin space is gone. But heck no, not worth $50.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Been awhile since I've been a non-priority plebe, but as mentioned, overhead space on a full flight is generally the main benefit
Ryan the Temp
AG
I do this every time I am traveling with any of my trombones. There's no way in hell I'm going to check something that valuable and essential to my craft if I don't have to.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Because the condensation under the plane can make them rusty
Ryan the Temp
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Because the condensation under the plane can make them rusty
Trombones are constructed primarily of brass and nickel (and occasionally silver and gold) and therefore, from a technical standpoint, do not rust, but rather corrode. In some instances, areas of a trombone may experience a condition called "red rot" where the zinc and copper in the brass separate. This can be mistaken for rust by those not familiar with brass instrument construction.
C@LAg
he was making a sex joke.

i hope.
permabull
AG
I would guess the majority of people who do priority boarding get it free from their status, reimbursed from their credit card, or their company pays for it.

I know lots of people who refuse to check their luggage so having a higher chance of getting an overhead bin probably is their biggest reason for wanted to priority boarding.
agz win
AG
Besides early space in overhead bins, it's also key in claiming the row first and controlling all the air vents. Minimal time loitering in lines with mouth breathers is also a bonus.
maroon barchetta
agz win said:

Besides early space in overhead bins, it's also key in claiming the row first and controlling all the air vents. Minimal time loitering in lines with mouth breathers is also a bonus.

You're about to embark on a multiple-hour journey breathing the recycled air of those mouth breathers.
DannyDuberstein
AG
maroon barchetta said:

agz win said:

You're about to embark on a multiple-hour journey breathing the recycled air of those mouth breathers.

But a good way to start it is by elbowing a bunch of them out of the way to reach the priority lane while the group 7 mouthbresthrs congregate in the way
Ryan the Temp
AG
C@LAg said:

he was making a sex joke.

i hope.
What?? Oh my goodness, that's horrifying ...
alvtimes
agz win said:

who stands in lines…. just wait in bar with the rest of us
fc2112
I do have priority boarding but also have free luggage with AA. So I often hang out to be last one on the plane.
evestor1
I have never met anyone that purchased priority boarding.

i have grown to be upset with flying...even in first/business. that said, i do enjoy flying with my younger kids b/c they love looking out the window
Booma94
AG
I bought priority boarding twice on Southwest. One time I forgot to check in and was boarding number C 46. No way I was boarding last and getting stuck in the middle seat between the fat twins on the moped in the Guiness Book of World Records.

The other time I was traveling with family and we wanted to make sure we had seats together, so I paid for me to priority board so I could put bags in seats to reserve a row so we were together. Definite TDM, but I don't make the rules, I just figure out how to bend them for my benefit.

Both times it was money well spent, but aside from those rare occasions it is hardly worth it.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
we're supposed to call them "handclapped" now.

Txmoe
AG
JMac03
AG
Booma94 said:

I bought priority boarding twice on Southwest. One time I forgot to check in and was boarding number C 46. No way I was boarding last and getting stuck in the middle seat between the fat twins on the moped in the Guiness Book of World Records.

The other time I was traveling with family and we wanted to make sure we had seats together, so I paid for me to priority board so I could put bags in seats to reserve a row so we were together. Definite TDM, but I don't make the rules, I just figure out how to bend them for my benefit.

Both times it was money well spent, but aside from those rare occasions it is hardly worth it.
Oh I would 110% pay it if I was flying Southwest. No way would I be boarding in the C group (and wouldn't prefer B). Its been over 5 years since I've flown them, maybe longer.
jh0400
AG
Even early boarding doesn't guarantee convenient access to overhead bin space. I boarded in the middle of group 1 on a UA flight from MIA - IAH last week, and the Economy + bins were already full due to the 1K preboard.

On Southwest, the $25 for early bird if you're not A List makes a lot of sense if you want to be guaranteed overhead bin space.
TecRecAg
AG
Will occasionally for Southwest just because of the pick your own seat thing.

If I have an assigned seat, my ass is the last one on that plane.
AggieArchitect04
AG
When I traveled with my two daughters (9) earlier this year, I ponied up for Early Bird on SW so I could be sure we all sat together.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I would not include SW early bird as paying for priority boarding as far as what the OP is asking. That is essentially a seat upgrade.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yep, this. For southwest it's kind of a special case.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
TecRecAg said:

If I have an assigned seat, my ass is the last one on that plane.
it varies by destination airport (delta between arrival and when bag arrives at claim) but for airports I know make a quick turnaround with checked bags, I'll check and be the last guy to board every time.
Unemployed
AG
Booma94 said:

I bet this is your wife.

agracer
AG
JMac03 said:

I doubt many pay it, but I do like to board earlier if I am having a bag go in the overhead bin. Generally I am boarding group 2 so I don't have issues. But if you sit in the back of the plane and are the last to board, good chance overhead bin space is gone. But heck no, not worth $50.
IF PEOPLE WOULD FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS AND NOT PUT TWO ITEMS IN THE OVERHEAD BIN AND USE THE SPACE UNDER THEIR SEATS FOR THEIR PERSONAL ITEM THIS WOULD NOT BE SUCH A BIG ISSUE.....
permabull
AG
Or that guy who is sitting on row 18 puts his bag in the overhead bin on row 12... Which leads the person sitting on row 12 to have to further back in the plane to put their bag on row 18, then they get to fight their way back to their seat and get totally hosed when it comes time to deboard the plane.
FightinTAC08
AG
I'll pay for priority boarding on southwest - can't stand boarding last and getting stuck with middle seats and sitting in the back.

for AA - between status and credit cardholder no need to pay.

Put me in the checked bag camp - don't have to worry about when i board and don't care about overhead space. there is nothing of value in my checked baggage. if its lost i get new luggage and clothes. The freedom to walk through TSA and the airport untethered is fantastic.
The Porkchop Express
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Does anyone here regularly pay for priority boarding on their flights? If so, can someone explain the logic behind it?

Why spend more money just to get on the plane earlier? You're gonna land at the exact same time as everyone else. I guess it can save you maybe a couple minutes when you're getting off the plane, but that still doesn't seem worth an extra $50 or whatever it is.
90% of the questions you ask here are answered by "Because of children"

When my girls were younger we would try to board earlier to wipe down the seats and trays and arm rests to ensure their food allergies were as taken care of as possible as airplanes very commonly serve nuts as snacks and little hands like to wander.

WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

When my girls were younger we would try to board earlier to wipe down the seats and trays and arm rests to ensure their food allergies were as taken care of as possible as airplanes very commonly serve nuts as snacks and little hands like to wander.
Huh? Like what?
The Porkchop Express
Brian Earl Spilner said:

The Porkchop Express said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Huh? Like what?
I meant the collective you.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
aglaohfour
AG
I can't imagine ever paying for priority boarding because I'm not trying to spend any more time on a plane than I have to. For the last 8-9 years or so, my frequent flyer status has me in group one anyway, but I wait in the lounge (or a restaurant if it's more convenient) until I'm pretty sure they're just about to start calling my by name over the PA and then I'll board. I've only truly cut it close once or twice doing it this way.
IIIHorn

Carryon luggage = priority hoarding

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.