The (New) Global Methodist Church
91,576 Views | 544 Replies
OnlyForNow
1:08p, 8/30/22
In reply to nortex97
Did you miss this?

https://spectator.org/methodist-church-first-drag-queen-pastor-god-is-nothing/

It's a "one church thing in the mid-west" so why should us Texas churches care...?

I'll tell you why, because damnit the people who are breaking the rules agreed to live by them.

I'm not a Methodist or any other denomination pastor, I struggle living a good healthy Christian life as a member of the laity, but don't agree to do a job that has x, y, z rules and then break them on purpose and then EXPECT to be exempt from punishment.

I don't care what you are and what you do, or who you live with for the most part - but if the rules say you're supposed to wear a purple jumpsuit for Sunday services, well, you took the job....
BAP Enthusiast
12:09a, 8/31/22
In reply to 88Warrior
88Warrior said:

OnlyForNow said:

My church, one of the oldest UMCs in Texas, took a straw poll on Sunday.

The vote favored no period of discernment (40 for - 80 against), Admin Council meeting tonight for the official vote.

Unfortunately, I feel our pastor did not articulate what a period of discernment actually meant; and painted the GMC as negative - while staying UMC would mean nothing changes.

Really torn on this.

I personally see the UMC steering hard left almost immediately, once the conservatives leave for the GMC - even though the conservatives won the vote in 2019. At the 2024 conference, that conservative voice will be gone and won't be voting to maintain and enforce the current book of discipline. It will most likely vote to change the book of discipline or agree to completely not enforce the most contentious section(s).

I really don't think the UMC will exist 10 to 12 years after the conservatives leave….I think this is why they keep pushing out the General Conference because they know the $$ is going away….just my opinion..

Of course it won't. Only conservatives really support churches on the whole. Leftist churches never last long, especially once they decided to fully embrace humanism. Once that happens, the church becomes essentially pointless.
aggieband 83
8:33p, 8/31/22
I posted on the previous page that some of us from Louise/Ganado were going to FUMC-Gonzalez to hear a presentation from a Global representative. We went to Gonzalez last Sunday. The speakers name is Leah Hidde-Gregory. She was previously a District Superintendent from the Central Texas Conference. Before that a pastor at FUMC-Hillsboro. The sanctuary was over 3/4 full. Many were from churches besides Gonzalez as well. The following are a few points I found interesting:

I knew that GMC bishops would not have a "lifetime" appointment. I did not know they will be capped at a maximum of 12 years of service. This might be a 4 year, 8 year or 12 year term. After their term is completed, they will be able to return to the pulpit as a pastor at the local level if they so desire. If not, they can retire.

District Superintendents will not exist as we know it today. An "Elder" will be assigned to 10-15 churches. The Elder will counsel/visit with pastors of local churches. The Elder will have similar duties to a Superintendent but not be responsible for 100% of the pastors within 1 district. This will allow much more 1 on 1 time with the pastors & churches.

Since there is no trust clause in the GMC, the local church will have full ownership and control of their property.

The apportionment the local church pays will be based on the previous years operating income. The operating income is derived from the tithes and offerings received in the previous year. The apportionment paid is:
1.5% to the GMC.
5% to the annual conference you are a part of.
The rest of the tithes and offerings stay at the local church.
Any money the local church receives from memorial giving is exempt from the operating income.

There will be a similar lay speaker system to allow laity to speak in the absence of a local pastor. This will still allow a pastor to go on vacation or retreat. The lay speaker will be allowed to bring the morning message to all churches within his or her district.

Leah is a very energetic speaker. She is very capable and will be very valuable to the GMC. I would like to hear her preach some day. She is also a preachers kid like me. If y'all have the opportunity to hear her speak on behalf of the GMC, do it.

88Warrior
9:17p, 8/31/22
In reply to aggieband 83
aggieband 83 said:

I posted on the previous page that some of us from Louise/Ganado were going to FUMC-Gonzalez to hear a presentation from a Global representative. We went to Gonzalez last Sunday. The speakers name is Leah Hidde-Gregory. She was previously a District Superintendent from the Central Texas Conference. Before that a pastor at FUMC-Hillsboro. The sanctuary was over 3/4 full. Many were from churches besides Gonzalez as well. The following are a few points I found interesting:

I knew that GMC bishops would not have a "lifetime" appointment. I did not know they will be capped at a maximum of 12 years of service. This might be a 4 year, 8 year or 12 year term. After their term is completed, they will be able to return to the pulpit as a pastor at the local level if they so desire. If not, they can retire.

District Superintendents will not exist as we know it today. An "Elder" will be assigned to 10-15 churches. The Elder will counsel/visit with pastors of local churches. The Elder will have similar duties to a Superintendent but not be responsible for 100% of the pastors within 1 district. This will allow much more 1 on 1 time with the pastors & churches.

Since there is no trust clause in the GMC, the local church will have full ownership and control of their property.

The apportionment the local church pays will be based on the previous years operating income. The operating income is derived from the tithes and offerings received in the previous year. The apportionment paid is:
1.5% to the GMC.
5% to the annual conference you are a part of.
The rest of the tithes and offerings stay at the local church.
Any money the local church receives from memorial giving is exempt from the operating income.

There will be a similar lay speaker system to allow laity to speak in the absence of a local pastor. This will still allow a pastor to go on vacation or retreat. The lay speaker will be allowed to bring the morning message to all churches within his or her district.

Leah is a very energetic speaker. She is very capable and will be very valuable to the GMC. I would like to hear her preach some day. She is also a preachers kid like me. If y'all have the opportunity to hear her speak on behalf of the GMC, do it.

Good information! Since we voted to disaffiliate we're taking our time and taking a long look at all our options before committing….Global Methodist..Free Methodist..Church of the Nazarene..Wesleyan etc…I personally think we'll end up Global but we'll see…
Fishing Fools
9:42p, 8/31/22
Leah Hidde-Gregory Is a special lady. Saw her on a Zoom meeting several months ago. She knows her stuff when it comes to the corruption of the UMC.
nortex97
5:28a, 9/1/22
In reply to Fishing Fools
I am starting to think the GMC will wind up being a much more successful denomination than the UMC even was.

It could wind up being, along with the SBC, the last 'mainline' US Protestant denominations standing, imho.
The Shank Ag
5:38p, 9/7/22
https://firstshreveport.com/media/1173106-4835735-32710248/the-umc?fbclid=IwAR10I5or9HDO5D_Trn-hb1pn0gFcqp6DrKvpkuhjqRujwNwFK9PyIeB5IgQ

Good one to check out. Lengthy but goes over a ton of info
OaklandAg06
9:58a, 9/8/22
In reply to The Shank Ag
Thank you for sharing- very good presentation
88Warrior
10:55a, 9/8/22
In reply to The Shank Ag
The Shank Ag said:

https://firstshreveport.com/media/1173106-4835735-32710248/the-umc?fbclid=IwAR10I5or9HDO5D_Trn-hb1pn0gFcqp6DrKvpkuhjqRujwNwFK9PyIeB5IgQ

Good one to check out. Lengthy but goes over a ton of info

Good summary on how the denomination got to this point…
Fishing Fools
11:12a, 9/9/22
Not sure if this has been posted,

UTExan
11:28a, 9/9/22
In reply to Fishing Fools
Excellent news. Thanks for sharing.
That's Terry Teykll's former church?
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Buck Turgidson
2:06p, 9/15/22
I grew up in a Methodist household. My parents were members at St. Paul's near the Rice campus for over 50 years. My great-great grandfather was a Methodist horseback circuit minister back in the 1880s in the Dakotas. Even as a college kid in the 80s the Methodists were getting too (theologically) watered down for my taste. I used to call them the "I'm okay, you're okay church". Now many in the UMC have drifted into outright heresy. I don't believe the hard left members of the UMC clergy are actually Christians at all (to be a Christian, you must be earnestly trying to follow Christ and his teachings).

I researched and visited a variety of churches as a college student and ultimately was baptized at A&M Church of Christ. About 35 years later I'm still quite happy with that decision. If you believe in the Bible as the inerrant word of God, believe each congregation should govern itself, that staff & clergy should answer to the congregation (through the elders), that baptism should be for believers who have reached the age of accountability, and you can live without a big pipe organ, you might like it at your local Church of Christ. In the relatively rare cases where a Church of Christ congregation starts veering to the left, they'll have the good taste to change their name. Thus you can usually count on most Churches of Christ to be very theologically conservative.
OnlyForNow
2:34p, 9/15/22
In reply to Buck Turgidson
I am making light of this, but man you had me right up until I have to give up the pipe organ.

No deal.
twk
2:38p, 9/15/22
In reply to OnlyForNow
OnlyForNow said:

I am making light of this, but man you had me right up until I have to give up the pipe organ.

No deal.
nortex97
2:53p, 9/15/22
In reply to OnlyForNow
Amen.
aggieband 83
3:44p, 9/15/22
In reply to OnlyForNow
OnlyForNow said:

No deal.
I love singing in a solid pipe organ church. Until you have sung in a country piano church , you have not truly sang a hymn. May God bless Louise Methodist! He only knows what the future holds.
OnlyForNow
3:48p, 9/15/22
In reply to aggieband 83
St. John's in Richmond has both an organ (electric)
and a piano!

malenurse
4:58p, 9/15/22
In reply to OnlyForNow
But they are staying UMC
The Shank Ag
8:16p, 9/15/22
In reply to Buck Turgidson
Buck Turgidson said:

that baptism should be for believers who have reached the age of accountability

Here's where I jumped off. My 8 month old son John has Down Syndrome. As seen by this picture below my post, he was baptized at FUMC Cleburne in June.

Whether John ever reaches an understanding like you're talking about or fully grasps accountability is yet to be seen. However Gods grace is a gift that requires no prerequisites of age, mental capacity, or predetermined action. Gods love doesn't have "if's" attached to it. There is no "God loves you if you do A B or C". I've been very vocal in this thread, and it's pretty obvious I'm not a fan of the current heading of the UMC, but attitudes such as this that the Baptist's and apparently CoC take towards baptism really are not something I can ever get on board with.

dermdoc
8:23p, 9/15/22
In reply to The Shank Ag
God bless you and your son.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aggieband 83
8:41p, 9/15/22
In reply to The Shank Ag
There are 3 ways for baptism in the UMC. First is baptism as an infant or young child. The parents and congregation are charged with raising the baptised infant or child in the church until the child takes confirmation class to join the church. At this time is when the confirmands are taught about the baptism they received as an infant or when they were a young child. When they are confirmed into the church they are asked if they still believe in the baptism they received earlier in life. It is how they confirm the baptism already received but do not have to baptised again since it was already given to them.

The 2nd way is if a confirmand was never baptised, they are then baptised as part of their confirmation into the church.

The 3rd way is being baptised as an adult without going through confirmation class.

Since there is one God, there is one baptism. If anyone has been baptised, irregardless of when or where they were baptised - their baptism is recognized as being part of the church family. In other words, they do not have to be baptised in a Methodist church if it has been received in a different church or different denomination. I always like this philosophy of the UMC.

If any Methodist church is not following these 3 options, they are not following the Discipline of the UMC.
Buck Turgidson
9:04a, 9/16/22
In reply to The Shank Ag
Don't misunderstand - we don't believe those who die while young children or are mentally impaired and never reach a necessary understanding to have a believers baptism are going to Hell. Too big a discussion/derail for this thread though.
nortex97
9:09a, 9/16/22
In reply to The Shank Ag
Great post.

I think such baptisms should of course be allowed and I don't think that is the intent of the GMC statement/doctrinal outline but I can see why that would be a big deal.

I'd note per above that's a bigger discussion than for this thread yet also per aggieband 83 the GMC is likely to take a similar approach here to the 'old' UMC one, which is pretty inclusive/accommodating.
The Shank Ag
9:52a, 9/16/22
In reply to nortex97
nortex97 said:

Great post.

I think such baptisms should of course be allowed and I don't think that is the intent of the GMC statement/doctrinal outline but I can see why that would be a big deal.

I'd note per above that's a bigger discussion than for this thread yet also per aggieband 83 the GMC is likely to take a similar approach here to the 'old' UMC one, which is pretty inclusive/accommodating.

100% with you on GMC teachings. I was replying to a Church of Christ poster who was somewhat demeaning infant baptism
MTTANK
8:08p, 9/20/22
CUMC in south CS just voted 90% to disaffiliate and join Global.
GIG 'EM
UTExan
1:22p, 9/21/22
82 churches in the Central Texas Conference alone have now disaffiliated with the United Methodist Church.

https://globalmethodist.org/a-fresh-start/
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
OnlyForNow
1:37p, 9/21/22
In reply to UTExan
Out of? Just curious.

Ours voted to stay in, and no even go through discernment. I feel pastor had a lot to do with that and some people are gonna end up being very surprised.
malenurse
2:19p, 9/21/22
In reply to OnlyForNow
This is what I am hearing. I believe Pastor Gantz, if not outright lying, has severely misled the congregation about the issues at hand.
MTTANK
2:23p, 9/21/22
In reply to OnlyForNow
OnlyForNow said:

Out of? Just curious.

Ours voted to stay in, and no even go through discernment. I feel pastor had a lot to do with that and some people are gonna end up being very surprised.
A&M Methodist in CS has a similar situation with the pastor, maybe worse. He has told the congregation nobody is really leaving and its only a couple of oddball church's doing it. My understanding from leadership is he said he would leave if the church even wanted to take a vote on it. I'm pretty certain they would vote to disaffiliate if given the chance. Shameful.
GIG 'EM
nortex97
2:29p, 9/21/22
In reply to OnlyForNow
OnlyForNow said:

Out of? Just curious.

320, I believe. That's a lot to go, in one weekend, especially this early. I do hope to see a better Global Methodist site/ability to drill into congregations both that have joined, and are in the process/have voted to disaffiliate from the UMC.

I have read some questions about whether United Theological Seminary will remain in the UMC also.
OnlyForNow
2:43p, 9/21/22
In reply to malenurse
IMO people at the church were misled on what discernment meant. I also think that the vote on discernment confused people - based on some personal interactions with some folks.

It was sold more so that discernment meant the church was leaving and discernment was a period of time that was required by UMC as a formality.

It bothers me though, that the UMC body has through abuse of privilege and power, forced the more conservative majority out - the majority that chose to stick to the existing book of discipline and act on it appropriately when doling out "punishment" for those that broke the rules. So what will end up being left in the UMC, for now, is the indecisive middle (St. John's) and left-wing whackos (LWW) that IMO shouldn't be part of the UMC to begin with - making it easy for the LWW to negate the majority vote from 2017/2018, and then toss out anything else that they want.

In truth, we don't know what UMC will do at the next annual conference as it relates to the book of discipline and/or politics, but I am sure that it will surprise none of us on this thread. I do think many churches will be surprised at how fast UMC takes a left turn, whenever that occurs. Might not be this year, but it will be in the next 10 years.
UTExan
2:48p, 9/21/22
In reply to OnlyForNow
OnlyForNow said:

IMO people at the church were misled on what discernment meant. I also think that the vote on discernment confused people - based on some personal interactions with some folks.

It was sold more so that discernment meant the church was leaving and discernment was a period of time that was required by UMC as a formality.

It bothers me though, that the UMC body has through abuse of privilege and power, forced the more conservative majority out - the majority that chose to stick to the existing book of discipline and act on it appropriately when doling out "punishment" for those that broke the rules. So what will end up being left in the UMC, for now, is the indecisive middle (St. John's) and left-wing whackos (LWW) that IMO shouldn't be part of the UMC to begin with - making it easy for the LWW to negate the majority vote from 2017/2018, and then toss out anything else that they want.

In truth, we don't know what UMC will do at the next annual conference as it relates to the book of discipline and/or politics, but I am sure that it will surprise none of us on this thread. I do think many churches will be surprised at how fast UMC takes a left turn, whenever that occurs. Might not be this year, but it will be in the next 10 years.

It already happened. While the bishops were unwilling to enforce the Discipline, they sure decided to go after gun owners by decrying "the idolatry of guns". Just like Democrat politicians, they can have armed private security protecting them at times, but guns don't belong in the hands of citizens.
Not a Bot
6:22p, 9/21/22
In reply to OnlyForNow
OnlyForNow said:

Out of? Just curious.

I talked to a friend of mine who has been a member of a Methodist church their entire life. The church leadership council or whatever it is called is refusing to allow the church to discuss or vote. The pastor is apparently trying to prevent a vote from taking place. Most of the people on the leadership council are conservatives who don't support what the left-wing of the church is doing but they unfortunately believe everything will blow over and they want to ride it out. I many of them just simply don't understand the ramifications of what they are doing. It is sad. The area bishop is also pushing churches to stay.
bushytailed
6:52p, 9/21/22
In reply to MTTANK
MTTANK said:

OnlyForNow said:

Out of? Just curious.

A&M Methodist in CS has a similar situation with the pastor, maybe worse. He has told the congregation nobody is really leaving and its only a couple of oddball church's doing it. My understanding from leadership is he said he would leave if the church even wanted to take a vote on it. I'm pretty certain they would vote to disaffiliate if given the chance. Shameful.

This is my church and this saddens me.
aggieband 83
8:24p, 9/21/22
In reply to bushytailed
You are well within your right to ask. First, ask him in private for a churchwide informative meeting.. If he dodges the question, ask for a future church information meeting during the announcements portion of the service. If there are other like minded people in attendance, they can chime in about wanting an information meeting.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 3 of 16
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings