Pope Francis expected to ask Bishop Strickland to retire

33,022 Views | 352 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by RAB91
Dies Irae
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.pillarcatholic.com/p/pope-francis-meets-to-discuss-strickland

Terrible, horrible news. A consistent voice of orthodoxy and stability crying out from East Texas. I hope the Holy Father and Bishop Strickland are able to find some middle ground where they can coexist. Bishop Strickland probably needs to learn how to leaven his orthodoxy with tact like my favorite Bishop, fighting Texas Aggie former pastor Bishop David Konderla whose orthodoxy is tempered with massive amounts of humility.

*resign not retire
jrico2727
AG
Liberals make the best Tyrants.

This is just a warning for any good bishops who will want to speak up after the Synod tries alter the age old teachings of the church.

AggieRain
AG
I'm praying for white smoke to billow out of the Sistine Chapel in the near future...
Dies Irae
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Bishop Strickland led a great Mass on Sunday. Church was packed, standing room only.. focus was 100% on Christ and the Eucharist.
747Ag
AG
Justice is inverted.
PabloSerna
AG
Is it all about him after all? Pope is right then.
PabloSerna
AG
jrico2727 said:

This is just a warning for any good bishops who will want to speak up after the Synod tries alter the age old teachings of the church.

Which commandment is this again?
747Ag
AG
PabloSerna said:

What a bizarre thing to say.
PabloSerna
AG
747Ag said:

PabloSerna said:

You think there are other Bishops who disagree with Pope Francis, but don't air it out on social media?
747Ag
AG
PabloSerna said:

747Ag said:

PabloSerna said:

You think there are other Bishops who disagree with Pope Francis, but don't air it out on social media?
You think it's about him or is it about Him? You think what Bishop Strickland does is about Bishop Strickland or is it about our Blessed Lord?
Dies Irae
PabloSerna said:

747Ag said:

PabloSerna said:

I can't help but think your goal is to create a church where those who actually believe and follow what the church traditionally taught are unwelcome, and those who embrace this new radical sort of "pastoral" (read: all who are on the progressive far left) movement are welcomed.

I will refrain from saying anything negative publicly about the Holy Father as it is not my place; but I am putting in overtime trying to discern some of the moves taking place
747Ag
AG
747Ag said:

PabloSerna said:

747Ag said:

PabloSerna said:

You think it's about him or is it about Him? You think what Bishop Strickland does is about Bishop Strickland or is it about our Blessed Lord?
From my observations and readings of his Excellency, I believe he is motivated by the call to holiness and a deep love of our Blessed Lord. He daily spends time with our Eucharistic King (as did Ven. Sheen). And then I read this pastoral letter. It is gentle yet firm. It's a gentle reminder that does admonish the sinner (Spiritual Work of Mercy).

https://www.dioceseoftyler.org/2023/09/12/pastoral-letter-from-bishop-strickland-sept-12-2023/
Dies Irae
747Ag said:

747Ag said:

PabloSerna said:

747Ag said:

PabloSerna said:

From my observations and readings of his Excellency, I believe he is motivated by the call to holiness and a deep love of our Blessed Lord. He daily spends time with our Eucharistic King (as did Ven. Sheen). And then I read this pastoral letter. It is gentle yet firm. It's a gentle reminder that does admonish the sinner (Spiritual Work of Mercy).

https://www.dioceseoftyler.org/2023/09/12/pastoral-letter-from-bishop-strickland-sept-12-2023/

He gone
jrico2727
AG
PabloSerna said:

jrico2727 said:

Which commandment is this again?

You should be more familiar than anyone, you are his biggest cheerleader. Especially when it comes to the whole rainbow agenda.
747Ag
AG
747Ag said:

747Ag said:

PabloSerna said:

747Ag said:

PabloSerna said:

To use the buzzwords regarding this letter...
Pastoral...
Accompanying...
Speaking to those on the peripheries...

Yet we anticipate Rome to retort NOT LIKE THAT!

A clear exposition of the perennial Faith... addressing closed, settled questions that keep being brought back up by the modernists.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Beautiful series of letters.
Pastoral and inclusive of all.
Convicting of myself as I read the letter and second guess was I even worthy this past Sunday..

The words and emphasis call to mind all our sins and weigh upon my heart as I examine my conscience and go, ya I need to go to confession more often and do better.

Lord, have mercy on me. A sinner.
747Ag
AG
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

Convicting of been myself as I read the letter and second guess was I even worthy this past Sunday..

The words and emphasis call to mind all our sins and weigh upon my heart as I examine my conscience and go, ya I need to go to confession more often and do better.

Bro. Yes.
Dies Irae
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

Convicting of been myself as I read the letter and second guess was I even worthy this past Sunday..

Lord, I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed
FIDO95
AG
"Continue to live by and teach the truths of the Holy Catholic Church. The failure of others, including leaders, do this does not alleviate you from that responsibility to do so".

Couldn't have said it any better myself.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Klaus Schwab
So how do Catholics go about determining papal authority in this situation? Does that only apply to ex cathedra statements and everything else (including this situation) is up to personal interpretation on tradition?
Dies Irae
Klaus Schwab said:

So how do Catholics go about determining papal authority in this situation? Does that only apply to ex cathedra statements and everything else (including this situation) is up to personal interpretation on tradition?

There's no question about authority here, the Pope has the ability to remove Bishop Strickland if he refuses to resign. It involves some judicial smoke and mirrors but it can be done.

I'm sure there will be claims of "mismanagement" or "financial irregularities" that will be pointed to as the "official reason" but somehow they never find these in Washington D.C or El Paso or Chicago.
Klaus Schwab
Dies Irae said:

Klaus Schwab said:

There's no question about authority here, the Pope has the ability to remove Bishop Strickland if he refuses to resign. It involves some judicial smoke and mirrors but it can be done.

I'm sure there will be claims of "mismanagement" or "financial irregularities" that will be pointed to as the "official reason" but somehow they never find these in Washington D.C or El Paso or Chicago.
I guess a better question is, how do Catholics go about determining if the Pope is correct in removing Strickland?
File5
AG
Or literally any other diocese. I'm certain that almost every single diocese has it's skeletons that could be used for this purpose if desired.
File5
AG
I don't follow - when the President fires somebody we don't ask if he was correct. It just happens. Same thing with the Pope. He has the power.
Dies Irae
Klaus Schwab said:

Dies Irae said:

Klaus Schwab said:

I guess a better question is, how do Catholics go about determining if the Pope is correct in removing Strickland?

There's a saying in the Church that "the first see is Judged by no one but God" essentially "correct" is what you make of it. It is what it is. I will have my opinion and I'm sure Pablo will have his.
Klaus Schwab
File5 said:

I don't follow - when the President fires somebody we don't ask if he was correct. It just happens. Same thing with the Pope. He has the power.
I'm not asking about power, I'm asking how Catholics determine if the Pope's decision on removing Strickland is correct? The article showed a tweet from Strickland that stated he believes Francis is the Pope but he rejects his teachings and to follow Jesus. How does a Bishop come that conclusion and how do Catholics determine who is correct?
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Ive got to say, I have recently started attending mass again after 30 year hiatus and am likely to take the steps to return to the church, but the looming schism and an out of control Pope confuse my efforts.
The Banned
Klaus Schwab said:

File5 said:

I'm not asking about power, I'm asking how Catholics determine if the Pope's decision on removing Strickland is correct? The article showed a tweet from Strickland that stated he believes Francis is the Pope but he rejects his teachings and to follow Jesus. How does a Bishop come that conclusion and how do Catholics determine who is correct?

We have a 2000 year body of work to reference, and we've had plenty of bad popes to reference their authority. As pope, he's 100% correct in his ability to remove Strickland. As pope, he needs to use his papal authority to say that Strickland is a heretic or some such if he wants us to believe Strickland has incorrect theology. That won't happen, because Strickland is in line with church history and teaching. So a layman can easily conclude that Strickland is correct in his teaching and the pope is being petty because he doesn't like Strickland being so vocal.
The Banned
Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

Ive got to say, I have recently started attending mass again after 30 year hiatus and am likely to take the steps to return to the church, but the looming schism and an out of control Pope confuse my efforts.

I feel you brother. It's infuriating how many conversations I've had with a few friends that are open to returning to the Church but the confusion sewn in the Church right now is making it tough on them. Just remember the sacraments are the sacraments regardless of what nonsense the pope does next.
jrico2727
AG

We may not be quite there yet, but the Church will endure these times. She always does and will, Christ isn't a liar.
RAB91
An interesting article on the Pope and Catholics in the United States.

'WHY DOES THE POPE DISLIKE ME?'
https://www.firstthings.com/web-exclusives/2023/08/why-does-the-pope-dislike-me

Quote:

He did it again. During a recent visit to a Jesuit school in Portugal, the Holy Father once more criticized the Catholic Church in the United States. But this time, he did not pull any punches. Pope Francis made it abundantly clear that he does not like the Church in America. He thinks U.S. Catholics are backward-looking and an obstacle to the Holy Spirit. He thinks many of them have rejected Vatican II and want to turn the clock back to some pre-conciliar time. I can't help thinking he doesn't like meor at least the caricature of me in his head when he thinks about Catholics in the United States.

Quote:

What a shame that my spiritual father, the spiritual father to millions of Catholics in the United States, sees us so negatively. As the Francis papacy unfolds, an increasing number of Catholics sense that he is not friendly to them: those who are struggling to tithe and raise large families; those who are practicing NFP instead of contracepting; those who are struggling for holiness and chastity while living with same-sex attraction; those who are making heroic sacrifices to stay in good standing with the Church in order to receive the Eucharist . . . the list could go on. None of these Catholics are living "by ideologies"they are striving to live by the teaching of the Church, just as the Holy Father iseven if he doesn't like us. In the midst of all this misunderstanding, I am trying hard to love Pope Francis. I just wish he made that less difficult.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
From what I understand, there is a dislike of America in general that goes back to being a South American anti-capitalist.

Bishop Strickland has been a huge part of piquing my interest in returning to the faith. It would be odd if the Pope is telling me the guy who helped bring me back to the faith is not actually part of the faith anymore because of personal reasons.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
As a member of the Diocese of Tyler, this just is really a tough time spiritually.

I knew nothing of our Bishop until moving but heard great things upon arrival and have seen how strong our community has become. The church is growing and vibrant here, credit to Christ,the Bishop, Priests for cultivating a spiritual renewal. Many Catholics that are disenchanted with the material world and course of our nation have come here seeking refuge, and direction, leadership.

Bishop Strickland has been a great cultivator of my faith and his leadership kept my family engaged thru the depths of the pandemic.

Too see this be possible brings sadness, however, Christs church has withstood more than the current controversy and the gates of Hell will not prevail.
This message has been approved by Brad, Jerry and Mitch..
747Ag
AG
RAB91 said:

An interesting article on the Pope and Catholics in the United States.

'WHY DOES THE POPE DISLIKE ME?'
https://www.firstthings.com/web-exclusives/2023/08/why-does-the-pope-dislike-me

Quote:

He did it again. During a recent visit to a Jesuit school in Portugal, the Holy Father once more criticized the Catholic Church in the United States. But this time, he did not pull any punches. Pope Francis made it abundantly clear that he does not like the Church in America. He thinks U.S. Catholics are backward-looking and an obstacle to the Holy Spirit. He thinks many of them have rejected Vatican II and want to turn the clock back to some pre-conciliar time. I can't help thinking he doesn't like meor at least the caricature of me in his head when he thinks about Catholics in the United States.

Quote:

What a shame that my spiritual father, the spiritual father to millions of Catholics in the United States, sees us so negatively. As the Francis papacy unfolds, an increasing number of Catholics sense that he is not friendly to them: those who are struggling to tithe and raise large families; those who are practicing NFP instead of contracepting; those who are struggling for holiness and chastity while living with same-sex attraction; those who are making heroic sacrifices to stay in good standing with the Church in order to receive the Eucharist . . . the list could go on. None of these Catholics are living "by ideologies"they are striving to live by the teaching of the Church, just as the Holy Father is even if he doesn't like us. In the midst of all this misunderstanding, I am trying hard to love Pope Francis. I just wish he made that less difficult.

Reading the article, the imploring to be open to the Holy Spirit by the Holy Father comes off as an admonition to be open-minded when I know what they are selling is off in some way.

No priest, bishop, cardinal, or pope is above the teachings of the Church. They serve the Tradition. The messages coming from the Synodal Path and the Synod on Synodality convey the opposite... that many prelates believe they are superior to the Faith.

I want the Faith. I want it for my family and friends. I want it for y'all too. If that puts me outside of the good graces of various priests and bishops and even the Holy Father, then so be it.

SALUS ANIMARUM SUPREMA LEX.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.