Fallout TV Series (Amazon Prime)

38,236 Views | 450 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by Urban Ag
Claude!
How long do you want to ignore this user?
cone said:

Claude! said:

Wonder if this success will adjust Bethesda's timeline for the next game.

A man can dream, I guess.

can we get another west coast game?
Heck with that, let's go to Texas.
BadMoonRisin
AG
cone said:

Claude! said:

Van Buren, the project codename that was cancelled in 2003 that was supposed to be the third fallout game, was set in Colorado, Arizona, Utah, and Nevada in 2253.

It would chronical the Brotherhood of Steel's war with the burgeoning New California Republic.

Sounds pretty cool to me.
Sex Panther
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

cone said:

Claude! said:

Van Buren, the project codename that was cancelled in 2003 that was supposed to be the third fallout game, was set in Colorado, Arizona, Utah, and Nevada in 2253.

It would chronical the Brotherhood of Steel's war with the burgeoning New California Republic.

Sounds pretty cool to me.

That sounds like Horizon
maverick2076
Claude! said:

cone said:

Claude! said:

Fallout: Lone Star
BenTheGoodAg
AG
maverick2076 said:

Claude! said:

cone said:

Claude! said:

Fallout: Lone Star
Hell, have y'all never been to Lubbock? Stuck in the 50's. Looks like the bombs have already dropped.
DallasTeleAg
Or... Garland?

BenTheGoodAg
AG
How have we not been friends before this thread?
TCTTS
AG
From Puck's/Julia Alexander's latest newsletter...

Quote:

The Episodic Argument

Fallout may have had the second-biggest premiere in Prime Video history, but the show saw a decrease of 5 percent in its overall demand within the U.S., in its second week, compared to episodic releases like The Boys, which grew by 12 percent in its second week, and The Rings of Power, which grew by 3 percent in its third week, according to Parrot.

Over on Disney+, the majority of Marvel Studios' episodic shows grew in their second and third weeks, including Ms. Marvel, Moon Knight, WandaVision, and She-Hulk. Meanwhile, Marvel's first show to binge-release, Echo, had one of the largest debuts for a Disney+ Marvel seriestied with Loki's first season at 12.2 million views, according to Nielsenbut soon fell off the charts.

Netflix can withstand these decays. But it's another story at Disney+the binge-release model doesn't incentivize audiences to come back and check out a new series or film since there isn't enough new content hitting the service. Prime Video is in the same bucket. During the week of March 31, for juxtaposition, the top Netflix series (3 Body Problem) amassed more than 1.7 billion minutes viewed, according to data from the popular analyst who goes by TV Grim Reaper on X. Prime Video saw 812 minutes streamed for its top title, Road House. Fifty percent of Prime Video's Top 10 titles in the week saw under 100 million minutes streamed. None of Netflix's Top 10 titles dropped below 100 million minutes, and eight of Netflix's Top 10 list, as measured by Nielsen, were new.

Truly obsession-worthy entertainment is rare, and the studios able to grasp hold of a runaway train, like Fallout, should reward that scarcity with a weekly release. As I mentioned a few weeks ago, Netflix's strategy is about convenience: There may be few franchises, but there's always something.Convenience is a side effect of abundance, and in lieu of abundance, the power of scarcity comes in the form of commanding love for extended periods of time.

Baby Reindeer's success is derived from scale and convenience of a higher powerthe Netflix (and arguably TikTok) algorithm. For its part, Fallout owes a large part of its success to a pre-built fan base. And while both shows may be forgotten a month from now, Amazon will feel the pain of that fade-out far more.

Amen.

Episodic releases are where it's at.

For shows like Fallout, week-to-week episode drops should be the standard.

For those of you who love to binge... just wait 'til the end of any given season's run, then go hog wild.

Otherwise, it's so much better when the conversation lasts for months, there's weekly anticipation, audience build up, etc. As opposed to a season vanishing like a fart in the wind after 10 days or so.
jeffk
AG
I'm a fan of appointment viewing
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

From Puck's/Julia Alexander's latest newsletter...

Quote:

The Episodic Argument

Fallout may have had the second-biggest premiere in Prime Video history, but the show saw a decrease of 5 percent in its overall demand within the U.S., in its second week, compared to episodic releases like The Boys, which grew by 12 percent in its second week, and The Rings of Power, which grew by 3 percent in its third week, according to Parrot.

Over on Disney+, the majority of Marvel Studios' episodic shows grew in their second and third weeks, including Ms. Marvel, Moon Knight, WandaVision, and She-Hulk. Meanwhile, Marvel's first show to binge-release, Echo, had one of the largest debuts for a Disney+ Marvel seriestied with Loki's first season at 12.2 million views, according to Nielsenbut soon fell off the charts.

Netflix can withstand these decays. But it's another story at Disney+the binge-release model doesn't incentivize audiences to come back and check out a new series or film since there isn't enough new content hitting the service. Prime Video is in the same bucket. During the week of March 31, for juxtaposition, the top Netflix series (3 Body Problem) amassed more than 1.7 billion minutes viewed, according to data from the popular analyst who goes by TV Grim Reaper on X. Prime Video saw 812 minutes streamed for its top title, Road House. Fifty percent of Prime Video's Top 10 titles in the week saw under 100 million minutes streamed. None of Netflix's Top 10 titles dropped below 100 million minutes, and eight of Netflix's Top 10 list, as measured by Nielsen, were new.

Truly obsession-worthy entertainment is rare, and the studios able to grasp hold of a runaway train, like Fallout, should reward that scarcity with a weekly release. As I mentioned a few weeks ago, Netflix's strategy is about convenience: There may be few franchises, but there's always something.Convenience is a side effect of abundance, and in lieu of abundance, the power of scarcity comes in the form of commanding love for extended periods of time.

Baby Reindeer's success is derived from scale and convenience of a higher powerthe Netflix (and arguably TikTok) algorithm. For its part, Fallout owes a large part of its success to a pre-built fan base. And while both shows may be forgotten a month from now, Amazon will feel the pain of that fade-out far more.

Amen.

Episodic releases are where it's at.

For shows like Fallout, week-to-week episode drops should be the standard.

For those of you who love to binge... just wait 'til the end of any given season's run, then go hog wild.

Otherwise, it's so much better when the conversation lasts for months, there's weekly anticipation, audience build up, etc. As opposed to a season vanishing like a fart in the wind after 10 days or so.
I even think doing something like dropping 2 episodes the first week could be good, to help people get bought in.
But if you know you have a show that people will love, there is no reason to drop the season all at once.
Luckily I am still seeing a lot of discussion about Fallout amongst friends and online, so I think people are still finding it.
BadMoonRisin
AG
I agree.

Discussing the theories on what's going on, what's going to happen, any cool easter eggs int he episode, talking about the timeline for the universe etc. would have been better if we got a week in between to discuss. It always makes discussions on this board significantly more fun and interactive.

And generally, it's always nice in life to have things to look forward to, even if its something very small.

Bingable shows are fine too, but consider what the product is. For high budget, detailed, and deep shows, they aren't the same product as a reality show or an unknown show like Bad Reindeer.

What a fun show. I guess we wont see a season 2 until 2026 if the timelines held, considering this one was filming in 2022 -- but I know some shows can do it in just a few months, but it seems like with all of the special effects, this will likely stay in post production much longer than a simple live-action show (The Bear).
DallasTeleAg
I don't care about any of that. I just want to watch the season, so I like it dropping all at once. I honestly don't want to theorize on shows like this because you get all that BS between fans of th IP and newcomers.

If you want to watch it at one show per week, then do that and have those discussions with your friends who want to watch it that way.
TCTTS
AG
Or… if you want to binge it, then do that and simply wait till the end of season. Your way, only the bingers get what they want. The other way, everyone wins. Not to mention, the article basically shows that week-to-week ultimately results in better engagement. Then again, I'm sure you have still me blocked, so you of course didn't see it, and aren't seeing this either.
Madmarttigan
AG
Yeah I'm selfish and don't really care about week to week episode requests I would rather just binge, and no I'm not waiting until the episodes are all out to binge.

Also weekly stuff is only fun for huge cultural phenomenons like GoT where literally everyone at work is talking about it. No one was really going to be theorizing over a brand new fallout show. .
BenTheGoodAg
AG
NSFW

DallasTeleAg
Madmarttigan said:

Yeah I'm selfish and don't really care about week to week episode requests I would rather just binge, and no I'm not waiting until the episodes are all out to binge.
Exactly. Love the binge.
BowSowy
AG
Generally speaking, I prefer episodic just because it gives me a reason to space out something I enjoy. But I've also found myself enjoying the weekly discussion less and less, especially when it's telling a story that's already been told in another medium. I've gotten tired of the people making "predictions" and acting like they aren't just spoiling **** for everyone else.
Average Joe
AG
I wonder if the fact that it's Fallout played into the decision to binge. I mean, they hit a home run with it, but I think they had a better chance of falling on their face.

This franchise is different and weird. Maybe they thought the only way to win over fanboys and bring in non-gamers was too lay it all out there instead of spoon feeding everyone.
Urban Ag
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Or... Garland?

That's just awesome
PatAg
AG
Yea, there are probably two discussions.
1.) does releasing all at once or weekly generate more discussion/views as far as the studios are concerned.
2.) do you personally prefer one or the other.

I like doing both honestly, sometimes binging is better.
I think I find I appreciate the individual episodes more with a weekly release, and with binging its kind of all one big episode.
It was novel when Netflix would just start dumping it all at once when they were the first/only service out there basically.
I think I prefer the weekly release overall, though.
bangobango
AG
For the life of me I cannot understand the justification of releasing all the episodes at once. It's just the dumbest strategy and I've said that for years now. Just completely kills the buzz of good tv.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
I think there's a lot to be said about the natural pacing and rhythm of a show. Something like Fallout or 24 that's an action/adventure story gets your adrenaline rushing, it's harder to wait week-to-week and doesn't fit the feel of the content.

Something that's a slower burn or more of a mind-bender, I'm all about taking it a week at a time. Take a show like The Crown or Severance (Both really good shows) and I don't feel like I'm missing out, or trying to put myself back in the same adrenal state as when I finished the last episode.
bangobango
AG
I think practicing some delayed gratification might be on the order for some of you.
Eliminatus
AG
bangobango said:

For the life of me I cannot understand the justification of releasing all the episodes once a week. It's just the dumbest strategy and I've said that for years now. Just completely kills the buzz of good tv.

FIFY
Breggy Popup
AG
bangobango
AG
Eliminatus said:

bangobango said:

For the life of me I cannot understand the justification of releasing all the episodes once a week. It's just the dumbest strategy and I've said that for years now. Just completely kills the buzz of good tv.

FIFY

From the producers perspective. I get some of the fans like it, but how does it help the show or the streaming service to do it that way?
EclipseAg
AG
I've never played the video games so I knew nothing about this story, other than bits and pieces I'd picked up from this thread and elsewhere.

Wow ... that first episode might be the wildest opener I've ever seen. Everything about it was just eye-popping. I was hooked about two minutes in.
StinkyPinky
AG
EclipseAg said:

Wow ... that first episode might be the wildest opener I've ever seen. Everything about it was just eye-popping. I was hooked about two minutes in.
I agree, so well done. Definitely elicited an emotional (and broad range) reaction. A very high caliber product for a TV series. Rivals any big Hollywood production.
NukeAg10
AG
Just finished it, and I just wanna say again that Walton Goggins is the ****ing man. Also, great first season, and I'm excited for season 2.

I only played Fallout 3, great game.
ABATTBQ11
AG
EclipseAg said:

I've never played the video games so I knew nothing about this story, other than bits and pieces I'd picked up from this thread and elsewhere.

In retrospect though, shouldn't they have known not to open vault 32? How did they not know that there was a huge uprising if they could talk to each other? Shouldn't the old black lady and the other people from 31 have realized that there was no one else from 31 in the group from 32?
Urban Ag
AG
bangobango said:

For the life of me I cannot understand the justification of releasing all the episodes at once. It's just the dumbest strategy and I've said that for years now. Just completely kills the buzz of good tv.
If GOT doesn't prove this I don't know what would.

As the popularity of GOT grew season over season, so did the watch parties, the office talk on Mondays, the online and social media discussions. Even when a lot of viewers started hating on the show in the last two seasons, the weekly release just made the hype all the more. No one was going to stop watching over a one hour a week commitment where as it's a lot more likely you lose viewers midway if the general consensus is it sucks.

Had HBO dropped it all at once, you get 3-4 weeks of hype and talk and debate. Week to week, 3-4 months or more. The longer it draws out the more new viewers come in, more merch gets sold, more hype for the next season. People have short attention spans. Milk it. Make them wait for it. Anticipation also has a way of convincing someone the product is maybe better than it really is.

I don't get it either.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.