Tennessee teacher gun bill heads to governor's desk

1,681 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by 91AggieLawyer
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2024/04/23/tennessee-house-republicans-pass-bill-to-allow-teachers-to-carry-handguns/73331384007/

And all the right pigs are squealing. Even the New York Times is hand wringing over it.

I think Tennessee is my second favorite state.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
LOYAL AG
AG
Could definitely look at Tennessee as a retirement destination in fact we've talked about Chattanooga specifically. I'm tied to BCS for the rest of my career and right now both of our kids live here so hard to say where life takes us but that state is appealing for lots of reasons.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
Prosperdick
AG
I'm pretty lucky the company I've worked for over the last decade has it's U.S. headquarters in Nashville so I get to visit at least once a year and our global HQ is in Prague. I've spoken to my wife often that if we ever had to move out of Texas those are the two cities we would target.
schmellba99
AG
Eastern Tenn is an awesome area. Stay away from the Pigeon Forge tourist traps though, but the country is beautiful and the folks are awesome.

Nashville is a blast to visit, not sure I'd want to live there, but visiting to have a good time it is one of the harder cities to beat IMO. Laid back, live music everywhere, just a lot of fun.
Ciboag96
I'm sure Antifa's handlers will find the right trans nut job to steal a teachers gun and kill a few. That'd be the end of that.

Ghost of Andrew Eaton
I'm all for this bill.

But if you are to believe most on this board, you're basically allowing leftists groomers to bring weapons to schools.
Independence H-D
2 words. Shelby County.

Memphis is ruined. Nashville is a great place to visit but it's getting more and more like Austin everyday. The other parts of Tennessee I've been in are gorgeous and the state government is doing a good job.
agpetz
We currently live in Eastern TN. The Smokies are great (although Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg are awful)...have not had much time in Nashville. Memphis is a dumpster fire. Spent a little time in Chattanooga. Seemed nice overall, it does have a little more of a progressive feel than Nashville and Knoxville.

It isn't all perfect though. We have had an influx of people and housing is a real problem in certain areas (both from a cost and availability standpoint) as is traffic. You can read about some of the challenges they've had in Knox county with planning and push back from local communities.

No state income tax. Property taxes are very low. Schools are decent. Great state-funded scholarship program for both community college and four year universities. We generally have four seasons...summer can get hot although coming from Texas it is certainly better.
LOYAL AG
AG
Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

I'm all for this bill.

But if you are to believe most on this board, you're basically allowing leftists groomers to bring weapons to schools.

That's fine. The 2A is for all Americans, even the ones I disagree with.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
techno-ag
AG
Ciboag96 said:

I'm sure Antifa's handlers will find the right trans nut job to steal a teachers gun and kill a few. That'd be the end of that.

I think the woman trying to transition to a man who shot up that Christian school is big impetus behind this bill.

Quote:

Dozens of protestors in the galleries began chanting "Blood on your hands" as soon as the legislation passed, prompting House Speaker Cameron Sexton, R-Crossville, to order state troopers to clear the galleries. Many protestors continued to chant and stomp down at lawmakers as the House floor fell into chaos over parliamentary issues.
LOL the old "blood on the streets" argument didn't work in Texas either.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
DrEvazanPhD

I'm all for this bill.

Do you find that comment to be helpful?
LOYAL AG
AG
techno-ag said:

Ciboag96 said:

I think the woman trying to transition to a man who shot up that Christian school is big impetus behind this bill.

Quote:

Dozens of protestors in the galleries began chanting "Blood on your hands" as soon as the legislation passed, prompting House Speaker Cameron Sexton, R-Crossville, to order state troopers to clear the galleries. Many protestors continued to chant and stomp down at lawmakers as the House floor fell into chaos over parliamentary issues.

I'd challenge someone on the left to come up with one single time when their dire predictions about gun violence have come true. They're at least as good at predicting this as they are at predicting the weather 30 years into the future. If we could stop people from voting for them we could actually laugh at them uncontrollably without fear of their ideas doing any actual damage.

When Texas adopted Constitutional carry a couple of years ago someone on here talked about their neighbor deciding to move back to Indiana because that was such a reckless decision and they didn't want to be around for it. It was lost on them that Indiana has had constitutional carry for a long time.

Liberals live for hysteria, it gives them validation and the fact that it's never justified by what actually happens isn't even remotely relevant. They have already moved on to the next thing to pay any attention to the fact that they were wrong about the last thing.
4stringAg
AG
Quote:

The school district's director of schools, the school principal and the chief of the "appropriate" law enforcement agency must sign off on a staff member's authority to carry a concealed handgun, so school administrators could theoretically block any teacher from going armed on campus.
Might end up being a hollow victory. In many school districts, particularly ones that need armed teachers, libs are in charge of the administration and I can foresee they won't sign off on any teachers carrying no matter if they completed the requirements or not. Still, good on Tennessee for putting this through opening the door for responsible gun owning teachers to protect themselves and students.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
DrEvazanPhD said:

I'm all for this bill.

Read the post above this one.
techno-ag
AG
LOYAL AG said:

techno-ag said:

Ciboag96 said:

Quote:

I'd challenge someone on the left to come up with one single time when their dire predictions about gun violence have come true. They're at least as good at predicting this as they are at predicting the weather 30 years into the future. If we could stop people from voting for them we could actually laugh at them uncontrollably without fear of their ideas doing any actual damage.

When Texas adopted Constitutional carry a couple of years ago someone on here talked about their neighbor deciding to move back to Indiana because that was such a reckless decision and they didn't want to be around for it. It was lost on them that Indiana has had constitutional carry for a long time.

Liberals live for hysteria, it gives them validation and the fact that it's never justified by what actually happens isn't even remotely relevant. They have already moved on to the next thing to pay any attention to the fact that they were wrong about the last thing.

LOL.

- Joe Biden

- Kamala Harris
flakrat
AG
LOYAL AG said:

Could definitely look at Tennessee as a retirement destination in fact we've talked about Chattanooga specifically. I'm tied to BCS for the rest of my career and right now both of our kids live here so hard to say where life takes us but that state is appealing for lots of reasons.

Be warned, Chattanooga interstate travel is a complete sheet show.

I have to drive through there every month'ish to/from Bham and always try to hit Chattanooga before 1300 or after 2000 because the littlest thing will lock traffic down. Not much in the way of detours thanks to the mountain and river.
Fenrir

DrEvazanPhD said:

I'm all for this bill.

Read the post above this one.

Saying a left leaning school admin won't allow it despite the law being passed is completely different from this claim you made:
Quote:

Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Of course it is.
ToddyHill
AG
We've lived just south of Knoxville since 2009. My wife and I are thrilled with the new law, and we're convinced Gov. Lee will sign it. That said, the majority of the local media is against the bill, which infuriates me. This is a conservative area, but the media is moving further to the left, and they coordinate their programming to insert their bias.

My perspective on this law goes back to Sandy Hook, where I'm from and where I attended first grade. The entrance to the school was protected by a reinforced glass door that was locked at all times. The perp literally had to shoot a hole into the door to gain entrance, which led into a large foyer. Dawn Hochsprung, the principal, heard the noise and was standing in the foyer where she was gunned down. She had no opportunity to defend herself. I wonder what could have been had she been armed with a semi automatic 9 mm.

Ironically...a few media outlets here have interviewed a few parents and they enthusiastically support the bill.

One last thing...any educator that wishes to carry must complete 40 hours of training, which critics state is not enough to carry a gun safely. Again, the stupidity of those who are against guns.

El Gallo Blanco

I'm all for this bill.

Leftists are deranged for sure. And I would be uneasy being around one with a gun. That being said, it's a warped perverted religion for them, and one of the big no no's is carrying a gun…I doubt very many would at all. Virtually zero actually. But yeah, the modern left is f'ing crazy, and a cancer upon our education system and country, I agree with you. Not often we agree.
LOYAL AG
AG
ToddyHill said:

We've lived just south of Knoxville since 2009. My wife and I are thrilled with the new law, and we're convinced Gov. Lee will sign it. That said, the majority of the local media is against the bill, which infuriates me. This is a conservative area, but the media is moving further to the left, and they coordinate their programming to insert their bias.

My perspective on this law goes back to Sandy Hook, where I'm from and where I attended first grade. The entrance to the school was protected by a reinforced glass door that was locked at all times. The perp literally had to shoot a hole into the door to gain entrance, which led into a large foyer. Dawn Hochsprung, the principal, heard the noise and was standing in the foyer where she was gunned down. She had no opportunity to defend herself. I wonder what could have been had she been armed with a semi automatic 9 mm.

Ironically...a few media outlets here have interviewed a few parents and they enthusiastically support the bill.

One last thing...any educator that wishes to carry must complete 40 hours of training, which critics state is not enough to carry a gun safely. Again, the stupidity of those who are against guns.

Odds are your "local" media isn't local at all and the corporate masters are pushing them further left. Not sure local news exists anymore. The face on screen lives locally but editorial control is a national thing an finding a liberal to enthusiastically read the teleprompter is pretty easy.
techno-ag
AG
LOYAL AG said:

ToddyHill said:

Odds are your "local" media isn't local at all and the corporate masters are pushing them further left. Not sure local news exists anymore. The face on screen lives locally but editorial control is a national thing a finding a liberal to enthusiastically read the teleprompter is pretty easy.
Yup. Teleprompter readers.

- Joe Biden

- Kamala Harris
zooguy96
I used used to teach in middle and high school in Tennessee. I don't know if I was still teaching if I would carry on my person; I would definitely have one in the classroom locked up though.

Of course, the issue is that the teachers who would carry are leaving the profession, at least in Tennessee, in droves. I ended up having to do about at least 50% discipline each day instead of actual teaching, because of the behavior of the students; administration did not help with discipline at all; it took 15 demerits for an office referral to occur.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
91AggieLawyer
AG
ToddyHill said:

We'll never know for sure, but since that lunatic shot himself at the first sign that someone with a gun was approaching him, it is likely that either 1) he never would have entered the building in the first place or 2) cowered in fear and been taken out by either the principal or another teacher, even if he had breached the school and killed one or more people.

Elementary school teachers are not necessarily prone to carry but I can assure you there are several on virtually every elementary campus in the south that would carry to protect their kids and colleagues from exactly what happened at Sandy Hook and Uvalde. At the very least, it hardens a soft target.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.