Pope Francis expected to ask Bishop Strickland to retire
33,847 Views | 353 Replies
PabloSerna
10:50a, 11/5/23
In reply to Dad-O-Lot
I do think that it will boil down to love because it is the one thing that is evidence of God.

Your examples are not the same. Love of money is not the same as love for another person. These people love each other as you love your wife or husband. That is completely different than love of money because that type of "love" is self directed. Hope you can see that difference.

I think it is important to notice the words used in the Catholic Catechism which states that "homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered " since they are closed to the gift of life. So that is the basis for not equating any blessing of same sex couples with the sacrament of marriage.

Would be interested to see what will be written of the love between homosexual persons.
aggietony2010
11:00a, 11/5/23
In reply to PabloSerna
PabloSerna said:

I do think that it will boil down to love because it is the one thing that is evidence of God.

Your examples are not the same. Love of money is not the same as love for another person. These people love each other as you love your wife or husband. That is completely different than love of money because that type of "love" is self directed. Hope you can see that difference.

I think it is important to notice the words used in the Catholic Catechism which states that "homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered " since they are closed to the gift of life. So that is the basis for not equating any blessing of same sex couples with the sacrament of marriage.

Would be interested to see what will be written of the love between homosexual persons.

When you realize this a actually a lie that Satan has been whispering to you, then you might figure it out
Dad-O-Lot
1:57p, 11/5/23
In reply to PabloSerna
PabloSerna said:

OK, then wouldn't more love be even better? Why not multiple spouses?

No, contrary to popular opinion, Love is not enough! Using "Love" as the measure of whether a relationship is right or good (or deserves the Church's blessing) opens the door to accepting many heinous types of relationships.

The love of money example only shows that love can be disordered. Love for material things, and pursuing a romantic relationship with someone with whom it would be sinful to do so are two examples of disordered "love".

Does it not seem a bit strange to you that the same Church that will not bless a relationship with one or more divorcee's without first anulling the initial marriage should at the same time bless a same sex relationship?
People of integrity expect to be believed, when they're not, they let time prove them right.
PabloSerna
8:35p, 11/5/23
In reply to Dad-O-Lot
I think you are missing my point that it not "love" that is disordered according to the CCC, it is the act. I would read that very carefully.

I am posing the question of love between two persons of the same sex, not multiple persons. Maybe it's beyond this forum?
Terminus Est
9:03p, 11/5/23
In reply to PabloSerna
PabloSerna said:

I think you are missing my point that it not "love" that is disordered according to the CCC, it is the act. I would read that very carefully.

I am posing the question of love between two persons of the same sex, not multiple persons. Maybe it's beyond this forum?

What kind of love? I'm certain you know there are several expressions.
TAM85
11:13a, 11/6/23
Marriage is one of the seven sacraments. The blessing will not be. That is a major distinction.
Bob Lee
1:52p, 11/6/23
In reply to TAM85
TAM85 said:

Marriage is one of the seven sacraments. The blessing will not be. That is a major distinction.

It's an exercise in futility. Like the premise of the movie Dogma. There's NO loophole. You can't trick God.
Why aren't we asking why people like Fr. James Martin are allowed to continue to string people along? Those people are always inevitably disappointed in the Church's answer to their pleas (no matter how "pastoral" her reply to them).
Why are they disappointed? We did synodality. They're being included. I was under the impression they only wanted to be heard and included.
jrico2727
1:59p, 11/6/23
So the goal posts have gone from you cannot bless sin to a blessing is not the same as a sacrament
TAM85
2:53p, 11/6/23
In reply to jrico2727
jrico2727 said:

So the goal posts have gone from you cannot bless sin to a blessing is not the same as a sacrament
A blessing is not similar to or like a sacrament. Do you know the church also holds pet blessings?
The Banned
3:03p, 11/6/23
In reply to TAM85
TAM85 said:

jrico2727 said:

A blessing is not similar to or like a sacrament. Do you know the church also holds pet blessings?

Are pets inherently sinful? not the best analogy
TAM85
3:15p, 11/6/23
Blessings are not tightly restricted by the church. Homes are blessed; medals are blessed; Advent wreaths are blessed; water is blessed.

It is not a reason to get upset if the church blesses two individuals in a same sex marriage or blesses a pet that has no soul. Neither of those acts are sacraments.
SoulSlaveAG2005
4:00p, 11/6/23
In reply to TAM85
TAM85 said:

Blessings are not tightly restricted by the church. Homes are blessed; medals are blessed; Advent wreaths are blessed; water is blessed.

It is not a reason to get upset if the church blesses two individuals in a same sex marriage or blesses a pet that has no soul. Neither of those acts are sacraments.

The kicker here being what is being blessed…

Are we blessing the individual to help them find grace and grow in Christ? The church blesses groups all the time for various reasons to provide them prayerful strength in their vocations.

OR

Are we blessing a disordered relationship and their sexual union that is sinful? The sinfulness not being in dispute by anyone here apparently… how can the church bless something it considers sinful?
Dad-O-Lot
4:20p, 11/6/23
There is a difference between blessing an individual, or even a group of individuals, and blessing a relationship.

The Blessing of a relationship is a tacit approval by the clergy of that relationship.

What do you think would happen if you asked a priest to bless your deck of tarot cards, or your ouija board?

Any faithful Priest would refuse to bless an inherently sinful item, and they should refuse to bless an inherently sinful relationship.

Blessing the individuals in such a relationship is something completely different. The Church has specific blessing rites for many different occasions and circumstances, a same sex relationship should not be added to that list.
People of integrity expect to be believed, when they're not, they let time prove them right.
TAM85
4:32p, 11/6/23
I read it as blessing the people (the couple), not the marriage. People are sinful; people may be blessed. I suppose it could be worded clearer. But nonetheless if same-sex marriage was added to the sacrament of marriage, that would be a major change in the church.
Dad-O-Lot
4:47p, 11/6/23
In reply to TAM85
TAM85 said:

I read it as blessing the people (the couple), not the marriage. People are sinful; people may be blessed. I suppose it could be worded clearer. But nonetheless if same-sex marriage was added to the sacrament of marriage, that would be a major change in the church.
If an official, "Rite of Blessing of a same sex couple" is added, that would be a major change in the Church.
Dad-O-Lot
4:52p, 11/6/23
See ibreviary - blessing rites for some examples of official Rites of Blessing for various people and things.

1. Blessing Of A Married Couple
2. Blessing Of Children
3. Blessing Of Sons and Daughters
4. Blessing Of Parents Before Childbirth
5. Blessing Of A Mother Before Childbirth
6. Blessing Of A Mother After Childbirth
7. Blessing Of Parents After Miscarriage
8. Blessing On The Occasion Of A Birthday
9. Blessing Of Elderly People Confined To Their Homes
10. Blessing Of The Sick
11. Blessing Of Students And Teachers
12. Blessing Of Travelers
13. Blessing For A Catechetical Or Prayer Meeting
14. Blessing Of Religious Articles
15. Blessing Of A Rosary
16. Blessing Of Boats And Fishing Gear
17. Blessing Of The Various Means Of Transportation
18. Blessing Of Animals
19. Blessing Of Tools Or Other Equipment For Work
20. Blessing Of Seeds At Planting Time
21. Blessing Of An Athletic Event
22. Blessing Of Homes During The Christmas Or Easter Season
23. Blessing Of An Advent Wreath
24. Blessing Of A Christmas Manger Or Nativity Scene
25. Blessing Of A Christmas Tree
26. Blessing Of Food On Thanksgiving Day
27. Blessing Of Food For The First Meal Of Easter
28. Blessing Of Throats On The Feast Of Saint Blaise
29. Blessing of Saint Joseph's Table

None of these are inherently sinful.
TAM85
5:31p, 11/6/23
In reply to Dad-O-Lot
Dad-O-Lot said:

TAM85 said:

If an official, "Rite of Blessing of a same sex couple" is added, that would be a major change in the Church.
Not as significant as adding same-sex marriages to the sacrament of marriage. Further, it is not a rite of blessing or a ritual.
747Ag
6:27p, 11/6/23
In reply to Dad-O-Lot
Dad-O-Lot said:

TAM85 said:

https://www.patreon.com/posts/expanding-my-on-90524613

These supposed blessings, in simple terms, give scandal to the faithful. As others seem to be doing, there is no triumph in being technically orthodox when it confuses the faithful. The average Catholic cannot wade through the flood of nuance and distinctions. Clarity is charity.

Read the whole thing from Ybarra.
aggietony2010
5:46a, 11/11/23
AggieRain
6:19a, 11/11/23
This pope is making it hard to understand what Catholics stand for anymore.
SoulSlaveAG2005
7:28a, 11/11/23
Sad day in our Diocese. Lots of feelings and thoughts. Not many of them charitable or kind about the Pope and situation or the world in general.
RAB91
7:33a, 11/11/23
And the German bishops promoting gay marriage stay in place. What makes it even more sad is how few bishops stood up for him.

The Church has survived bad popes before, and we'll survive this one. I hope the next pope comes sooner rather than later.
jrico2727
7:41a, 11/11/23
In reply to SoulSlaveAG2005
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

Sad day in our Diocese. Lots of feelings and thoughts. Not many of them charitable or kind about the Pope and situation or the world in general.

Many prayers for you all, this is a travesty.
747Ag
7:55a, 11/11/23
In reply to RAB91
RAB91 said:

And the German bishops promoting gay marriage stay in place. What makes it even more sad is how few bishops stood up for him.

The Church has survived bad popes before, and we'll survive this one. I hope the next pope comes sooner rather than later.
Justice is inverted.
ChiefHaus
7:58a, 11/11/23
Our Lady of Akita, pray for us.
jrico2727
8:02a, 11/11/23
In reply to ChiefHaus
ChiefHaus said:

Our Lady of Akita, pray for us.

Sadly her warnings are coming true. ,
RAB91
8:42a, 11/11/23
And to my point about other bishops, what a bunch of nothing this statement is from DiNardo.

I'm borrowing this.... but it appears that the only thing that gets you fired by this pope is actually being Catholic.
Psych
8:51a, 11/11/23
Punishing people who criticize you is not a good look for the self proclaimed Pope of compassion.
Klaus Schwab
9:16a, 11/11/23
Crazy to have that much power in one person.
Psych
9:29a, 11/11/23
In reply to Klaus Schwab
Klaus Schwab said:

Crazy to have that much power in one person.

Lol. Username does NOT check out!
Mark Fairchild
9:59a, 11/11/23
In reply to SoulSlaveAG2005
Our hearts, thoughts, and prayers are with all of your Diocese. We have been praying for Bishop Strickland and for all his Diocese since the visitation. The news this morning has caused both my wife and myself to share some tears. We have watched this brave voice for our Lord in many circumstances: the USCCB November meeting when the Pro-Life group was praying the Rosary to end Roe vs Wade. While the rest of the Bishops took a long lunch, Bishop Strickland quietly walked across the street, knelt and prayed with them. The Dodgers' game this year when he held a Rosary across from the baseball park and prayed the Rosary. When he has written extensively explanations of the "Deposit of Faith". When he has celebrated the TLM because he could not deny a part of his flock. So many other things too numerous to count.
Today, he has become in my belief, a "White Martyr" for our Catholic Faith, and for our Lord. Which, I might add, I also believe we will all be called to become before all is said and done. I pray that he continues to shepherd all of us, and especially all of you in the Tyler Diocese.
Know that you are in our Rosary! Mark and Marsha
hockeyag
10:31a, 11/11/23
A question: Are parishes/ diocese required to pay a "tax" to the Vatican?
The Pope clearly dislikes/distrusts American Catholics, but likes the money sent his way.
Maybe a financial boycott is a suitable response.
SoulSlaveAG2005
10:56a, 11/11/23
In reply to Mark Fairchild
Thank you.
747Ag
11:03a, 11/11/23
In reply to hockeyag
hockeyag said:

The Pope clearly dislikes/distrusts American Catholics, but likes the money sent his way.

No tax. There's annual collections (voluntary) for a charity called Peter's Pence. People have been already withholding donations.
RAB91
11:09a, 11/11/23
In reply to 747Ag
747Ag said:

hockeyag said:

No tax. There's annual collections (voluntary) for a charity called Peter's Pence. People have been already withholding donations.
As parishoners we have very few ways to push back. Other than prayer, the only real option is to start withholding donations to anything at the diocesan level. I know that it is a little bit of cut off your nose to spite your face, but I'm really considering stopping my DSF donations in my diocese. I know that my individual donations won't make a difference, but if enough people do it it might. I'll still continue to donate to my local parish.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 7 of 11
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings