Home price index reaches all time high
57,697 Views | 686 Replies
Agthatbuilds
8:04a, 1/5/24
Shooter McGavin
8:20a, 1/5/24
In reply to mosdefn14
mosdefn14 said:

When interest rates had a 2 handle, a lot of 7 figure luxury homes were purchased. Don't need it, but why the heck not. Figure the average/median of normal home sales plus those.

With a 6 or 7 handle, that slows down those purchases. What's left is need houses. Figure the average/median of those. I'm surprised it's not more of a drop honestly.

Lies, dang lies, & statistics.

It slows down those purchases, but if there is no inventory.....

I deal in home prices and values every day. I'm just not seeing declines in the markets I work - primarily due to lack of supply.

If you have a good house and price it correctly the market is still very active and these homes are absorbed quickly, regardless of the rate.

There is plenty of pent up demand.
Jabin
9:45a, 1/5/24
In reply to Shooter McGavin
How many of those sellers are offering to help buy down rates? My realtor told me that is common today. Are those buy-downs reflected in selling prices?
Shooter McGavin
10:11a, 1/5/24
In reply to Jabin
Jabin said:

How many of those sellers are offering to help buy down rates? My realtor told me that is common today. Are those buy-downs reflected in selling prices?
Every question in real estate should be answered with "it depends"

It is common in new construction and markets that are less desirable. It is not as common in markets where there is low inventory and pent up demand.

Real estate is ALWAYS local. You really have to drill down to sub-markets for it to make any sense. Examples of stats for an entire county is kind of ridiculous when you consider the massive difference between the Crowley and Southlake in Tarrant County, or Argyle and The Colony in Denton County. Some markets need buy downs, some don't. Depends on price range and income level of buyers.

Buy downs are often reflected in selling prices, so yes - the net to the seller is lower in those scenarios.
Jabin
10:13a, 1/5/24
In reply to Shooter McGavin
Thanks, that makes sense. Good info.
Agthatbuilds
7:16a, 1/29/24
Agthatbuilds
9:02p, 3/18/24
Stat Monitor Repairman
1:07p, 5/3/24

The Maw to Gen Z:

'I feel your pain.'
Stat Monitor Repairman
11:59p, 5/11/24

Bad news: If you buying a starter home the price just went up by $9600.

Good news: If you selling a starter home you can expect an additional $9600 of profit on sale.
Bobaloo
7:26a, 5/12/24
A better way to build wealth is to form a few shell companies, get on the board of multinational corporations and garner seven figure salaries despite having zero experience in business.
YouBet
7:36a, 5/12/24
And where is this money coming from?
lb3
7:36p, 5/12/24
We bought a house last year. We were down sizing and would have paid cash except we weren't sure how fast our old house would sell and free up that equity. Turns out it sold in 6 hours to a retired couple with an above list all cash offer.

Our new house didn't work for us so we just sold it to a retired couple for with an all cash offer. Our new construction is a bit more than the original house so I'm probably going to raid my Roth so we can pay cash.

I don't think there are many buyers putting 3% down and paying PMI right now.
TexasAggiesWin
7:44p, 5/12/24
Good luck to everyone with the new appraisals (at least in TX)…
AggieVictor10
7:54p, 5/12/24
FJB
Less virtue signaling, more vice signaling.

Birds aren’t real.

RFK/brain worm 2024
Not Coach Jimbo
8:23a, 5/13/24
In reply to YouBet
YouBet said:

The same place the money Ukranian and illegal immigrant money comes from.

Fed go brrrrrrr

But don't worry, it will never happen... just shopping it to see if it will help with reelection.
American Hardwood
10:12a, 5/13/24
In reply to YouBet
YouBet said:

From the taxes collected from starter home buyers, minus the government's skim off the top. It's the big government's version of a perpetual motion machine for economics.
Logos Stick
8:14a, 5/15/24
More good news concerning mortgage and home prices.

How can anyone support Biden at this point?:

BlueTaze
8:20a, 5/15/24
We need gov to make banks give bad loans, so that people can buy a house. No risk, since home prices can only go up. If it all fails, we can print more money and QE.
The Fife
9:06a, 5/15/24
In reply to BlueTaze
BlueTaze said:

We need gov to make banks give bad loans, so that people can buy a house. No risk, since home prices can only go up. If it all fails, we can print more money and QE.
I, too, am ready to party like it's 2005!
Martin Q. Blank
9:09a, 5/15/24
In reply to Bobaloo
Bobaloo said:

A better way to build wealth is to form a few shell companies, get on the board of multinational corporations and garner seven figure salaries despite having zero experience in business.
Step 1: Be son of U.S. Vice President
YouBet
12:25p, 5/15/24
A roughly $1,200 monthly increase to housing costs in just 3 years seems like a big deal.
Logos Stick
12:45p, 5/15/24
In reply to YouBet
YouBet said:

A roughly $1,200 monthly increase to housing costs in just 3 years seems like a big deal.

It's almost doubled since Biden took office. Yet Biden and Trump are tied.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 20 of 20
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings