Troy Nehls (R-TX 22nd District) accused of 'stolen valor'
3,084 Views | 31 Replies
rgvag11
11:28a, 5/3/24
https://www.facebook.com/SheriffTNehls/videos/182301919512464
At the age of 19, Troy enlisted in the U.S. Army Reserve. He deployed on combat tours to Iraq and Afghanistan, among other places. After 21 years of service, he retired with the rank of Major and as the recipient of two Bronze Star medals. Back home, Troy continued his service through law enforcement, a multi-generational tradition for his family.
https://nehls.house.gov/about/about

A well decorated vet in his own right, but possibly made false claims. How much prestige or political advantage did he think he gained from having two Bronze Stars instead of one. Is there more to this story? Very perplexing.
Vepp
11:31a, 5/3/24
If he's willing to lie about something so easily checked, then I wouldn't want him making decisions for my district.
MouthBQ98
11:33a, 5/3/24
Sometimes these get a bit ridiculous, especially considering the considerable variability over which these are awarded over time for some of the lower level awards. But a politician would be well served to be accurate as they'll be getting extra scrutiny.
Irish 2.0
11:34a, 5/3/24
This is a nothing burger in terms of stolen valor.

The Combat Infantryman Badge wasn't revoked until AFTER he was elected as well.
BoydCrowder13
11:35a, 5/3/24
Odd
Owlagdad
11:35a, 5/3/24
Next he will tell us he got kicked off the porch of a black family.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
11:41a, 5/3/24
Quick replace him with some limp wristed trust fund baby that went to an Ivy league school, has never had a job, and has direct ties to Soros. Even better if he is a career public speaker.
shack009
11:43a, 5/3/24
You had twelve brothers and sisters?

Eight.

Yeah, 12 sounds better.
MelvinUdall
11:49a, 5/3/24
I am not defending his alleged lie, but why now?
aalan94
11:49a, 5/3/24
A little perspective: It seems like there could be a case here, based on the suggestion that he claimed 2 medals for the same period and some other factors.

That being said, but for you folks who have not served, don't attack someone for claiming something that's not in their record. The record is entirely dependent on bureaucratic bubbas doing their freakin' job, which is like betting on a unicorn to appear.

I served in Iraq and got a medal that was properly awarded, but it took admin 8 years to get it in my record. When I finally got it in, the one in a million useful guy in the admin section said "yeah, they didn't have the dates on the citation, so you have to stick them in the typewriter and type them on manually. That's why it didn't go through."

Crap like that goes on in the military all day long.
Nanomachines son
11:50a, 5/3/24
And this is why you should vote for a Democrat, who won't ever lie or cheat!
doubledog
12:01p, 5/3/24
One bronze star is one more than any of those cowardly democrats at CBS news were ever awarded.
Ag87H2O
12:26p, 5/3/24

Sounds like an administrative error on the military's part that was ironed out in 2023, well after he got elected.

I don't think this is the gotcha some seem to want to make it. I mean heaven forbid - he only earned one bronze star.

Truth be told, he's a Republican in an increasingly blue district, primarily located in Fort Bend County southwest of Houston. This smells a lot like a typical Democrat smear game.
Gator_2
12:28p, 5/3/24
This is NOT stolen valor. Sounds like administrative errors/oversight at the most.
Easy come, easy go
Teslag
12:33p, 5/3/24
Ya, that guy has a far more impressive resume than most people that served, myself included. Not going to roast him because RPAC didn't do their job in IPERMS
Burrus86
2:07p, 5/3/24
Yet Joe has made more ridiculous and preposterous claims…
VitruvianAg
2:10p, 5/3/24
Get back to me when something is done regarding Senator Blumenthal.....
Houston Lee
3:19p, 5/3/24
I went to Armor Officer Basic Course with Nehls at Ft. Knox when we were both 2nd LTs. We had some good times and played some funny tricks on the OPFOR during our "10 day war".

Never did I imagine that he would "grow up" to be the Ft. Bend County Sheriff and later a Congressman..LOL!!!
InfantryAg
3:52p, 5/3/24
Bronze Stars are 95% an award for admin people who did their jobs in a "war" (this included kuwait etc) zone. It's become a crap award and means nothing, at least in the Army.

Bronze Star with a V device is an actual earned award.

Him wearing that CIB pin is garbage. He wasn't an Infantryman and didn't earn it. Even if someone made an administrative mistake, he should have had the internal fortitude to get that fixed. In the interim, he should have never claimed to have one, let alone wear one. That is DECEIT! That is Stolen Valor, he wears the pin to benefit him.

I knew a guy who was in Afghanistan two weeks before he fell off a truck and broke his leg. His battalion was later blanket awarded CIBs (also crap), and his name was still on the list, so he got one. Boy did he like to show that off.
Squadron7
4:04p, 5/3/24
Is this the guy that was in the foxhole with Beau Biden when he was tragically cut down?
jeremiahjt
4:08p, 5/3/24
I thought there was some rule that non-infantry could get a CIB under certain circumstances.
txwxman
4:43p, 5/3/24
"That being said, but for you folks who have not served, don't attack someone for claiming something that's not in their record."

Ah yes, I was waiting for this. The "you're not qualified to comment" demand. Similar to the "if you have never owned a business, don't attack someone for cheating on their taxes" retort.
txwxman
4:46p, 5/3/24
I'm gonna try this logic in the Methodist thread and see what happens.
Agthatbuilds
4:46p, 5/3/24
A politician spinning every possibly good, even if not quite accurate, thing from their past to make themselves appear better than they are....

Shocked face
Im Gipper
4:48p, 5/3/24
Nehls is a great man!

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt here!

I'm Gipper
Im Gipper
4:50p, 5/3/24
In reply to txwxman
txwxman said:

I'm gonna try this logic in the Methodist thread and see what happens.

Fell on your face is what happened.

I'm Gipper
Ryan the Temp
4:52p, 5/3/24
In reply to aalan94
aalan94 said:

A little perspective: It seems like there could be a case here, based on the suggestion that he claimed 2 medals for the same period and some other factors.

That being said, but for you folks who have not served, don't attack someone for claiming something that's not in their record. The record is entirely dependent on bureaucratic bubbas doing their freakin' job, which is like betting on a unicorn to appear.

I served in Iraq and got a medal that was properly awarded, but it took admin 8 years to get it in my record. When I finally got it in, the one in a million useful guy in the admin section said "yeah, they didn't have the dates on the citation, so you have to stick them in the typewriter and type them on manually. That's why it didn't go through."

Crap like that goes on in the military all day long.
Yep. When I got out I was still missing at least 4 medals from my DD214 and had to go back to the Board for Correction of Military Records to get them added.
drcrinum
5:24p, 5/3/24
My wife & I are big fans of Troy Nehls. He's a big-time Conservative. We voted for him when he was Sheriff, voted for him each time he has ran for Congress, and we even have donated to his campaign. My wife is forever sending messages to his office. He didn't vote for that last Ukraine money bill.
InfantryAg
5:31p, 5/3/24
In reply to drcrinum
drcrinum said:

My wife & I are big fans of Troy Nehls. He's a big-time Conservative. We voted for him when he was Sheriff, voted for him each time he has ran for Congress, and we even have donated to his campaign. My wife is forever sending messages to his office. He didn't vote for that last Ukraine money bill.
He's also dishonest, trying to pass himself off as a Combat Infantryman.
Old Army Ghost
6:59p, 5/3/24
In reply to InfantryAg
InfantryAg said:

drcrinum said:

lol

it was given to him and later corrected in 2023

you just a grumpy guy who sounds like the old men at the vfw
Old Army has gone to hell.
InfantryAg
7:45p, 5/3/24
In reply to Old Army Ghost
Old Army Ghost said:

InfantryAg said:

lol

it was given to him and later corrected in 2023

you just a grumpy guy who sounds like the old men at the vfw
He knew he wasn't an infantryman. He 100% knew he wasn't entitled to a CIB.

When you get off of active duty you check your DD214 before it's finalized. It's more likely that he had the clerk add it on there.

The CIB is the most coveted award an infantryman can EARN, next to maybe the MoH. It is an award you earn for engaging the enemy, something an infantryman signs up to do. An infantryman signs up for it knowing he has the highest probability of dying in battle.

It was so envied that the army had to invent the CAB.

I've never been to a VFW because (historically) it's full of guys like him, trying to make out that they were something more than they were.
FCBlitz
9:39p, 5/3/24
It is just an opportunity for democrats to act like 16 year old Nancy's that are mad at the world.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings