2024 Books Read
22,361 Views | 246 Replies
Wolfpac 08
4:40a, 4/30/24
Finished Game of Thrones (book 1 ASOIAF). Really, really good. Especially considering I already knew what happens, it still kept me on the edge of my seat. I could see it being a more difficult read had I not already been familiar with the characters and settings…but man I can't imagine what it would have been like to read it not knowing the ending.

On to Clash of Kings. This is a long one…I'll see you all on the other side. Winter is coming.

Read in 2024:

The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood
Fairy Tale - Stephen King
The Shining - SK
A Little Life - Hanya Yanagihara
Game of Thrones - GRRM

Up next:
A Clash of Kings - GRRM
BQ2001
7:39p, 4/30/24
I got on an Asimov kick this year reading the 3 Robot books and just about finishing up the 6 Foundation books.

Also read 2 books by DJ Molles (Terminus and Sanctuary) in the Lee Harden series. I've been reading that series a while and always enjoy them. It's a Zombie/post apocalyptic series, but less about the zombie stuff overall now and more of survivors now. Fast, easy reads if you are into that genre.

I think I'm starting the Hyperion series next, always have wanted to dig into that one.
cmk10
9:52a, 5/3/24
Read Flowers for Algernon for the first time... I knew the ending was coming, but man that was sad...
Another Doug
10:47a, 5/3/24
In reply to cmk10
cmk10 said:

Read Flowers for Algernon for the first time... I knew the ending was coming, but man that was sad...
If you need a pick me up watch The "Flowers for Charlie" episode of Always Sunny
cmk10
1:01p, 5/3/24
In reply to Another Doug
That is a great episode!
The Marksman
9:32a, 5/8/24
Death of Kings(Saxon Stories Book 6) by Bernard Cornwell
texsn95
11:27a, 5/8/24
Just finished "Holly" by King, not a fan. The political interjections were way over the top.
G.I.Bro
11:30a, 5/8/24
In reply to texsn95
texsn95 said:

Just finished "Holly" by King, not a fan. The political interjections were way over the top.

The Last book in the gwendy trilogy got political. Wish he'd go back to doing cocaine
Another Doug
11:40a, 5/8/24
In reply to texsn95
texsn95 said:

All off his books now show his obsession with Trump, oh look the hero has to stop a political demagogue with his ESP powers so he won't destroy the world. Go back to writing child orgies moran.
YouBet
6:40p, 5/8/24
In reply to G.I.Bro
G.I.Bro said:

texsn95 said:

The Last book in the gwendy trilogy got political. Wish he'd go back to doing cocaine

I miss Cocaine King.
Eliminatus
6:50p, 5/8/24
In reply to YouBet
YouBet said:

G.I.Bro said:

texsn95 said:

I miss Cocaine King.
There are only two authors I have found whose outside opinions bleed enough into their work that I cannot stomach the books anymore. RF Kuang and King. Oh how the king has fallen.
texsn95
11:29a, 5/9/24
In reply to G.I.Bro
G.I.Bro said:

texsn95 said:

I'm a huge SK fan (for the most part) and have never heard of that series, I'll have to add it to the queue.
Bigfootisreal
3:04p, 5/9/24
In reply to texsn95
texsn95 said:

Same thoughts and I so looked forward to that book! No real supernatural stuff but take shots at meat eaters, trumpers, and anti-vaxxers!
Diggity
3:22p, 5/9/24
In reply to Bigfootisreal
yeah, the covid stuff was obnoxious and has not aged well.
YouBet
6:44p, 5/9/24
That car accident jacked him up mentally and physically.
HawthornAggie
12:35a, 5/11/24
Finished Dune. Now I am trying to decide whether or not to reread Dune Messiah or try a new book.
YouBet
8:36a, 5/11/24
The Year of Dresden rolls on....

Completed YTD:

Fugitive Telemetry (The Murderbot Diaries #6)
Supernova in the East IV
Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
Dead Beat (The Dresden Files #7)
Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files #8)
White Night (The Dresden Files #9)
Small Favor (The Dresden Files #10)
Turn Coat (The Dresden Files #11)
Changes (The Dresden Files #12)
Side Jobs (Stories from the Dresden Files #12.5)

Ghost Story (The Dresden Files #13) - just finished

Currently Reading:
Brief Cases (The Dresden Files - second anthology of short stories)
Supernova in the East V - Dan Carlin
Lives of the Stoics (The Art of Living from Zeno to Marcus Aurelius) - Ryan Holiday and Stephen Hanselman
13B
11:31a, 5/11/24
In reply to YouBet
I have #17, 18 & 19 left to read on Dresden. How are you liking them?

Started the Raven's Shadow series by Anthony Ryan. Not bad.
YouBet
12:06p, 5/11/24
In reply to 13B
13B said:

Love them so far. Just a blast of a series.
Eliminatus
12:14p, 5/11/24
In reply to 13B
13B said:

Really interested in what you think when you get to books 2 and 3. I absolutely loved Blood Song and was keen to dig into the rest of them when some life distractions took over and when I got back to thinking about them, my sister had mentioned her major disappointment with them which led me to never getting around to ordering them myself as I trust her views. I normally never both with reviews and whatnot but peeked around and it seemed to be a general consensus across the board. With some even entering the "WTF happened" realm by the end of the third book. Still think about them from time to time though.
YouBet
6:43p, 5/11/24
In reply to Eliminatus
Eliminatus said:

13B said:

Really interested in what you think when you get to books 2 and 3. I absolutely loved Blood Song and was keen to dig into the rest of them when some life distractions took over and when I got back to thinking about them, my sister had mentioned her major disappointment with them which led me to never getting around to ordering them myself as I trust her views. I normally never both with reviews and whatnot but peeked around and it seemed to be a general consensus across the board. With some even entering the "WTF happened" realm by the end of the third book. Still think about them from time to time though.

If I recall, I think I read this series or one of his and it started out amazing and then, yes, it absolutely sucked by the third book or so. Pretty sure this is the guy.
The Dog Lord
9:37p, 5/12/24
In reply to The Dog Lord
Stormlight #3: Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson
Dawnshard by Brandon Sanderson
Stormlight #4: Rhythm of War by Brandon Sanderson
The Lost Metal by Brandon Sanderson in-progress

Took me over 2.5 months to read the first 2/3 of this one and then a few days to read the last 1/3. I guess the Sanderlanche got me with that one.

Overall, I enjoyed it as always. This one really sets some major things up, so I'm glad I only have to wait until December for the next one. Going to be a long wait after that though until he does the last 5 Stormlight books, but at least there will be more Cosmere in-between.

Once I finish The Lost Metal, I honestly need to read some summaries/wikis to help me better piece things together. I just took too long reading these to remember everything.

Random thoughts.

Jasnah's handling of Ruthar was awesome, and the storyline with Maya and the Honorspren was great once it got going.

Not Teft!

I definitely didn't expect Taravangian to kill Rayse and then claim Odium's power. I kind of wanted to see where Rayse took things, but it does seem like Taravangian is a more dangerous villain.

Holy **** a seon! I know many find Elantris to be one of his lesser works, but I enjoyed it and definitely can't wait for more Elantris someday.

I don't really need to keep notes anymore on the rest of my reading order, but the final items I had planned are:
  • Other Cosmere short stories
  • Stormlight 5 once it is released later this year

I guess I can read some of the newer standalone as well. Also, anyone read White Sands? I think I saw that a novelization may be released in the future, so I might check it out then.
The Marksman
10:31p, 5/12/24
The Pagan Lord(Saxon Stories Book 7) by Bernard Cornwell
DallasTeleAg
12:27p, 5/13/24
In reply to YouBet
Ghost Story seems to get a lot of negativity from people, but I love such a low-key, personal, introspective story after the epicness of Changes. Every time I go back through Ghost Story, I like it even more.

And then you get the awesomeness of Cold Days and Skin Game.
13B
7:38p, 5/15/24
In reply to Eliminatus
I'm on it. I'll let you know. Should be done by next week.
YouBet
7:44p, 5/15/24
In reply to DallasTeleAg
DallasTeleAg said:

Ghost Story seems to get a lot of negativity from people, but I love such a low-key, personal, introspective story after the epicness of Changes. Every time I go back through Ghost Story, I like it even more.

And then you get the awesomeness of Cold Days and Skin Game.

While I didn't love Ghost Story as much as the ones immediately prior to it, it was still really damn good. An interesting take on how he had to make do without his usual bull in a china shop self.
AGC
9:24a, 5/17/24
Just finished Sense and Sensibility (needed to break up my Pints group reads). My least favorite so far of those I've read the past few years (Pride and Prejudice, Emma). My initial impression is that she realized she had to finish it and needed a happy ending so she wrapped it up quick like. Only, despite the protagonist finding happiness, several unlikable and despicable characters wind up enriched and contented, unchanged at all. Meh.
YouBet
12:36p, 5/17/24
In reply to AGC
AGC said:

Just finished Sense and Sensibility (needed to break up my Pints group reads). My least favorite so far of those I've read the past few years (Pride and Prejudice, Emma). My initial impression is that she realized she had to finish it and needed a happy ending so she wrapped it up quick like. Only, despite the protagonist finding happiness, several unlikable and despicable characters wind up enriched and contented, unchanged at all. Meh.

I once attempted to read Pride and Prejudice...and Zombies. It was terrible and I didn't finish it. My conclusion was that if you can't improve that story with zombies then the original story must be an all-time stinker and not worth the time.
AGC
1:27p, 5/17/24
In reply to YouBet
With that criteria, how do you rank the Bible? Is Jesus a zombie, improving the source material?
YouBet
8:00a, 5/18/24
In reply to AGC
AGC said:

With that criteria, how do you rank the Bible? Is Jesus a zombie, improving the source material?

No opinion yet. I've never made it out of Genesis. I've tried twice. Maybe third time will be the charm. And I can't not start at the beginning. Reading things out of order is unholy and demonic.
TexasAggie008
10:03a, 5/18/24
In reply to texsn95
Never would have imagined in the 90s that edgy / rebellious / anti-establishment hell raisers like SK, Howard Stern, and Letterman would spend their senior years with their brains permanently broken by fellow senior / 90s icon Donald Trump.

Ah well- still love them all anyway.

Back on topic, finally read 11/22/63 (after binging most of 70s-80s SK over the last several months)…lived up to the hype for sure. If anyone else has made it through life as I had without reading his peak stuff (this one, The Shining, The Stand, Salems Lot, Pet Semetary, Tommyknockers, Needful Things) - hard to overstate how indeed great it is.
StinkyPinky
10:53a, 5/18/24
Anyone read "House of Leaves"? Hear a lot about it recently. Seems to have very polarizing love/hate reviews. Thoughts?

Currently reading Mistborn Era 2 Book 4 (Alloy of Law). Also finished last month 3 Body Problem. Trying to decide next book. Will either be Stormlight Archives, or book 2 of 3 Body Problems (Dark Forest), or re-read of Dunes Book 3 (Children of Dune). I like to break series up by skipping between different series between books. But also have seen a lot about House of Leaves that has me intrigued. Also a book called Nuclear War (Annie Jacobsen) is getting a lot of attention.
StinkyPinky
10:55a, 5/18/24
In reply to HawthornAggie
HawthornAggie said:

Finished Dune. Now I am trying to decide whether or not to reread Dune Messiah or try a new book.
Messiah is a quick read and finished up the first book nicely. I'd say soldier on.
BTHOB
3:26p, 5/18/24
In reply to StinkyPinky
StinkyPinky said:

Anyone read "House of Leaves"? Hear a lot about it recently. Seems to have very polarizing love/hate reviews. Thoughts?

Currently reading Mistborn Era 2 Book 4 (Alloy of Law). Also finished last month 3 Body Problem. Trying to decide next book. Will either be Stormlight Archives, or book 2 of 3 Body Problems (Dark Forest), or re-read of Dunes Book 3 (Children of Dune). I like to break series up by skipping between different series between books. But also have seen a lot about House of Leaves that has me intrigued. Also a book called Nuclear War (Annie Jacobsen) is getting a lot of attention.

I've read House of Leaves. I feel like it's the Neverending Story for adults. You, as a reader, are a character in the book. Different editions (of the same book) result in different reading experiences due to the way certain things are communicated throughout the book. It requires effort to read it (with all the footnotes and such) but I think it is one of the most intriguing books I've read. The book is, superficially, about a house that is bigger on the inside than the outside. There are a number of "explorations" of the house documented in the book that you go through as a reader. The book is written as a literal exploration, and you'll only understand what I mean if you read it.
Dr. Mephisto
9:10p, 5/18/24
Finished "Is Athiesm Dead" by Eric Metaxas via Audible.

Very thoughtfully presented. I found myself wanting to sit in the car after I got somewhere several times.

He full on takes on the 'Four Horsemen" of Atheism and does a good job of countering their positions and claims. He's not shy at pointing to the logical faults that the atheists never fully explain.

Would readily recommend!

On pg 220 of COMC.

Also of 200 of "My Heart is a Chainsaw" by Stephen Graham Jones.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 7 of 8
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings