Stood up by a recruiter
11,256 Views | 97 Replies
infinity ag
8:58a, 3/20/24
In reply to zooguy96
zooguy96 said:

Infinity, sorry for your predicament. I hope you eventually find something that suits you and where you can be happy.

Finding a position that fits (work environment, supervisor) is far more important to me than pay, etc. When I was first teaching, the administration was far more helpful; erego, I wasn't looking. I left for my wife's company, who recruited me for a position.

When I can back, the administration was new, and far less helpful (it takes 15 "demerits" for an office referral, which led to nothing, and the student back in class with no real consequences).

I'm finally leaving teaching. Got a job as an Asst Manager. Not exactly what I'm looking for, but far better than teaching middle school brats. I got it through networking.

I had a 2nd interview last week for a position I'm very interested in, a first interview with another job I'm very interested in, and have a first interview with a 3rd job I'm very interested in. All these other 3 jobs fit my career experience far better, and would represent a nice pay raise. Either way, at least I've left teaching for good.

Again, hope something works out sooner rather than later.
What makes me sad also is I am finding advancement to be a big challenge. I see many of my former classmates doing well and growing. I have all the "ingredients". I work hard, have the education (3 degrees from good schools), I keep up with the latest. Every company I join seems healthy but in a year or so starts showing financial problems and then there's a massive layoff and yes, I am always part of it. Good performance reviews don't seem to matter. I am even working on "hot" stuff like AI/ML.

My big downfall has been to stick in this Midwestern city while wanting to do Product Management jobs. Not going to happen - wtf was I thinking? Everyone I know has moved to Austin, Seattle or San Fran.

I am as cursed as Aggie Football.

I need to get out of here as soon as I can. Daughter is a soph in HS so I am hesitant to disturb her school. But I might just do it if something good comes up.

The other thing is, on self-reflection, my parents did not bother to mentor or give me any advice. Other than the basics, I grew up on my own. So I did not want that for my kids, I wanted them to have a parent who is involved in their life. That has worked out reasonable well. In the process, I neglected my own career and probably was not aggressive enough. Anyway, lesson learned, time to focus on ME.
infinity ag
9:02a, 3/20/24
In reply to Cromagnum
Cromagnum said:

I just had a meeting with a recruiter who then passed my resume to their VP. The VP wanted to meet on a call the next day, but then ghosted me.

I am still in ghosted territory with the company I mention above. They are supposed to give me an interview schedule this week. I am willing to wager that it won't actually happen and they are hoping that I get a job somewhere and go away silently. They probably don't to send me a reject after moving me to the final round to do a presentation - makes them look incompetent.
infinity ag
9:47a, 3/20/24
In reply to AggieArchitect04
AggieArchitect04 said:

Why do you want to work at Wal-Mart so badly?

Amazing thing happened just now!

A few minutes ago, I got an email from Wal-Mart for the SAME position they had called me for 6 weeks ago that they had ghosted me on twice. This time the recruiter is different and wants to see if I have some time next week.

I had written off that opportunity but it is back now.

Hurray! I am unghosted!

PS: BAS is kicking in... will I be ghosted again??
infinity ag
9:30a, 3/22/24
There was nothing from Walmart after 2 days so I emailed him again late last night and voila, today he scheduled a call for Monday.
Now this has happened before so no biggie. Now I have to see if he actually shows up to the call that he himself scheduled.
ThunderFighter06
10:31a, 3/22/24
In reply to infinity ag
Good luck! I ended up not getting interviewed. They did have decency to let me know ahead of time. Not terribly upset about it. Wasn't my dream job. If anything I was hoping for some interview practice!
infinity ag
10:02a, 3/25/24
Just had my call with Walmart.
After getting ghosted by the same company 5 times over a span of 15 years (3 times in 2009, twice in 2024), I actually talked to the recruiter for a phone screen.
Went well, if I get it and take it, I would have to move which is a good thing for my kind of jobs.
AJ02
12:11p, 3/25/24
In reply to infinity ag
Is it in Bentonville? I thought that area of AR was beautiful. I tried to get my company (we were a major supplier of Walmart) to let me take a position as a liaison working out of the bentonville office. I don't have any kids so I know nothing about the school system there, but I'd move to that area in a heartbeat.
zooguy96
3:14p, 3/25/24
I got ghosted by a college I had interviewed with twice. After hearing nothing for two weeks, I emailed the recruiter to see what the status of the position was. She said that they were re-posting the position.

That is the second time this is happened to me concerning a job with a college. It's like they are you looking for a unicorn that doesn't exist.

It's also very unprofessional to not at least inform the candidate that they did not get the position.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
infinity ag
1:02p, 3/26/24
In reply to AJ02
AJ02 said:

Is it in Bentonville? I thought that area of AR was beautiful. I tried to get my company (we were a major supplier of Walmart) to let me take a position as a liaison working out of the bentonville office. I don't have any kids so I know nothing about the school system there, but I'd move to that area in a heartbeat.

No, this job is in Sunnyvale, CA. For my kind of jobs in tech, I need to be in the Bay Area. I am sadly in the dying Midwest. I am moved to the next round with Walmart for a call with the hiring manager (yay!). This is a first, in 15 years with Walmart.
I have made up my mind that if it so happens that I have this offer and no other, I will take it and move. Time to GTFO from here.
infinity ag
1:06p, 3/26/24
The other company in MA is continuing to ghost me. I first got a call from them 47 days ago, and last contact with them was 11 days ago when the HR lady asked me to wait until next week. This morning I decided to get it over with and emailed the hiring manager and his manager who both interviewed me in Feb and Mar asking where I stood. Just tell me and cut me loose if that is what it is. Just don't STFU and add to the confusion. Nothing yet and it's been about 5 hours. I will email the HR lady (who at least was responsive) tomorrow and if I get the same "wait another week" nonsense, I will consider the position dormant, let it rest and not contact them until they call me again. I wasted an entire Saturday working on a presentation and a talk track for the last round with them. Luckily I didn't spend too much time practicing.
ABATTBQ87
11:22a, 3/27/24
In reply to infinity ag
infinity ag said:

The other company in MA is continuing to ghost me. I first got a call from them 47 days ago, and last contact with them was 11 days ago when the HR lady asked me to wait until next week. This morning I decided to get it over with and emailed the hiring manager and his manager who both interviewed me in Feb and Mar asking where I stood. Just tell me and cut me loose if that is what it is. Just don't STFU and add to the confusion. Nothing yet and it's been about 5 hours. I will email the HR lady (who at least was responsive) tomorrow and if I get the same "wait another week" nonsense, I will consider the position dormant, let it rest and not contact them until they call me again. I wasted an entire Saturday working on a presentation and a talk track for the last round with them. Luckily I didn't spend too much time practicing.
Move on, you are not on their hot list
infinity ag
1:23p, 3/27/24
In reply to ABATTBQ87
ABATTBQ87 said:

infinity ag said:

Move on, you are not on their hot list

I agree. I sent the recruiter an email last night and she's usually responsive and no reply after 6 hours today. I think it is time to move on. I looked up glassdoor, and they did something similar to someone else for the same job title. In his case, they made him do the presentation round and then ghosted him.
infinity ag
9:28a, 3/28/24
Got an email from the recruiter today than the job is "on hold". I wasted so much time on interviews and prep for a presentation that never happened.

Maybe I dodged a bullet on a company that is shaky. Maybe they found someone else and could not just say "went with other candidates" because they earlier said the VP call went well. So this may be their way out.

Anyway, that is done. Closure. Time to move on.
Cromagnum
12:55p, 3/30/24
In reply to infinity ag
infinity ag said:

Got an email from the recruiter today than the job is "on hold". I wasted so much time on interviews and prep for a presentation that never happened.

Maybe I dodged a bullet on a company that is shaky. Maybe they found someone else and could not just say "went with other candidates" because they earlier said the VP call went well. So this may be their way out.

Anyway, that is done. Closure. Time to move on.

I wouldn't sweat it. If they treat you this way as a job candidate, just imagine how they will treat you as an employee.
infinity ag
9:07a, 4/11/24
On the topic of ghosting, a recruiter has this to say as she looks and gets ghosted herself.
She is right on many points but there is a reason why recruiters are hated today for their unprofessionalism.

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/maelehargett_i-am-still-looking-for-an-opportunity-7-activity-7184180192758636544-mTr4

Petrino1
10:59a, 4/11/24
In reply to infinity ag
infinity ag said:

On the topic of ghosting, a recruiter has this to say as she looks and gets ghosted herself.
She is right on many points but there is a reason why recruiters are hated today for their unprofessionalism.

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/maelehargett_i-am-still-looking-for-an-opportunity-7-activity-7184180192758636544-mTr4

Infinity I agree with you, recruiter ghosting has gotten out of control. However, as a hiring manager who has hired a lot of people in my career, I cant tell you how many times candidates have ghosted during interviews. Im talking about a scheduled interview with the candidate, and they just dont show up. Ive seen newly hired employees not show up on their first day of work with no response at all from them.

It happens all the times on both sides. Seems like people these days just afraid of confrontation or giving negative news.
AJ02
11:41a, 4/11/24
In reply to Petrino1
Is this for more high-level, high-paying, professional roles? Or roles for entry level, lower end, high school grad types?
BadMoonRisin
12:23p, 4/11/24
Im going on 14 months now. Absolutely soul crushing.

The number of times i completed final round interviews thinking an offer was going to be on the way in a few days only to be called later and told it wasn't coming is at 6 right now after about 10 final round interviews. 3 of them the role was not being funded (this was Q3 of last year-ish) and 3 of them was that I lost out to another candidate with more experience (I have 15 years of experience in sales/planning/operations)

It's really discouraging, they're just a glut of talent out there and a shortage of (full time, well paying, professional) jobs, but every new interview meeting is an independent event, so Ive just been practicing/prepping for interviews intensely when I have them booked to hope the next one works out.

Hang in there, OP and im wishing you luck.
Petrino1
12:38p, 4/11/24
In reply to AJ02
AJ02 said:

Is this for more high-level, high-paying, professional roles? Or roles for entry level, lower end, high school grad types?

Of course, this happens more with manufacturing, skilled labor, types of positions. But I've seen candidates ghosting for experienced office positions as well. A lot of candidates apply to roles on indeed and then never respond if you try and reach out to them.

Never thought ghosting existed on the candidate side as well until I became a hiring manager.
zooguy96
1:25p, 4/11/24
What's even worse is when you do an initial interview and a second, all day interview (done this twice in the last 6 months), and they never contact you, instead, reposting the job that you are well qualified for. Both positions were in academia.

It's like they are looking for a unicorn who doesn't exist. Unprofessional at the least.
infinity ag
1:30p, 4/11/24
In reply to zooguy96
zooguy96 said:

What's even worse is when you do an initial interview and a second, all day interview (done this twice in the last 6 months), and they never contact you, instead, reposting the job that you are well qualified for. Both positions were in academia.

It's like they are looking for a unicorn who doesn't exist. Unprofessional at the least.

Wow man that sucks. Sorry to hear that.
I see many jobs on Linkedin that have 500+ applications. I apply and don't get a reply. Then a few weeks later I see the job reposted.
Obviously all the 500+ people suck and are not good enough.

I went through 3 rounds including a half day final round with a famous internet company. Everything seemed good. Reject. I asked for feedback. HR says "the team could not figure out what you did and what the team did".
WTF???
IF YOU CANNOT FIGURE OUT, ALL YOU HAD TO DO WAS ASK. I WOULD HAVE CLARIFIED.

So apparently they thought all that I was talking about was something "the team" did. I had no "team", it was just me on the Product Management side. So everything was my work.
Dumbasses. The job is still posted. They lost out on an experienced candidate. Their loss.

I am currently ghosted by 1 recruiter. She contacted me on LI for a job (I did not apply). We had a call on 1 Apr. Then she said all was good, will send my info to the company. I contact her on 3 Apr, she said not yet, end of week or early next week. I message her again 4/8 and 4/10 on LI and she has not replied. But she posts on LI even while ignoring me
She sent me a connection req so I am connected to her.

F her. I will give it one last chance tomorrow morning. If nothing by end of tomorrow, I mark it as "Closed" and move on.
infinity ag
1:37p, 4/11/24
In reply to Petrino1
Petrino1 said:

infinity ag said:

Infinity I agree with you, recruiter ghosting has gotten out of control. However, as a hiring manager who has hired a lot of people in my career, I cant tell you how many times candidates have ghosted during interviews. Im talking about a scheduled interview with the candidate, and they just dont show up. Ive seen newly hired employees not show up on their first day of work with no response at all from them.

It happens all the times on both sides. Seems like people these days just afraid of confrontation or giving negative news.

How hard is it to send a bland "sorry but we went with another dude" email? That excuse does not fly today. I prefer an email to a call. Rip off the band-aid.

Either way, some candidates doing it is no reason to justify companies doing it. Sheety behavior whoever does it.
On Monday I waited for Walmart lady to call me. My BAS acted up, would I be ghosted? 2 mins past time. But then she did call, and I am now going to talk to the Hiring Manager. Wish me luck if this works out, I GTFO from the hell hole of a midwest and move to the Bay Area at their expense where most stuff in my field is happening.
zooguy96
1:38p, 4/11/24
In reply to infinity ag
infinity ag said:

zooguy96 said:

Wow man that sucks. Sorry to hear that.
I see many jobs on Linkedin that have 500+ applications. I apply and don't get a reply. Then a few weeks later I see the job reposted.
Obviously all the 500+ people suck and are not good enough.

I went through 3 rounds including a half day final round with a famous internet company. Everything seemed good. Reject. I asked for feedback. HR says "the team could not figure out what you did and what the team did".
WTF???
IF YOU CANNOT FIGURE OUT, ALL YOU HAD TO DO WAS ASK. I WOULD HAVE CLARIFIED.

So apparently they thought all that I was talking about was something "the team" did. I had no "team", it was just me on the Product Management side. So everything was my work.
Dumbasses. The job is still posted. They lost out on an experienced candidate. Their loss.

Yeah, I'm working retail in a management position right now (couldn't handle middle school kids any longer - they were horrible) while I try to find the right job for me.

Recently did a pre-screening interview for another position in academia, and another for a training position for an airline company. Hopefully, one of these work out or something else. I don't want to be working retail forever (the work has been done so far; the hours suck).
Petrino1
1:53p, 4/11/24
In reply to infinity ag
infinity ag said:

Petrino1 said:

infinity ag said:

How hard is it to send a bland "sorry but we went with another dude" email? That excuse does not fly today. I prefer an email to a call. Rip off the band-aid.

Either way, some candidates doing it is no reason to justify companies doing it. Sheety behavior whoever does it.
On Monday I waited for Walmart lady to call me. My BAS acted up, would I be ghosted? 2 mins past time. But then she did call, and I am now going to talk to the Hiring Manager. Wish me luck if this works out, I GTFO from the hell hole of a midwest and move to the Bay Area at their expense where most stuff in my field is happening.
I totally agree with you, and Im not saying its ok for recruiters to ghost. Im just saying Ive seen a lot of candidates do it as well. It happens on both sides. Must be a generational thing or a new trend, it happens in dating also. People are afraid to hurt other people's feelings so they rather just ghost.

Nice man! I hope the Walmart gig works out. That would be a pretty sweet gig, and living in the Bay Area instead of Arkansas is an added bonus

infinity ag
4:46p, 4/11/24
Looks like now I am being ghosted by Amazon.

Yesterday at noon I got a message in my LI asking if I am interested in a certain position. I did not apply, she found me. In an hour I messaged back saying I am, let's talk. It is now almost 30 hours since and no reply. I sent her 2 messages and just now an email.

Maybe she is busy probably having sprayed the same message for the same job to 1000 candidates
. If she gets her shortlist of 20 candidates, she may completely disappear.
20ag07
5:08p, 4/11/24
In reply to infinity ag
Quote:

In an hour I messaged back saying I am, let's talk. It is now almost 30 hours since and no reply. I sent her 2 messages and just now an email.
Dude.

Really.

In the course of 30 hours from initial contact, you sent 2 messages and an email? Then ran to the internet crying that you had been ghosted?

You have to chill the fk out.

This is not behavior that is attractive to any employer or recruiter.

Everybody hopes you find a job. But your timelines are wiiiiillllddd.
infinity ag
5:37p, 4/11/24
In reply to 20ag07
20ag07 said:

Quote:

In an hour I messaged back saying I am, let's talk. It is now almost 30 hours since and no reply. I sent her 2 messages and just now an email.
Dude.

Really.

In the course of 30 hours from initial contact, you sent 2 messages and an email? Then ran to the internet crying that you had been ghosted?

You have to chill the fk out.

This is not behavior that is attractive to any employer or recruiter.

Everybody hopes you find a job. But your timelines are wiiiiillllddd.

<never mind>
BadMoonRisin
10:39p, 4/11/24
In reply to infinity ag
infinity ag said:

zooguy96 said:

I am currently ghosted by 1 recruiter. She contacted me on LI for a job (I did not apply). We had a call on 1 Apr. Then she said all was good, will send my info to the company. I contact her on 3 Apr, she said not yet, end of week or early next week. I message her again 4/8 and 4/10 on LI and she has not replied. But she posts on LI even while ignoring me

F her. I will give it one last chance tomorrow morning. If nothing by end of tomorrow, I mark it as "Closed" and move on.
You're more likely to get a restraining order than a job offer if this is actually how you played this situation.

There's a difference between follow up and harassment. And you arent even asking for a follow up for a final round interview, but as a result from a phone screen to see if you can actually breathe the same air as another person that works that that company?

When these happen, evaluate your schedule, evaluate the opportunity, take the call or dont, its up to you. It depends on what other irons you have in the fire at the time.

I would say you actually used your time rather well. You had a short call, it was amicable, it didnt work out, move on. How many dozens of hours have you poured your heart into a job you loved, and got an auto reject 4 months later.

My point is, take these or leave them depending on how your search is going, but dont get upset when they dont work out.
infinity ag
11:23a, 4/15/24
In reply to BadMoonRisin
BadMoonRisin said:

infinity ag said:

zooguy96 said:

You're more likely to get a restraining order than a job offer if this is actually how you played this situation.

There's a difference between follow up and harassment. And you arent even asking for a follow up for a final round interview, but as a result from a phone screen to see if you can actually breathe the same air as another person that works that that company?

When these happen, evaluate your schedule, evaluate the opportunity, take the call or dont, its up to you. It depends on what other irons you have in the fire at the time.

I would say you actually used your time rather well. You had a short call, it was amicable, it didnt work out, move on. How many dozens of hours have you poured your heart into a job you loved, and got an auto reject 4 months later.

My point is, take these or leave them depending on how your search is going, but dont get upset when they dont work out.

Quick update, she responded to me on Friday saying there's a delay at their end and are meeting the hiring manager middle of this week. Now when I see so many delays, I count them out, I don't think it will actually happen. If a hiring manager wanted to actively hire, they would be very pro-active. Anyway, the job is low in my list of companies I am talking to so I will let them call me if they are still interested. I will not be following up again.

I disagree that this is harassment. I emailed her in polite and professional language once every 2-3 days. Even if I am annoyed at their ghosting. I just vent out a bit here but with the recruiters I am always professional and polite.

You say "it didn't work out". That is incorrect. She said that I check out and will send my info to the hiring manager. So I am within my rights to followup. If she said sorry, no can do, then I say bye and move on.

Also, the other lady from Seattle also got back to me today. She had messaged me on LI on 4/10 and disappeared. She says she was OOO on vacation. Okay. But she thanked me for following up and sent me a few questions to answer.

20ag07
6:15p, 4/15/24
Since you want to continually say that recruiters have "ghosted" you.

And you continually pepper them with follow-ups,"multiple times in 30 hours", "emailing every 2-3 days", stalking their LinkedIn activity as you are trying to gauge how quickly they are responding to you while posting other things, etc…ITS ALL NUTS

If you are in the mix, they didn't forget about you.

Your emotional need to have follow-up answers every single day is simply absurd.

You should assume every single recruiter prompt, screen, interview is a no until it gets aggressive that it's a yes.

FOLLOWING UP MORE ISN'T GOING TO CHANGE ANYTHING.

And candidates being litigious, running to the internet to vent, all of the etcs, is why you are not getting more information than you are. Which is what you call "ghosting".

It sucks to be out of a job.

But crazy isn't going to find you a new one in the corporate world.

Your best advice is to calm down, not harass people, give people an ACTUAL adequate time to respond, and stop running to the internet to "vent" everytime you feel like the aforementioned things didn't work out for you.
steve00
8:09p, 4/15/24
In reply to 20ag07
This is the truth. Just to add on to what 20ag07 said -

Nobody who wants to hire you is going to forget about you. They don't need reminders.

If someone isn't getting back to you as fast as you want, then they either aren't interested, or their timeline is not the same as your timeline (and their timeline is the only real timeline).

It can be a very frustrating process, but you just have to live with it. Trying to push things via follow-ups isn't going to change their timeline, and is very likely to hurt you because most people don't want to work with someone that does that.

It is like you are trying to micro-manage a situation that you aren't even in charge of.
Petrino1
9:02p, 4/15/24
In reply to 20ag07
20ag07 said:

Since you want to continually say that recruiters have "ghosted" you.

And you continually pepper them with follow-ups,"multiple times in 30 hours", "multiple times every 2-3 days", stalking their LinkedIn activity as you are trying to gauge how quickly they are responding to you while posting other things, etc…ITS ALL NUTS

If you are in the mix, they didn't forget about you.

Your emotional need to have follow-up answers every single day is simply absurd.

You should assume every single recruiter prompt, screen, interview is a no until it gets aggressive that it's a yes.

FOLLOWING UP MORE ISN'T GOING TO CHANGE ANYTHING.

And candidates being litigious, running to the internet to vent, all of the etcs, is why you are not getting more information than you are. Which is what you call "ghosting".

It sucks to be out of a job.

But crazy isn't going to find you a new one in the corporate world.

Your best advice is to calm down, not harass people, give people an ACTUAL adequate time to respond, and stop running to the internet to "vent" everytime you feel like the aforementioned things didn't work out for you.
No kidding, its like a self fulling prophecy with the OP. Hes waiting for them to ghost so he can say "see I told you so, those damn recruiters." No doubt the constant follow-ups are turning off potential employers.
infinity ag
5:20p, 4/17/24
I disagree.

Maybe in your field, the hiring cycles are long. In mine, things move quickly. If a company is interested, then they get back to you in about 3-4 days max. Anything beyond that, there may be an issue. Either they are too lazy to send a reject email or there is a genuine delay in figuring out next steps.

If I spend my time talking to the company in a professional manner, I expect the same behavior back. I expect them to at a minimum tell me if there is a delay after a reasonable amount of time (max 1 week). If they don't, then I move them aside into my "good bye" list. If it is a company I like and somewhat interested in, I like to give them a few more chances to give me the status on my candidature, so I message the recruiter a few times with a few days in between. A couple of companies have not gotten back to me after the first interview, I just did not bother because I was not interested in them either.

There is no "harassment" going on. Some of you watch too many crime shows. All my messages are 100% polite and respectful.

As of today, I am talking to 9 companies at the same time. A couple, I am not interested in. So things are moving. Offers not coming in yet are not because I sent a message too many. It is just that the market is unbalanced right now with too many candidates and higher competition. There are so many factors like location, salary expectations, experience fit etc etc.
I Am A Critic
6:57p, 4/17/24
In reply to infinity ag
infinity ag said:

As of today, I am talking to 9 companies at the same time. A couple, I am not interested in.
Maybe recruiters would have more time to get back to you if they weren't busy engaging with candidates who have no interest in the jobs they're hiring for. Respect and consideration go both ways and clearly you have none.
Username checks out.
Rudyjax
7:11p, 4/17/24
I don't know how many times in my 20+ years of recruiting candidates lost out because they were a pain in the ass.

People want to hire people who make their job easier.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 2 of 3
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings