American tourist caught with ammo in Turks and Caicos
5,550 Views | 133 Replies
Ducks4brkfast
2:18p, 4/24/24
In reply to Slicer97
They're not allowed to be carried on and are supposed to be checked.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
2:19p, 4/24/24
In reply to CanyonAg77
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

Is TSA supposed to check for a couple spare rounds of ammo in a bag?
If it's checked, aren't there 'sniffers' for explosive residues, which you would think ammo and a bag taken on a hunting trip might set off?

If carry-on, you would hope the Security Theater guy at the X-Ray machine might have at least wondered what those little pointy things were.
Some people I use to work with set off the sniffers with their boots after being on a UXO site for a week doing field work. They finally let them through after some long discussions.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
aggieforester05
2:23p, 4/24/24
In reply to Bubblez
People that think anyone deserves 12 years in prison over forgotten ammo left in a bag are garbage human beings, that deserve to be thrown into a third world prison for 12 years. Absolutely disgusting to think that this is acceptable to do. Ruining his life, his wife's, and his children's lives over something that is absolutely useless without a firearm. Gun control advocates are amongst the worst people on earth.
93MarineHorn
2:24p, 4/24/24
So, Turds and Cacos is going to spend 10's of thousands of dollars holding this guy in jail for a "crime" that was clearly a very stupid mistake? They should hit him up with a very large fine and let him go. Something in the neighborhood of $10K.
techno-ag
2:28p, 4/24/24
In reply to 93MarineHorn
93MarineHorn said:

So, Turds and Cacos is going to spend 10's of thousands of dollars holding this guy in jail for a "crime" that was clearly a very stupid mistake? They should hit him up with a very large fine and let him go. Something in the neighborhood of $10K.
It would be much more economically beneficial to them to level a fine than to house and feed him over a decade, plus generate all that negative PR stateside.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
AgDad121619
2:32p, 4/24/24
"Just like it's the law that you cannot come in to this country in illegal fashion."
TxAgPreacher
2:38p, 4/24/24
In reply to Bubblez
Bubblez said:

C@LAg said:

Bubblez said:

..and now is facing 12 years in prison. I don't know why people think other countries should abide by our gun laws, or be given some sort of privilege to do as they please. If you travel, you really should know the stuff that could get yourself into big trouble.

And yet, you are 100% on board with Biden's importation of millions of illegals, who are violating the laws of our land and given privileges average citizens do not get.

that makes you a hypocrite.

and while staff removed your trolling, that was still the entire point of your OP.
Stop with the thread derail and get back onto the topic at hand.

This guy was careless with his ammo and got caught. I verify each and every OTC drug I bring along and make sure my bags are empty. I'll avoid connecting through a Middle East country because of their laws. I don't want to get caught with a poppy seed on the sole of my shoes.

The one thing I loathe more than anything on this board is cowards who falsely claim thread derail when things are exactly on topic.
doubledog
2:39p, 4/24/24
Lesson... Always check your baggage and your personal items before leaving the country.

Old McDonald
2:42p, 4/24/24
rule to live by: under no circumstance should you ever travel to a country where you can't defend yourself with firearms when necessary. if that means the wife doesn't get her dream trip to paris or whatever, tough *****
RafterAg223
2:44p, 4/24/24
In reply to Old McDonald
Old McDonald said:

rule to live by: under no circumstance should you ever travel to a country where you can't defend yourself with firearms when necessary. if that means the wife doesn't get her dream trip to paris or whatever, tough *****
if your buddies right here at home have their way, that will be this country much sooner than you think.
TxAgPreacher
2:44p, 4/24/24
In reply to Old McDonald
Old McDonald said:

Your boy Biden would love to limit our second amendment. Your tough guy conservative act doesn't make you seem any more reasonable or moderate.
MelvinUdall
2:45p, 4/24/24
This guys f***ed up, but it's their laws and whatever comes of him, then that is the price he has to pay, not that I think he should serve anytime, but it's their laws.
PA24
2:46p, 4/24/24

Prison be like the movie Midnight Express....few whites serving.
samurai_science
2:55p, 4/24/24
If he votes R I would trade some Democrats for him
techno-ag
2:57p, 4/24/24
In reply to samurai_science
samurai_science said:

If he votes R I would trade some Democrats for him
Regardless, hopefully the family will get their Congress person on it. That's one of their services to constituents.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
BlueSmoke
2:57p, 4/24/24
TSA has a couple of Wilson 1911 mags because I'm dumb....
Nobody cares. Work Harder
richardag
3:04p, 4/24/24
In reply to RafterAg223
RafterAg223 said:

Bubblez said:

..and now is facing 12 years in prison. I don't know why people think other countries should abide by our gun laws, or be given some sort of privilege to do as they please. If you travel, you really should know the stuff that could get yourself into big trouble.

Also, I'm sure many of those on the right that wanted Brittney Griner to rot away in a Russian prison will be wanting this guy rescued.

Quote:

An American father is facing 12 years in prison in Turks and Caicos after ammunition was found in his luggage as he returned home from a vacation with his wife.

Ryan Watson, 40, has remained on the island for weeks following his arrest on April 11 alongside his wife Valerie, 38, who saw her charges dropped on Monday as she was allowed to return home to their two young children.

The couple said they were passing through airport security when four rounds of hunting ammo was found in Ryan's carry-on, which they claim were left by accident.

Valerie said she and her husband enjoyed a picturesque vacation for a friend's birthday on the Caribbean islands, but their trip quickly 'went from what was supposed to be a dream vacation to a nightmare.'

A small bag of bullets in a zip-lock bag were found in his luggage, which US TSA had missed on their departing flight, which Ryan said in an interview before his first court hearing that he 'recognized' immediately from a recent deer hunting trip.

'They were hunting ammunition rounds for white tail deer, and I recognized them and thought, "what a bonehead mistake,' he said. 'I had no idea that those were in there.'

The couple were forced to remain on the island as their passports were seized, as Ryan said officials brushed off his pleas that it was a 'complete innocent mistake.'

Despite their insistence that the ammunition was accidentally left from a previous hunting trip, Turks and Caicos prosecutors maintained that the crime is a serious offense in the nation. In 2022, the nation passed stricter laws that mandated a 12-year minimum sentence for ammunition possession.

Valerie through tears that when she heard the mandatory sentence, she was 'immediately terrified, because we can't be in prison for 12 years, we have kids at home.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13345369/Ryan-watson-Turks-Caicos-ammunition-luggage.html
It sucks, but it's the law. Just like it's the law that you cannot come in to this country in illegal fashion. You aren't going to gotcha any conservatives with your trolling here. There are plenty of the laws in this country that people on your side choose to discard.

I think its absolutely usurious that a crime of this nature would carry this type of penalty, but it is what it is. Ignorance of what may or may not be in your bag when you travel does not exonerate you. I do find it interesting that the TSA, an absolute JV squad of incompetent "officers", just let this slide right on through the checkpoint. But heaven forbid you try to run through that area with 4 oz of lotion, half a bottle of ozarka, or a pair of scissors that are .1mm too long. But more government agencies like this one are the answers to every problem for you guys on the left.
Agreed. Up to our state department to negotiate in good faith with their government to obtain his release.
The budget should be balanced, the treasury should be refilled, the public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome become bankrupt.
People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.
-- Cicero, 55 B.C.
MouthBQ98
3:04p, 4/24/24
It is a ridiculously inflexible law applied to someone without criminal intent. Foreign justice systems can be badly flawed.
mncag
3:15p, 4/24/24
I don't see how this cannot be worked out since there is no criminal intent. The US needs apply a little pressure in this case
DTP02
3:15p, 4/24/24
In reply to CanyonAg77
CanyonAg77 said:

It's a chicken-crap law and amount of ammo to get arrested over.

But it is their law.

Know it

Obey it

Never use the same bag for hunting as you do for any travel.

I got pulled on an Intentional flight for using a backpack that I've also carried guns and ammo in. Flagged for "potential bomb residue."
FrioAg 00
3:19p, 4/24/24
I am absolutely NOT saying they don't have every right to make their own laws however they see fit. But the right to do something and SHOULD you do it are different things.

In this case the mandatory punishment WAY outweighs the gravity of the offense. So while legal, that doesn't mean it's fair or balanced.

I do hope our state department will flex some muscle and get their fella released. T&C is incredibly reliant on US tourism for its economy. They don't have a banking or insurance industry like other islands. They don't have any real agriculture exports either. We hold all the cards.
Bubblez
3:26p, 4/24/24
The state department has done their job in warning other Americans about this situation:

https://bs.usembassy.gov/check-your-bags-do-not-bring-ammunition-firearms-to-the-turks-and-caicos-islands/

Quote:

We urge all travelers going to the Turks and Caicos Islands:
  • Carefully check your luggage for stray ammunition or forgotten weapons before departing from the United States.

Firearms, ammunition (including stray bullets), and other weapons are not permitted in the Turks and Caicos Islands (TCI). TCI authorities strictly enforce all firearms-and-ammunition-related laws. The penalty for traveling to TCI with a firearm, ammunition, or other weapon can result in a minimum custodial sentence of twelve (12) years.

We wish to remind all travelers that declaring a weapon in your luggage with an airline carrier does not grant permission to bring the weapon into the Turks and Caicos Islands and will result in your arrest. TSA screening in the United States may not identify ammunition in your baggage; it is your responsibility to ensure your baggage is free of ammunition and/or firearms.

If you bring a firearm or ammunition into TCI, even inadvertently, we will not be able to secure your release from custody. You are subject to TCI laws and must follow local law enforcement procedures.

The state department had a similar warning back in 2023 for everybody to see:
https://bs.usembassy.gov/travel-alert-do-not-bring-firearms-ammunition-to-the-turks-and-caicos-islands/

Quote:

SEPTEMBER 22, 2023

Firearms, ammunition, and other weapons are not permitted in the Turks and Caicos Islands (TCI). TCI authorities strictly enforce all firearms related laws. The penalty for traveling to TCI with a firearm, ammunition, or other weapon is a minimum custodial sentence of twelve (12) years.

We wish to remind all travelers that declaring a weapon in your luggage with an airline carrier does not grant permission to bring the weapon into TCI and will result in your arrest.

We strongly encourage you to carefully check your luggage for stray ammunition or forgotten weapons before departing for TCI. If you bring a firearm or ammunition into TCI, we will not be able to secure your release from custody. You are subject to TCI laws and must follow local law enforcement procedures.

This person was warned, but failed to heed this warning.
MelvinUdall
3:29p, 4/24/24
In reply to Bubblez
I don't think anyone is disagreeing with anything you posted other than trying to draw an equivalence of the Griner situation. This guy broke the law that is set by a country and everyone needs to follow it, regardless of how ridiculous I may think the law is.
arrow
3:33p, 4/24/24
I'm willing to bet the state department failed to get that message to Mr. Watson. We can't all be expert travelers. Sucky situation. Hopefully the authorities will figure out how to get this man back to his wife and kids.
agwrestler
3:35p, 4/24/24
Worst case, this guy is returning to the US by the end of January 2025
Ag CPA
5:13p, 4/24/24
Was on the news here in DFW; the guy made bail and is probably trolling cougars while his wife and kids are back in OK.

Would not be surprised if this was all intentional.
CanyonAg77
5:18p, 4/24/24
In reply to Tony Franklins Other Shoe
Quote:

Some people I use to work with set off the sniffers with their boots after being on a UXO site
CanyonAg77
5:19p, 4/24/24
In reply to BlueSmoke
BlueSmoke said:

TSA has a couple of Wilson 1911 mags because I'm dumb....
The auction house that sells TSA confiscation has long since sold them
agracer
5:20p, 4/24/24
In reply to Bubblez
Bubblez said:

The state department has done their job in warning other Americans about this situation:

https://bs.usembassy.gov/check-your-bags-do-not-bring-ammunition-firearms-to-the-turks-and-caicos-islands/

Quote:

We urge all travelers going to the Turks and Caicos Islands:
  • Carefully check your luggage for stray ammunition or forgotten weapons before departing from the United States.

Firearms, ammunition (including stray bullets), and other weapons are not permitted in the Turks and Caicos Islands (TCI). TCI authorities strictly enforce all firearms-and-ammunition-related laws. The penalty for traveling to TCI with a firearm, ammunition, or other weapon can result in a minimum custodial sentence of twelve (12) years.

We wish to remind all travelers that declaring a weapon in your luggage with an airline carrier does not grant permission to bring the weapon into the Turks and Caicos Islands and will result in your arrest. TSA screening in the United States may not identify ammunition in your baggage; it is your responsibility to ensure your baggage is free of ammunition and/or firearms.

If you bring a firearm or ammunition into TCI, even inadvertently, we will not be able to secure your release from custody. You are subject to TCI laws and must follow local law enforcement procedures.

The state department had a similar warning back in 2023 for everybody to see:
https://bs.usembassy.gov/travel-alert-do-not-bring-firearms-ammunition-to-the-turks-and-caicos-islands/

Quote:

SEPTEMBER 22, 2023

Firearms, ammunition, and other weapons are not permitted in the Turks and Caicos Islands (TCI). TCI authorities strictly enforce all firearms related laws. The penalty for traveling to TCI with a firearm, ammunition, or other weapon is a minimum custodial sentence of twelve (12) years.

We wish to remind all travelers that declaring a weapon in your luggage with an airline carrier does not grant permission to bring the weapon into TCI and will result in your arrest.

We strongly encourage you to carefully check your luggage for stray ammunition or forgotten weapons before departing for TCI. If you bring a firearm or ammunition into TCI, we will not be able to secure your release from custody. You are subject to TCI laws and must follow local law enforcement procedures.

This person was warned, but failed to heed this warning.
Because everyone reads state department warnings before traveling to T&C which is about a level zero on the dangerous travel list.

Keep trolling.
CanyonAg77
5:28p, 4/24/24
Again, the best takeaway is what I and others have said, gun bags should never be travel bags and vice versa.

A dedicated gun bag would have been a lot cheaper than any of his legal fees.

Second best lesson, is to sanitize your bags before flight, as in go through every pocket, slot, nook and cranny. This is whether you are traveling to Turks and Cacaos, or Turkey, Texas.

Third lesson, TSA is Security Theater and utterly incompetent.
sleepybeagle
5:31p, 4/24/24
I forgot about a large hunting knife in my bad about 2 years ago. Made it through security and found it in the hotel. Checked my bag going back...but that was a close call.

I feel for this guy.
sleepybeagle
CoolaidWade
5:45p, 4/24/24
This would never happen to me.
DamnGood86
6:16p, 4/24/24
In reply to 93MarineHorn
93MarineHorn said:

This is exactly what they will do. They will start by asking for $1-million or more and eventually negotiate down to the most the guy is willing/able to pay.
Mas89
6:24p, 4/24/24
Just one more reason not to go to third world countries, including Mexico. And obviously T& C.

And if you do, find their biggest local supermarket and walk around long enough to see the big rats and unsanitary meat department. Flies, bugs, etc.

trailrunner
6:27p, 4/24/24
Do we have any arms dealers we can trade to Turks and Caicos for this guy?
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 2 of 4
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings