Fascinating Horror: The Aggie Bonfire Collapse

2,551 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 22 days ago by aeon-ag
BonfireNerd04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My mom sent me this link tonight, from a YouTube channel that covers engineering disasters. The narrator gets the date wrong (November 19), but otherwise not bad for a 13-minute documentary.

DeadCiv
AG
Thanks for posting
cavjock88
AG
Interesting piece, that is, from everything I recall (I was back in Grad school during the collapse), correct, except for one important thing, that I believe is true, but folks can fact check me on it.

Prior to the early 60s, TAMC was a military school with a Corps divided into Regiments, Battalions and Air Force units. Those units were according to military specialties (Air Force, Armor, Artillery, Cavalry (ending in the late 40s), Chemical Warfare, Coast Artillery (also phased out in the 40s), Engineering, Ordinance, Signal Corps, etc.). In the early 60s the Corps changed and military branch became the driving force for unit affiliation, not unit specialization.

This is important, because at that time the Bonfire shifted from an Engineering company run event (My Dad class of 54 told me that in his day the Engineering outfits ran Bonfire and no one did anything on it that they didn't oversee.) to a pass down Redpot run event. Engineering companies were no longer running it, because they didn't officially exist anymore. It was folks who put in the effort to get to a Redpot position that ran it with pass down knowledge, but not necessarily engineering knowledge.

That key loss of engineering oversight, I believe, played a huge part in the eventual collapse. It wasn't that it lasted as long as it did with a pass down approach, but that there was a key loss of engineering oversight.

That, along with the Southside neighborhoods forcing a relocation to the Pollo Fields which is a field with a noticeable slope vs Duncan field both were major factors in the collapse, in my opinion.
aggiese72
AG
RiP Aggie 12.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I believe the change to Red Pots was a result of incorporating non-reg student participants into Bonfire leadership in the 1960s, though I could be mistaken.
aeon-ag
cavjock88 said:

Interesting piece, that is, from everything I recall (I was back in Grad school during the collapse), correct, except for one important thing, that I believe is true, but folks can fact check me on it.

Prior to the early 60s, TAMC was a military school with a Corps divided into Regiments, Battalions and Air Force units. Those units were according to military specialties (Air Force, Armor, Artillery, Cavalry (ending in the late 40s), Chemical Warfare, Coast Artillery (also phased out in the 40s), Engineering, Ordinance, Signal Corps, etc.). In the early 60s the Corps changed and military branch became the driving force for unit affiliation, not unit specialization.

This is important, because at that time the Bonfire shifted from an Engineering company run event (My Dad class of 54 told me that in his day the Engineering outfits ran Bonfire and no one did anything on it that they didn't oversee.) to a pass down Redpot run event. Engineering companies were no longer running it, because they didn't officially exist anymore. It was folks who put in the effort to get to a Redpot position that ran it with pass down knowledge, but not necessarily engineering knowledge.

That key loss of engineering oversight, I believe, played a huge part in the eventual collapse. It wasn't that it lasted as long as it did with a pass down approach, but that there was a key loss of engineering oversight.

That, along with the Southside neighborhoods forcing a relocation to the Pollo Fields which is a field with a noticeable slope vs Duncan field both were major factors in the collapse, in my opinion.

'"It wasn't that it lasted as long as it did with a pass down approach, but that there was a key loss of engineering oversight." EXACTLY!!!!! The wedding cake design offered no structural support. It was done this way to make it look NEAT!!

"That, along with the Southside neighborhoods forcing a relocation to the Pollo Fields which is a field with a noticeable slope vs Duncan field both were major factors in the collapse, in my opinion."

Yes, another notable factor! If students could have behaved themselves and not made a drunkfest out of it, urinating in the southside neighbors yards, and a church yard as well and puking and passing out maybe these residents may not have complained.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.