New Guitar Day

299,785 Views | 4124 Replies | Last: 23 hrs ago by DallasTeleAg
rononeill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Rockin Robin is cool as an "institution" - it was the perfect place to buy my first electric. Basically went in and said, "I have $1500 - I need a guitar, amp, cable, and stand. I have an old acoustic, i can read tab, play piano so know a little theory, promise I'll practice, and I like Tool and the Black Crowes - what should I do?" I fooled around with 6 or 8 guitars - Gibsons, Gibson knockoff, Teles, Strats, etc. Picked an HSS strat, a Boss Katana, some accessories and he rang it up to $1200. I said, I've got more money, what should I do something else? He said "practice". I thought that was cool.

Then I go in a few months later and see all the same used stuff that was there, still on the wall. Everyone there's cool, super nice, patient - but their inventory is SO weak - I'm not sure where they make their money.
maroon barchetta
Partly for nostalgia purposes, I want a Robin Strat-style guitar. Particularly one that is hanging from the ceiling in there that have seen several times, but they treat all of those like museum pieces.

I do peruse their Reverb page monthly to see what they have listed.

I have no idea how they make money beyond lessons and repairs.
maroon barchetta
Which of you is this?

johnnyblaze36
AG
I didn't get a new guitar but I saw Charley Crockett play Waylon's original 1954 telecaster last night in Dallas and it was the first time ever played in Texas. And now I want one for the cool price of only $25,000.

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/products/fender-custom-shop-1954-waylon-jennings-telecaster-1863945?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwltKxBhDMARIsAG8KnqWp8vnnlVu0jRC-MqsWEwfUyb4yRkmnCwN3O5OPSe2QYRV-FGPtJ1MaAvMuEALw_wcB

Quincey P. Morris
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Which of you is this?

Not me but I did give serious consideration to buying a Synyster Gates Schecter a while back.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Found a thread on Reddit with a guy that had gone to the Tremonti guitar clinic before an Alter Bridge show. Said there were like 12 people. The terror grows.
videoag98
AG
What in the actual FK?! WHY???

https://reverb.com/item/72839244-1973-gibson-les-paul-custom-electric-guitar-w-glass-display-case-one-of-a-kind?utm_campaign=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thegearpage.net%2F&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=aw
DallasTeleAg
Frok
AG
videoag98 said:

What in the actual FK?! WHY???

https://reverb.com/item/72839244-1973-gibson-les-paul-custom-electric-guitar-w-glass-display-case-one-of-a-kind?utm_campaign=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thegearpage.net%2F&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=aw

Options
Frok
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

In Houston, you need to go to the Guitar Center location off Westheimer; that one has the largest platinum room because it is the primary Guitar Center in the area. The one off Yale has a smaller room with around 15-20 Fenders and 15ish Gibsons. I believe those are the only two guitar centers in Houston with a Platinum room.

Fuller's Guitars is a great shop to play many quality guitars, and it's not a big deal to take anything down. All the Fenders, including the Custom Shops, are out on the floor to be pulled down and played if you want to. The Gibsons and some other custom brands are behind the counter, but you can ask the guys for any of them, and they will pull them down for you.

John is my favorite employee there. He's the skinny guy in this late 50's or early 60's, and is very helpful. Sometimes I just go in there and ask him to show me what new guitars they have that are really good. He'll immediately point to a few that have that little extra "something".

This is great, thanks!

Aggie Therapist
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Which of you is this?

Look at that Positive Grid Spark set-up
maroon barchetta
Aggie Therapist said:

maroon barchetta said:

Which of you is this?

Look at that Positive Grid Spark set-up

Needs the new cab.
maroon barchetta
My buddy shared a pic of one of his Collings guitars while he was playing with amp configurations this weekend.

That is a lovely slab of wood.
G.I.Bro
Just ordered my first gibbons
maroon barchetta
Chibbons?
G.I.Bro
Real deal boomer gibbons
dave99ag
AG
BIlly?
DallasTeleAg
Blind order without playing? Did you buy new from a dealer or used from an individual?
Aggie Therapist
AG
G.I.Bro said:

Real deal boomer gibbons

G.I.Bro
Yeah, it is new and I'm getting it from sweetwater. I got my other nice-ish guitar from there and had zero problems. I can always return or exchange if there are issues with the guitar
Aggie Therapist
AG
What's it look like?
G.I.Bro
Let's see if this works
Aggie Therapist
AG
Hell yeah!

I had a Gibson cherry rose Flying V in high school. I'm not sure what got into me but I did not like the way it felt while playing it. I took it back two weeks later and got a nice Jackson with a strat body.

But the V sounded amazing on my Marshall tube amp. Metallica covers sounded awesome.

Nice pick up and very jealous!
maroon barchetta
That is sweet.
AustinCountyAg
some of you guitar nerd may appreciate this interview with one of my best friends Chris Tieman who builds custom guitars out of Brenham, TX (Mistress Guitars). If your in the market for something custom, or general repair work I highly recommend him.

maroon barchetta
And some snazzy guitar stands are built in Brenham as well!
AustinCountyAg
the stands are being used in that video as well. actually, the guitar stands and chris's guitars are both built in New Wehdem. They live right down the road from each other. Small "town" producing great musical products.....and don't forget Elliot Capo's who are actually in Brenham.
Aggie Therapist
AG
I have a bunch of wood from Garrison Brothers Cowboy Bourbon boxes. Essentially, it would make for a luxury cigar box guitar and quite unique to have in your house. I wonder if he would be interested in making such a custom guitar that we could auction off here and in the TexAgs bourbon thread.

Proceeds could possibly go to Recovery Unplugged, a rehab facility in Austin. They have helped out a ton of people and I send patients there for post discharge care.

I assume this would be quite simple for him to put together but I think we could raise some money for a musician focused charity or foundation.

Let me know your thoughts.

Gigem314
AG
Quote:

Fuller's Guitars is a great shop to play many quality guitars, and it's not a big deal to take anything down. All the Fenders, including the Custom Shops, are out on the floor to be pulled down and played if you want to. The Gibsons and some other custom brands are behind the counter, but you can ask the guys for any of them, and they will pull them down for you.
Yeah I was in there last week because I'm considering selling my Jazzmaster Classic Series and getting a Tele. Tried a bunch of their Teles and some Strats. They're very laid back in there and don't hound you. But one of them did bring me an Anderson T-Icon with a satin neck that might have ruined me on Fender Tele's...what an incredible guitar. My pocketbook is going to stick with Fender though.
DallasTeleAg
That sounds like John. He loves pulling those out, but I prefer my tele I bought there to any of the Tom Andersons he's pulled for me.
First Page Refresh
Page 118 of 118

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.