*** KNOCK AT THE CABIN ***
5,759 Views | 52 Replies
Beast of Burden
8:56a, 2/15/23
Man...I couldn't disagree more with the OP. This movie pretty much played out exactly like the trailers then just kind of ended. The four horsemen wasn't exactly a mind-blowing reveal either.
TCTTS
3:29p, 2/15/23
In reply to Beast of Burden
Again... PLEASE use spoiler tags. You're essentially giving away the ending/conceit, seeing as it answers the main question presented in the movie. That said...

I don't understand why the fact that it played out as expected is necessarily a bad thing in this instance. Especially when the entire movie is built around questioning whether what it hints at in the trailer is real or not. For me, personally, the experience of watching the trailer, thinking it was a movie about the literal apocalypse, then walking into the theater and having the entire movie be about making me second guess my initial suspicions, in expert fashion, was so incredibly fun. That it ended up being the actual apocalypse didn't at all take away from the roller coaster ride I was on. In a way, the twist was that there was no twist, and the more I've sat with that, the more I like it. The whole experience, from trailer to the end of the movie, felt designed toward that end, and like something Shyamalan was actively trying to accomplish.
Beast of Burden
3:47p, 2/15/23
In reply to TCTTS
I can see where you're coming from but it personally never made me guess at anything so I suppose that's where our opinions differ.
Petrino1
11:56a, 2/18/23
Just saw this movie, I enjoyed it. Thankfully I didnt watch the trailers before seeing this movie, I think it would have spoiled/ruined it in some ways.

Is this the first M. Night movie without a crazy twist?
Tobias Funke
3:07p, 2/18/23
The entire movie you're presented with: This is happening because of A or this seems to be happening because of B, and my brain kept waiting for "oh wow it was actually C!", because A and B were not all that compelling to me.

C never came and the movie ended and I was just like "….k" and walked out and probably won't really think about it again.

Not a bad movie, just forgettable.
Redstone
5:26p, 2/18/23
I'm out on M. Night.

I've turned my attention to young and emerging filmmakers working with small budgets, such as Gerard Johnstone.
Tobias Funke
7:32p, 2/18/23
In reply to Redstone
Redstone said:

I'm out on M. Night.

I've turned my attention to young and emerging filmmakers working with small budgets, such as Gerard Johnstone.

Man, this guy is the Redgrin Grumble of knowing what directors he's talking about
bluefire579
4:21p, 3/25/23
Came out on Peacock, so gave it a watch. Decent enough, thought the performances were good, particularly Dave Bautista with that imposing calmness. Not as twisty as some of M. Night's others, but definitely tense. Not a classic by any means, but a pretty enjoyable thriller.
mslags97
10:35p, 3/25/23
In reply to bluefire579
bluefire579 said:

Came out on Peacock, so gave it a watch. Decent enough, thought the performances were good, particularly Dave Bautista with that imposing calmness. Not as twisty as some of M. Night's others, but definitely tense. Not a classic by any means, but a pretty enjoyable thriller.

Exactly what I thought about it. Good. Entertaining. Worth the watch. But nothing special.
boogieman
4:31p, 3/26/23
Caught this on peacock this weekend and it was fine. Pretty straightforward, which is a twist in itself, considering the director. Enjoyable.
Serious Lee
1:47p, 3/27/23
no twist at the end made this pretty bland, but bautista was good. even the forced gay couple held their end. i agree, the movie would ahve been better if it was all a revenge plot by the irish dude, instead of the completely predictable 4 horsemen reveal. I guess hollyweird probly thinks its original though since scripture is foreign to the majority of their audience nowadays.
The Porkchop Express
1:51p, 3/27/23
In reply to Serious Lee
HoseMad said:

no twist at the end made this pretty bland, but bautista was good. even the forced gay couple held their end. i agree, the movie would ahve been better if it was all a revenge plot by the irish dude, instead of the completely predictable 4 horsemen reveal. I guess hollyweird probly thinks its original though since scripture is foreign to the majority of their audience nowadays.
Yikes, what was that movie rated?
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
Yellerjacket
2:40p, 3/27/23
Serious Lee
3:18p, 3/27/23
In reply to The Porkchop Express
The Porkchop Express said:

Yikes, what was that movie rated?
it was rated G, for Gay.
cbr
6:00p, 3/27/23
it was alot less gratuitously and unnecessarily gay than most shows these days... i was surprised to see some of the posts above. you could even argue that them being gay added a relevant layer of thought to the movie, unlike, for instance, last of us.

Ol_Ag_02
7:40p, 3/27/23
In reply to cbr
cbr said:

it was alot less gratuitously and unnecessarily gay than most shows these days... i was surprised to see some of the posts above. you could even argue that them being gay added a relevant layer of thought to the movie, unlike, for instance, last of us.

What? The homosexual angle of Bill is key symbolism. Bill surrounded by humanity was alone his whole life, and it took the world ending for him to finally find someone.
AggieArchitect04
3:05p, 3/28/23
I watched this a few weeks ago in the theater. Very similar review as many others - meh. I think the ending was pretty lame and anti-climatic. I do agree that Bautista was great, but my favorite of his is still Army of the Dead.

I didn't mind the gay couple, but it did feel like the movie was going to lengths to show how hard gay life is (dismissive parents, bar fight, etc.). I didn't really appreciate that and felt duped because I went in wanting to watch a thriller, not a social justice piece.

It did make me contemplate one's commitment to their faith. Like...if the the end of the world were happening, how many bad things would have to occur, and how bad would it have to get before we accepted it as the apocalypse.

Interesting that someone brought up TLOU (gay characters), because both the show and this movie deal with the predicament - sacrifice one person and save humanity or hold on to one close to you and forsake the world?
YouBet
9:59a, 5/5/24
Watched last night. I thought it was pretty entertaining. Not fantastic but worth a watch. I knew nothing about it at all going in which is what I recommend for any movie now. There is too much out there that gets revealed that will unnecessarily ruin a film for you if you had just ignored pre-movie chatter. I pretty much don't watch trailers anymore aside from the rare event I'm actually at a theater. Not worth it.

Anywho, the gay premise was a little eye rolling at times simply because I'm tired of hearing about their plight but I thought it was relatively tame in comparison to most stuff these days with that premise. I can appreciate and respect the focus on family and commitment presented here.

Bautista was fantastic. Thanks for the callout that the red headed guy was Ron Weasley. I knew I recognized him but couldn't place him.

And I guess I'm one of the dumbasses who didn't put 2 and 2 together that they were the Four Horsemen until Eric stated they were.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 2 of 2
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings