Democrats Call on Biden to Take Executive Action to Lower Grocery Prices
6,232 Views | 81 Replies
Helicopter Ben
9:35a, 5/15/24
In reply to Rapier108
Rapier108 said:

It won't be long before they demand price controls be imposed.

We all know this is coming. Is there any chance they'll free up markets? Is there any chance they'll stop the insane spending? Will they cut taxes? No, they won't be doing any of that. The government will do the stupidest most interventionist policy possible. Price controls are one of the major warning signs that collapse is imminent.
Tom Kazansky 2012
9:38a, 5/15/24
In reply to Phatbob
Phatbob said:

"Notably, grocery prices have not fallen at the same rate as inflation. This is "caused by excessive price gouging by food and grocery giants," the Democrats claimed."

I'm curious what it is that they think inflation is, because that statement is proof that they don't know what it actually is

Yeah i was gonna say... if your commodity prices aren't coming down--you know it just miiiiiight be actual inflation.
Tex100
9:44a, 5/15/24
Grocers can be greedy. In the 80's cattle were at a low point in the cattle cycle and meat prices were up. After cattle numbers increased grocers were reluctant to reduce their retail prices even though their costs decreased. Took some congressional saber rattling to get their attention.

For present times, what makes them think inflation decreased ? And it still doesn't mean costs are where they were three years ago.
agwrestler
10:00a, 5/15/24
In reply to BTKAG97
BTKAG97 said:

So inflation isn't enough. Democrats now want empty shelves.

Followed by a stock market crash.
smucket
4:03p, 5/15/24
In reply to BTKAG97
BTKAG97 said:

So inflation isn't enough. Democrats now want empty shelves.
You want to know what scarcity looks like? When it doesn't matter how much $$ you have, because no one can provide food due to government intervention? How many times do government officials need to see what happens to the free market when they intervene? She needs to stick to, I don't know, shutting the hell up
Today is Yesterday's Pupil
smucket
4:07p, 5/15/24
In reply to richardag
richardag said:

ProgN said:

Tell me you never passed econ101 without telling me you never took it.

Groceries have some of the lowest profit margins, so internal polling for dims must be awful in tossup districts.
You are correct. It needs to be repeated A LOT that "Groceries have some of the lowest profit margins".

I fully expect the MSM will ignore this fact and follow the "Party line" that the evil food companies are price gouging. Those same companies that have been DNC donors.
Correct. Prices on vegetables and canned good are measured in pennies per dollar.
Stat Monitor Repairman
4:11p, 5/15/24
High grocery prices is the poor man's Ozempic.
smucket
4:20p, 5/15/24
In reply to Tex100
Quote:

For present times, what makes them think inflation decreased ?
It's about the rate of inflation. It's not something that normal people think about, but I do because I am an investment advisor to large corporations looking to hedge against inflation. Inflation continues unabated, however the rate of inflation can increase/decrease and THAT is what gets reported and the media slobbers all over themselves about.
Funky Winkerbean
4:27p, 5/15/24
Resigning is an executive action.
Sea Speed
5:04p, 5/15/24
In reply to C@LAg
C@LAg said:

democrats. all democrats. are the dumbest people on this planet.

How would your lady friend feel about that statement
Tramp96
5:08p, 5/15/24
In reply to C@LAg
C@LAg said:

democrats. all democrats. are the dumbest and most dishonest people on this planet.

Now your statement is complete.
LMCane
8:15a, 5/16/24
In reply to aggiepanic95
aggiepanic95 said:

It's NOT inflation, IT'S GREEDY GROCERS! You know those grocers that sell commodities with razer thin margins...they are greedy ones and need to bring down prices!!
"stop firing grocery store workers and lower prices at the same time greedy owners!!"
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 3 of 3
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings