What's the origin of "Pro-Bonfire" signs and T-shirts?
5,031 Views | 4 Replies
commando2004
10:03p, 8/18/18
Inspired by a Facebook profile thing that Off Campus Hogs is doing right now.

Back when I was a student (2000-2006), the "Pro-Bonfire" slogan meant opposition to Bowen's decision to cancel Bonfire in the wake of Collapse. But I'm aware that declaring yourself "Pro-Bonfire" was an Old Army thing from when Bonfire still burned on campus.

So, when and how did it start?
COKEMAN
10:55a, 8/20/18
Pretty sure it started in response to AAB (Aggies Against Bonfire) in the early 90s. That was a group of mostly professors that was bent on eliminating Bonfire.

That's the first I remember it. I think the signs started popping up in Walton windows and spread from there.
Grits
9:24p, 8/21/18
In reply to commando2004

our yellowpots really are THAT ugly.
-OCHWFLAKASSBRTTEFE-
EVA3
4:51p, 11/23/18
In reply to COKEMAN
COKEMAN said:

Pretty sure it started in response to AAB (Aggies Against Bonfire) in the early 90s. That was a group of mostly professors that was bent on eliminating Bonfire.

That's the first I remember it. I think the signs started popping up in Walton windows and spread from there.

Pretty much correct. There was a group of environmental wackos and lefty Kooks back in the 80s and 90s who wanted to do away with Bonfire. The Pro-Bonfire signs were in response to that movement.

Don't know if it started in Walton or not.
aBouncedCzech
3:00p, 8/30/19
Remember the website, "Bonfire...Dumb as Dirt"?
MosesHall99
10:49a, 11/14/19
Just jumping in to agree. The "Pro Bonfire" signage was a non-reg response to the AAB group that flourished in the late 80s/early 90s.

It became a way to pressure other non regs to get off their ass and do something for Bonfire.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings