Pope Francis expected to ask Bishop Strickland to retire
33,869 Views | 353 Replies
File5
2:40p, 11/12/23
In reply to Ragnar Danneskjoldd
I'm in another country at the moment and the alter server at my mass walked in right behind the priest wearing a hoodie and athletic shorts and sneakers. Very odd to see next to the priest in his robes. The alter server took off his hoodie cause it was a little warm and had a black t shirt underneath. Sat through mass with arms and legs crossed except when absolutely needed. Rant yes, I know, but I couldn't help thinking through the whole Mass that this behavior is beyond reproach in a large part of today's church because hey, at least he's present and who am I to judge? Of course I know he should be corrected, but if the priest doesn't say anything then what's the point? People like me are driven to things like TLM not because were sedevacantists or anything - we just want standards and something to aspire to.
Mark Fairchild
4:54p, 11/12/23
In Mass this morning our Pastor in the "Prayers of the People" asked specifically for prayers for Bishop Strickland. He is not afraid and we are so thankful. Pray for our priests they are on the front lines.
747Ag
5:07p, 11/12/23
Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

In mass this morning my priest prayed that people will come to recognize global warming as a threat. I feel so lost.
Find a new parish?
SoulSlaveAG2005
5:41p, 11/12/23
In reply to Mark Fairchild
Mark Fairchild said:

In Mass this morning our Pastor in the "Prayers of the People" asked specifically for prayers for Bishop Strickland. He is not afraid and we are so thankful. Pray for our priests they are on the front lines.

Mass was difficult but relieving in a way today. Our Rector and Pastor presided. He gave a brief announcement before Mass that I could tell uncomfortable to deliver. It was very matter of fact, this happened at noon Rome time, 5am our time. Etc.
+Strickland is still a bishop, and is doing well, appreciate the prayers and continues to pray for us and the church.

Mass was beautiful and able to provide some ritual to the change. Prayer intentions were for all priests, especially +Strickland and +Vasquez as he now is our interim.

I am familiar with +Vasquez as we used to live in Waco, and loved the priests,mission and message we always received. My favorite priest is in that diocese and I may start a write in campaign for his appointment to Tyler as the new Bishop.

Thank you all for praying for our beloved Bishop, and please continue to pray for him and the church.
747Ag
6:23p, 11/12/23
https://babylonbee.com/news/pope-francis-fires-bishop-for-being-too-catholic
SoulSlaveAG2005
6:27p, 11/12/23
In reply to 747Ag
Should be a "not the bee" article
747Ag
7:33p, 11/12/23
In reply to SoulSlaveAG2005
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

Should be a "not the bee" article
Lines are blurred between both pages.
FTAggies
9:18p, 11/12/23
Yeah we've had some idiot putting that in the prayers of the faithful off and on for over a year. It gets the biggest eye roll from me every time. Some days I feel like the bishops are so far deep into politics they should start giving out indulgences for voting democrat.
Gig'em
RAB91
10:40p, 11/12/23
Captain Pablo
4:28a, 11/13/23
In reply to 747Ag
747Ag said:

https://babylonbee.com/news/pope-francis-fires-bishop-for-being-too-catholic

Oh goodness
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
8:17a, 11/13/23
In reply to FTAggies
FTAggies said:

Yeah we've had some idiot putting that in the prayers of the faithful off and on for over a year. It gets the biggest eye roll from me every time. Some days I feel like the bishops are so far deep into politics they should start giving out indulgences for voting democrat.
San Antonio diocese seems far more concerned with democratic politics than saving souls
747Ag
3:22p, 11/13/23
This one stings. So much ink spilled. So much footage of people giving their opinions on the matter. So much scurrilous reporting from all sides.
Yet, so little fasting. So few falling to their knees. So few prayers offered for Pope Francis and Bishop Strickland.

https://crisismagazine.com/opinion/bishop-strickland-becomes-a-victim-for-the-church-he-loves
SoulSlaveAG2005
4:07p, 11/13/23
In reply to 747Ag
Thank you for sharing. Convicting to the core.
Ave Maria..
Mark Fairchild
5:17p, 11/13/23
In reply to 747Ag
Thank you for this article. It prioritizes many things.
Terminus Est
7:34a, 11/16/23
https://fsspx.news/en/news-events/news/united-states-pope-francis-removes-bishop-strickland-office-87024

The SSPX with short article on the Bishop Strickland situation; hard to argue with much here.

Quote:

It is important to note that relieving a bishop from office is a rare event, normally motivated by grave errors. That does not appear to be the case here, even if we ignore the results of the Apostolic Visitation.

We must also note that Bishop Strickland has shown himself to be particularly incisive against the Synod on Synodality. He wrote a courageous letter, appearing in August, to warn his diocese of certain novelties incompatible with the Faith that would be discussed at the Synod.

While the leitmotif of the Synod was: "listening to all," and in particular to those who feel excluded, Bishop Strickland was entitled to treatment that could qualify as "clericalist," in the sense of an authoritarianism that the Pope has not ceased to exercise since the start of his pontificate. There are thus very distinct limits to the "listening" proposed.

If we compare the treatment reserved for this bishop with that of priests and indeed of bishops whose doctrine is nothing less than defective, the injustice is even more blatant: it is truly tyrannical.

Very odd signals coming from Pope Francis, hard to interpret. He makes an example of Bishop Strickland yet lets all manner of heterodox things flourish without saying a peep, but will randomly drop the hammer on the Masons (which is awesome, but they're like Z on my list of problems affecting the church).
SoulSlaveAG2005
7:52a, 11/16/23
In reply to Terminus Est
Terminus Est said:

https://fsspx.news/en/news-events/news/united-states-pope-francis-removes-bishop-strickland-office-87024

The SSPX with short article on the Bishop Strickland situation; hard to argue with much here.

Quote:

It is important to note that relieving a bishop from office is a rare event, normally motivated by grave errors. That does not appear to be the case here, even if we ignore the results of the Apostolic Visitation.

We must also note that Bishop Strickland has shown himself to be particularly incisive against the Synod on Synodality. He wrote a courageous letter, appearing in August, to warn his diocese of certain novelties incompatible with the Faith that would be discussed at the Synod.

While the leitmotif of the Synod was: "listening to all," and in particular to those who feel excluded, Bishop Strickland was entitled to treatment that could qualify as "clericalist," in the sense of an authoritarianism that the Pope has not ceased to exercise since the start of his pontificate. There are thus very distinct limits to the "listening" proposed.

If we compare the treatment reserved for this bishop with that of priests and indeed of bishops whose doctrine is nothing less than defective, the injustice is even more blatant: it is truly tyrannical.

Very odd signals coming from Pope Francis, hard to interpret. He makes an example of Bishop Strickland yet lets all manner of heterodox things flourish without saying a peep, but will randomly drop the hammer on the Masons (which is awesome, but they're like Z on my list of problems affecting the church).

I had a big old LOL at the Masonic hammer that came out yesterday… yes, let's be clear, distinct and deliberate in our communication regarding freemasonry and all that it entails… those old men and their chicken fry's and children's hospitals are surely deserving of such a strong NO!

I have been praying a lot on the situation and read some more and my anger has tempered. +Strickland's concerns about the direction of the church are valid, his wanting to Sheppard his flock and be pastoral to those who desire and prefer to worship in the TLM are not faults.

However, one can only air grievance and poke the boss publicly and forcefully so much. There have been things he has said publicly that while initially I probably yelled "finally someone said it…" In hindsight they went too far and can see the error and how it didn't advance the conversation but perhaps furthered the divide..

That is not to say that the other side is free of error in the same vain, and that it is not frustrating that the standards are not equally applied. But like our Lord, the standards are not equal. For He took the weight of our sin, undeservedly, and that is a lesson I am trying to learn since a child. Life's not fair, and in the end we win through Him, and we should take whichever injustice is wrought to Him and move forward. Speak boldly but lovingly.
stillmerk
12:11p, 11/16/23
I think the freemasons are gaining ground in the Philippines, so that's why this was said, but I have no figures nor information on Philippines free masons.
SoulSlaveAG2005
12:26p, 11/16/23
In reply to stillmerk
That may be true… I think the LOL is more because of all the groups causing the ruination of souls and scandal in the church these days, the Freemasons are at the bottom of the list… YET the direction and guidance on them is clear, distinct and definitive…

Other groups get the "pastoral" approach of inclusion and hugs…
Mark Fairchild
1:34p, 11/16/23
I have posted this in another post, but I feel that it is relevant here. I have watched this Papacy evolve, and in the beginning tried very hard to reason and give Francis the benefit of the doubt. I reasoned that the MSM was giving the wrong or surface explanation of what Francis was saying to further the world's agenda. I continued to ponder because he is after all the Pope. However, as the years have passed and the actions and words become more egregious and confusing, I have begun to research this man and the Society of the Jesuits. Thus, I have read Malachi Martin's book, "Jesuits". I must say that it has truly been an ""Eye Opener" for this Catholic. It certainly explains so much of the hate for the USA Catholic Church and for Capitalism.

I highly recommend it. It is highly researched and credible. In a nutshell, the Jesuits are at War with the Papacy and the Holy Catholic Church, and I feel have lost their way.
chimpanzee
1:50p, 11/16/23
In reply to 747Ag
747Ag said:

This one stings. So much ink spilled. So much footage of people giving their opinions on the matter. So much scurrilous reporting from all sides.
Yet, so little fasting. So few falling to their knees. So few prayers offered for Pope Francis and Bishop Strickland.

https://crisismagazine.com/opinion/bishop-strickland-becomes-a-victim-for-the-church-he-loves
Library : What Went Wrong? | Catholic Culture[url=https://www.catholicculture.org/commentary/fr-paul-mankowski-what-went-wrong/][/url]

Mankowski was a Jesuit that was something of an orthodox trad mole within the order. He wrote for years under pseudonym and his stuff is biting and really well done. The order tried to shut him up, but he mostly found ways to get his stuff published. He died a few years back from complications of routine surgery just out of the blue.

The essay above (from 2003) walks through the cultural foundations that led to McCarrick, et. al.

Quote:

I believe that the Crisis will deepen, though undramatically, in the foreseeable future; I believe that the policies suggested to remedy the situation will help only tangentially, and that the whole idea of an administrative programmatic approach a "software solution," if I may put it that way is an example of the disease for which it purports to be the cure. I believe that reform will come, though in a future generation, and that the reformers whom God raises up will spill their blood in imitation of Christ. In short, to pilfer a line of Wilfrid Sheed, I find absolutely no grounds for optimism, and I have every reason for hope.

Sounds like Strickland was calling this out to the face of many who knew they were in that position in the USCCB assembly room. Twenty years on, it seems that the Vatican doesn't want to hear it.
Law361
4:56p, 11/16/23
Just another perspective: https://wherepeteris.com/why-was-strickland-ousted-ask-him/

I'm personally not surprised.
Mark Fairchild
7:15p, 11/16/23
Mike Lewis-America Magazine-Jesuit Review.
TAM85
7:28p, 11/16/23
"Suggests that ... is likely .... does appear" = lacks substance.
SirDippinDots
5:02a, 11/17/23
I Timothy 4

Apostasy
1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.

2 Thessalonians 2
That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.
3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;
747Ag
9:39a, 11/17/23
In reply to TAM85
TAM85 said:

"Suggests that ... is likely .... does appear" = lacks substance.
Such insinuation and allusion is typical of that site's "reporting". Irresponsible at best. However, I've seen the piece's author state that he'd close the site or handover the keys (pun intended) if someone like Cardinal Burke was elected to the papacy. Tells me it's more about a particular ideology rather than the Petrine Office.
747Ag
10:22p, 11/18/23
Deacon Fournier is good people. This interview (45 minutes) brings out the human side of this situation with Bishop Strickland. Interesting points include a discussion about the Church and a corporate model of governance vs an ecclesial model. Frequent references to Bishop Strickland being a man of prayer and devoted to our Eucharistic Lord.

Listening to Deacon Fournier speak, I'm ready to switch out my boxing gloves for brass knuckles regarding the injustice here.

SoulSlaveAG2005
12:36p, 11/19/23
Beautiful Mass today. However, the cathedra was empty and they have pulled +Sticklands coat of arms from the center of it. Definitely brought home the vacancy of the position along with all of his pictures being down and just the hangers in the locations.

March by a couple hundred parishioners to express their voices in the community. First and foremost to give glory to God, and pray for the bishop and Pope. I was not in attendance, however several dear friends were and they provided these pics.

SoulSlaveAG2005
2:11p, 11/20/23
FR. Leo with a great reflection.

Captain Pablo
11:38p, 11/20/23
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

Beautiful Mass today. However, the cathedra was empty and they have pulled +Sticklands coat of arms from the center of it. Definitely brought home the vacancy of the position along with all of his pictures being down and just the hangers in the locations.

March by a couple hundred parishioners to express their voices in the community. First and foremost to give glory to God, and pray for the bishop and Pope. I was not in attendance, however several dear friends were and they provided these pics.

No way this was a protest of Pope Francis' decision, right?

Yeah I get that we Catholics can't just come out and "say it"
PabloSerna
2:20p, 11/21/23
In reply to File5
File5 said:

I'm in another country at the moment and the alter server at my mass walked in right behind the priest wearing a hoodie and athletic shorts and sneakers. Very odd to see next to the priest in his robes. The alter server took off his hoodie cause it was a little warm and had a black t shirt underneath. Sat through mass with arms and legs crossed except when absolutely needed. Rant yes, I know, but I couldn't help thinking through the whole Mass that this behavior is beyond reproach in a large part of today's church because hey, at least he's present and who am I to judge? Of course I know he should be corrected, but if the priest doesn't say anything then what's the point? People like me are driven to things like TLM not because were sedevacantists or anything - we just want standards and something to aspire to.
Why do you "want" at mass? Is it not for thanksgiving?

SoulSlaveAG2005
2:56p, 11/21/23
In reply to Captain Pablo
In part it was. As it was that decision that prompted the outcry. I also think we can say we disagree with a decisions of the pope on this matter. We must respect his authority to do so, and submit to that authority, but it doesn't mean we can't respectfully disagree. +Strickland has said as much. It's the popes right to remove him, he doesn't have to like it, but he has to obey it.
PabloSerna
12:02a, 11/22/23
This just in.... Pope Francis expresses concerns about the German Synodal Way - saying it threatens unity.

ETA: I believe that is what Pope Francis is most concerned about, unity. One of the reasons he was very concerned about the Traditional Latin Mass is precisely because it can lead to a parish community in which some members think they are holier than others because of rituals and liturgical practice.
Captain Pablo
7:50a, 11/22/23
In reply to PabloSerna
PabloSerna said:

This just in.... Pope Francis expresses concerns about the German Synodal Way - saying it threatens unity.

ETA: I believe that is what Pope Francis is most concerned about, unity. One of the reasons he was very concerned about the Traditional Latin Mass is precisely because it can lead to a parish community in which some members think they are holier than others because of rituals and liturgical practice.

Ooooo. The Pope wrote a letter to some women. That'll surely rock the recalcitrant German Catholic Church

He didn't fire any rogue bishops did he?

That word "unity". I don't think you know what that means
747Ag
9:21a, 11/22/23
In reply to PabloSerna
PabloSerna said:

This is a red herring. This is a projection. It is not the reality, boots on the ground. Meanie poo-poo headed anons on the interwebs is not reality. YouTuber pontificators aren't reality.
hockeyag
10:28a, 11/22/23
Sounds to me that Francis is concerned about loosing authority to a committee he doesn't control.
Nothing really about clarifying or reinforcing traditional church teachings. Control and authority.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 9 of 11
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings