Electric Water heaters are more efficient with heat pumps?
4,954 Views | 83 Replies
aggiehawg
12:54p, 5/1/24
Can someone explain this to me because I am not seeing something, apparently.

Quote:

The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) today finalized Congressionally-mandated energy-efficiency standards for a range of residential water heaters to save American households approximately $7.6 billion per year on their energy and water bills, while significantly cutting energy waste and harmful carbon pollution. The final standards for residential water heaters align with recommendations from various stakeholders, including efficiency and environmental advocates, the Consumer Federation of America, and a leading U.S. water heater manufacturer. The standards would require the most common-sized electric water heaters to achieve efficiency gains with heat pump technology, helping to accelerate the deployment of this cost-effective, clean energy technology while also reducing strain on the electric grid. Over 30 years of shipments, these updated standards are expected to save Americans $124 billion on their energy bills and reduce 332 million metric tons of dangerous carbon dioxide emissionsequivalent to the combined annual emissions of nearly 43 million homes.

"Almost every U.S. household has a water heater, and for too long outdated energy efficiency standards have led to higher utility bills for families," said U.S. Secretary of Energy Jennifer M. Granholm. "The Biden-Harris Administration is continuing to put American consumers first with new, effective rulessupported by industrythat save both energy and money."

Quote:

DOE last updated residential water heater efficiency standards, which are required by Congress, in 2010. Compliance will be required starting in 2029 for the new standards adopted today, which would result in over 50% of the newly manufactured electric storage water heaters to utilize heat pump technology, compared to 3% today. Replacing common-sized traditional electric resistance storage water heaters with electric heat pump water heaters meeting the new standards would save consumers approximately $1,800 on their utility bills, on average, over the life of the appliance, with total savings helping low-income households, who spend a higher percentage of their income on utility bills in particular.
https://www.energy.gov/articles/doe-finalizes-efficiency-standards-water-heaters-save-americans-over-7-billion-household
Sims
12:58p, 5/1/24
I guess unless you live somewhere that is cold and the heat pump doesn't keep up.

Also, if they're locating indoors, you are just removing heat content from your air which means the furnace has to do more work. If they're outdoors, see first point.

Seems like there will be ideal applications and less than ideal applications.
aggiehawg
1:00p, 5/1/24
In reply to Sims
Sims said:

I guess unless you live somewhere that is cold and the heat pump doesn't keep up.

Also, if they're locating indoors, you are just removing heat content from your air which means the furnace has to do more work. If they're outdoors, see first point.

Seems like there will be ideal applications and less than ideal applications.
But how does this reduce demand on the electric grid?
bmks270
1:00p, 5/1/24
Saves you $3 a year while costing hundreds more to purchase for a 30 break even but only a 3 year warranty. And also talking twice as long to accomplish the same task as the prior generation.

That's how these appliance efficiency standards go.
Phatbob
1:03p, 5/1/24
In reply to bmks270
bmks270 said:

Saves you $3 a year while costing $200 more to purchase for a 30 break even but only an 3 year warranty. And also talking twice as long to accomplish the same task as the prior generation.

Don't forget - under ideal circumstances.
aggiez03
1:04p, 5/1/24
In reply to aggiehawg
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) today finalized Congressionally-mandated energy-efficiency standards for a range of residential water heaters to save American households approximately $7.6 billion per year on their energy and water bills, while significantly cutting energy waste and harmful carbon pollution. The final standards for residential water heaters align with recommendations from various stakeholders, including efficiency and environmental advocates, the Consumer Federation of America, and a leading U.S. water heater manufacturer. The standards would require the most common-sized electric water heaters to achieve efficiency gains with heat pump technology, helping to accelerate the deployment of this cost-effective, clean energy technology while also reducing strain on the electric grid. Over 30 years of shipments, these updated standards are expected to save Americans $124 billion on their energy bills and reduce 332 million metric tons of dangerous carbon dioxide emissionsequivalent to the combined annual emissions of nearly 43 million homes.

"Almost every U.S. household has a water heater, and for too long outdated energy efficiency standards have led to higher utility bills for families," said U.S. Secretary of Energy Jennifer M. Granholm. "The Biden-Harris Administration is continuing to put American consumers first with new, effective rulessupported by industrythat save both energy and money."

Quote:

DOE last updated residential water heater efficiency standards, which are required by Congress, in 2010. Compliance will be required starting in 2029 for the new standards adopted today, which would result in over 50% of the newly manufactured electric storage water heaters to utilize heat pump technology, compared to 3% today. Replacing common-sized traditional electric resistance storage water heaters with electric heat pump water heaters meeting the new standards would save consumers approximately $1,800 on their utility bills, on average, over the life of the appliance, with total savings helping low-income households, who spend a higher percentage of their income on utility bills in particular.
https://www.energy.gov/articles/doe-finalizes-efficiency-standards-water-heaters-save-americans-over-7-billion-household

Based on Home Depot, a 50 Gallon Electric Water Heater is $529

A 50 Gallon Heat Pump Water Heater is $1489 to $2200

So you will pay 3X to 4X as much when your water heater fails (Don't get to plan for that) and then you will save $1,800 over the period of 10 years or $180 per year or $15 per month.

Another gov't program that will hurt the person living paycheck to paycheck.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rheem-ProTerra-50-Gal-10-Year-Hybrid-High-Efficiency-Smart-Tank-Electric-Water-Heater-with-Leak-Detection-Auto-Shutoff-XE50T10HS45U0/312741462

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rheem-Performance-50-Gal-4500-Watt-Elements-Medium-Electric-Water-Heater-with-6-Year-Tank-Warranty-and-240-Volt-XE50M06ST45U1/326434092

And yes there are rebates for the new high efficiency models, but that is just taking cash from the middle class as well.
Gator92
1:06p, 5/1/24
They might save some v standard electric, but no way they cost less to operate than gas...
Gator92
1:08p, 5/1/24
In reply to aggiez03
This one says its available for a $2K tax credit. Funny how the price is $1,950...

https://www.lowes.com/pd/A-O-Smith-Signature-900-50-Gallon-Tall-10-Year-Warranty-240-Volt-Smart-Hybrid-Heat-Pump-Water-Heater-with-Leak-Detection-Automatic-Shut-Off/5002991593?irclickid=358yTw0CoxyKWqTSgl3kCzI%3AUkHTuSQN01cKWM0&irgwc=1&cm_mmc=aff-_-c-_-prd-_-mdv-_-gdy-_-all-_-0-_-264145-_-0
Sims
1:08p, 5/1/24
In reply to Gator92
Gator92 said:

They might save some v standard electric, but no way they cost less to operate than gas...
Always best to compare the green option to the least efficient option. Makes a better use case test

Plus, it's not like natgas is so plentiful in the US that producers, particularly in the Permian, are having to pay people just to take it off the producers' hands.
BadMoonRisin
1:09p, 5/1/24
Saves $1800 for the lifetime of the appliance.

Well...how much does the appliance cost compared to what's available?

Looks like the government once again "saving American's money", just like Obamacare did, right?

The government hasnt done **** to save anyone money, ever.

MAYBE, lowering the speed limit to 55 in the late 70s, but time is money, baby.
P.U.T.U
1:10p, 5/1/24
Yeah its a ton more expensive to save a few dollars in the name of being green.
aggiehawg
1:12p, 5/1/24
When we remodeled the lake house several years back, we already had propane for the furnance so I converted to a propane ondemand water heater. More expensive upfront, of course but for a second home, cost effective. And I was very religious about turning the old water heater on vacation mode whenever we left in the years before. Electric bills went down after the conversion.
akm91
1:15p, 5/1/24
I have 2 natural gas tankless water heaters and I love it. Will never go back to a traditional water heater.
agracer
1:20p, 5/1/24
In reply to bmks270
bmks270 said:

Saves you $3 a year while costing hundreds more to purchase for a 30 break even but only a 3 year warranty. And also talking twice as long to accomplish the same task as the prior generation.

The break even is longer than the life of the heater.

You'll replace it at least once over that 30-years.

But the article had all the right catch phrases to appease the carbon (not a pollutant) nuts so they'll go all in and the sheep will say "baaaaaa".
bmks270
1:22p, 5/1/24
I wonder how much CO2 it emits compared to an electric only heater if you include the extra energy required to produce the heat pump and integrate it.
Artorias
1:24p, 5/1/24
In reply to Sims
Sims said:

This. Here in TN heat pumps are very common, but they fail miserably in the winter months when it is below freezing frequently. Our electric bills in Jan/Feb are crazy high since it is too cold for the heat pump to work, and the system reverts to straight electric coil heat. It is mild enough in the summers up here where the heat pump works out pretty well the rest of the year, but it sucks in the winter.
aggiehawg
1:24p, 5/1/24
So I am not missing anything here.

Thanks guys!
BigTex83
1:32p, 5/1/24
A heat pump for heating and cooling your house produces heat (in the heating mode) at 85 to 92 deg F. Unless this hot water heater uses a thermodynamic cycle different than the Carnot cycle not going to have very hot water.

My electric and gas hot water heaters always produced hot water in range of 125 and the one I have now (tankless gas) hours to 135 which I've dialed down.
Fightin_Aggie
1:47p, 5/1/24
If you factor in the waste heat that is dumped into your typically air conditioned space and the added install cost no way this saves anything.
The world needs mean tweets

My Pronouns Ultra and MAGA

Trump 2024
jrdaustin
1:48p, 5/1/24
Wowza. I just looked at how they marry heat pump technology with water heaters and it will be a crapshow.

Apparently the idea is to stick a compressor and evaporator coil on top of the water heater, with a fan to move airflow. Then, you reject the heat into a refrigerant-to-water condenser in the tank.

Yes, it will be more efficient than an electric resistance element in the tank, but it will also bring a lot of problems.

As mentioned above, your max water temp will be a direct result of the ambient air temp at the time of heating.

So if your water heater is located in a closet in the house, you're basically screwed, because your normal air conditioning system will have to be set high enough so the tank heat pump will operate. It will be cool around the water heater, but not so much in other areas of the house.

Put it in the attic or garage you say? That's great in the summer when temps are high. But in the fall and winter when your temps are 70 and below, your water heater will not heat water above 90 degrees. With our body temp being 98, that's not hot.

I'm guessing they'll have an "emergency heat" backup that will be resistance, but it will be used very often, mostly negating the benefits of a heat pump.

The reason a heat pump works for air conditioning is simple. If you're wanting to cool inside, it's hot outside. When you want to heat inside, it's cold outside. There's a reversing valve that can reverse the system. However, when we want hot water, it may be hot OR cold outside.

In summary, this is a monumentally STUPID idea that is being pushed on a single metric, that resistance heat is less efficient than a refrigeration cycle. That's true, but not relevant in the water heating world.
aggiehawg
1:56p, 5/1/24
In reply to jrdaustin
So another Solyndra boon doggle?
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
1:56p, 5/1/24
Note to self, buy 4 water heaters in 2028 and mothball them until needed. That should last me the rest of my time on this earth putting up with this lunacy.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
richardag
1:59p, 5/1/24
In reply to aggiehawg
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Quote:

Gas water heaters avoid the strain in the grid completely. In line gas water heaters avoid the strain on the grid completely even better.
jrdaustin
2:00p, 5/1/24
In reply to Fightin_Aggie
Fightin_Aggie said:

If you factor in the waste heat that is dumped into your typically air conditioned space and the added install cost no way this saves anything.
It's actually the opposite. The waste heat is going into the tank. It's actually cooling the ambient space. But you're correct in that if you're trying to cool a space that's already below 75 degrees, you're not going to get a lot of rejected heat, ergo you're not saving much.

Now they probably have a refrigerant that can reject 140 degree heat from 70 ambient, but it won't be fast. And I'm curious as to what the operating pressures will have to be. Higher pressures = quicker failures.
jrdaustin
2:05p, 5/1/24
In reply to aggiehawg
aggiehawg said:

So another Solyndra boon doggle?
Definitely not fully thought out. I've been out of the industry for awhile, so I'm going to have to look at some of the youtube videos of the people singing its praises to be 100% sure.

But I strongly suspect that people that love these have them in a basement that is consistent in temp year round, and only have a couple of people in the house, so a 3-4 hour recovery is fine for them.

Stick one in my garage in Texas with our winters, and my house with 3 kids (one who is the world record holder for shower length...) and I'm pretty sure I'd be cussing the thing and switching to resistance heat often.

One thing I have noticed is that most of the sites pushing these based on their efficiency stick in the quiet disclaimer that the efficiencies are based upon 100% heat pump usage. That disclaimer is a tell, imo.
bmks270
2:13p, 5/1/24
In reply to jrdaustin
jrdaustin said:

Wowza. I just looked at how they marry heat pump technology with water heaters and it will be a crapshow.

Apparently the idea is to stick a compressor and evaporator coil on top of the water heater, with a fan to move airflow. Then, you reject the heat into a refrigerant-to-water condenser in the tank.

Yes, it will be more efficient than an electric resistance element in the tank, but it will also bring a lot of problems.

As mentioned above, your max water temp will be a direct result of the ambient air temp at the time of heating.

So if your water heater is located in a closet in the house, you're basically screwed, because your normal air conditioning system will have to be set high enough so the tank heat pump will operate. It will be cool around the water heater, but not so much in other areas of the house.

Put it in the attic or garage you say? That's great in the summer when temps are high. But in the fall and winter when your temps are 70 and below, your water heater will not heat water above 90 degrees. With our body temp being 98, that's not hot.

I'm guessing they'll have an "emergency heat" backup that will be resistance, but it will be used very often, mostly negating the benefits of a heat pump.

The reason a heat pump works for air conditioning is simple. If you're wanting to cool inside, it's hot outside. When you want to heat inside, it's cold outside. There's a reversing valve that can reverse the system. However, when we want hot water, it may be hot OR cold outside.

In summary, this is a monumentally STUPID idea that is being pushed on a single metric, that resistance heat is less efficient than a refrigeration cycle. That's true, but not relevant in the water heating world.

You can't put them in a closet.

Also, pics I saw had them outside, like your AC units. I think the idea is they use the ambient air to heat the water.

Yeah it's doable but expensive and extra complexity compared to gas or electric coil.

It's also kind of dumb because you can't heat the water hotter than ambient air even with 100% heat transfer efficiency, so you need augmented heat anyway, so you still need the original coil or gas system.

You spend less on electricity using heat from ambient, but have to spend $1500-2000 on the higher complexity system, it makes it pointless.

Just make more cheap grid energy (nuclear), that is overall more economically efficient for society.
IndividualFreedom
2:16p, 5/1/24
This is how Congress gets rich.
JamesE4
2:35p, 5/1/24
In reply to bmks270
bmks270 said:

jrdaustin said:

Also, pics I saw had them outside, like your AC units. I think the idea is they use the ambient air to heat the water.

Yeah it's doable but expensive and extra complexity compared to gas or electric coil.

It's also kind of dumb because you can't heat the water hotter than ambient air even with 100% heat transfer efficiency, so you need augmented heat anyway, so you still need the original coil or gas system.

You spend less on electricity using heat from ambient, but have to spend $1500-2000 on the higher complexity system, it makes it pointless.

Just make more cheap grid energy (nuclear), that is overall more economically efficient for society.
I don't think you understand how heat pumps work
Tutored Frog
3:18p, 5/1/24
In reply to aggiez03
You also may have to think about the cost of replumbing the house as these are taller and have a larger diameters than most of the heaters that are in homes currently.
Kansas Kid
4:25p, 5/1/24
I installed an inground pump and dump geothermal unit for my HVAC and for an extra $400, added a waste heat recovery system to my traditional water heater. During the cooling system, it is essentially free to heat the water to whatever temp you can stand. During the winter, it was a little more efficient than when I burned gas.

The geothermal unit for my HVAC cost an extra $6000 to install but cut my bills for gas and electric by about 40%. I think it was a 2.5 year payback and I got rid of the annoying condensing fans outside.

Needless to say, I did it for green reasons. The Benjamin's were great to save.
Kansas Kid
4:27p, 5/1/24
In reply to JamesE4
JamesE4 said:

bmks270 said:

jrdaustin said:

I don't think you understand how heat pumps work

Try convincing someone that you can have 20F temperatures outside and use it to heat your house to 75F. I gave up trying long ago.
cecil77
4:31p, 5/1/24
I have a 125,000 BTU heat pump water heater. Connected to my pool.

At best I get 8 degree temperature rise incoming/outgoing. I suppose they could recirculate the water through the heat pump and get the water as hot as you'd want. But it would take awhile and you'd need a large enough tank so that make up water didn't cool off the reservoir too much.
ABATTBQ11
4:39p, 5/1/24
These have been around for quite awhile, and they do work as advertised. There is a significant savings over standard electric water heaters, though exactly how much depends on your electricity prices. I did my research when I replaced my water heater last year, and a lot of people who had them in similar conditions reported saving ~$300/yr. My wife's grandparents got one when their old water heater started leaking about 3-4 years ago, and their electric bills have decreased in about that range. All of the complaints about, "This will never work," are easily refuted by plenty of real world evidence of them actually working.

That said, I could have gotten a very basic electric for about $1000 less, but if I'm saving $300/yr in operating costs that's a 3 year payback on an appliance that should last 12-15. My wife's grandparents' is warrantied for 10, parts and tank, so you could easily use that as a minimum life cycle. That's a pretty substantial savings over the life of the water heater. I chose not to go that route because we aren't sure we'll be in the house long enough to see the benefit, but if we were more confident in being there longer I'd probably have gone for it.

Yes, these do drop operating costs into the range of gas water heaters.
cecil77
4:56p, 5/1/24
Yeah, rethinking it, a heat pump lets us use our pool year round. I have propane for occasional heavy lifting, but resistance heating wouldn't work at all. Well engineered and appropriately sized, I could see it working, given a decent place to put it.

What's missing in some of the above discussion is the heat accumulation, it's not running through the heat pump once, rather continually until the desired temperature is reached.
VitruvianAg
4:56p, 5/1/24
In reply to Gator92
Correct, and the HP WH has a 40% slower recovery rate...

I went tankless 30 years ago and I'm on my third one...this has the capacity for two showers and the kitchen sink simultaneously, and I don't notice the load....never going back to standard WH, gas or electric.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 3
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings