Job Network
Sponsored by

Creating the Resume that Gets the Call

1,963 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 25 days ago by JamesPShelley
infinity ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It seems to me that the standards around resume-building are changing a lot. I came up with a resume format about 10 years ago and have been updating that as the years went by. I felt that it was good at that time but maybe it is not as good today in 2024. With AI and other tools, there may be a better way to do this.

Someone told me about Teal. URL: https://www.tealhq.com/

I am exploring this right now. I uploaded my current resume in it and it parses and gives an analysis on how to make it better with a score. Has anyone used this? Has your success rate improved? The resume it generates does look better formatted than my format. It does a lot for free and then there is a paid tier.

I saw another site https://resumeworded.com/ and while it does some basic stuff for free, it is a paid subscription.

Thoughts? Ideas?
ptothemo
AG
This is a situation that I have been struggling with since the start of my job search a couple of months ago. I have used Teal and Resume Worded (paid) and can't say that I feel 100% about either of them.

I used Teal less comparatively, but I do find it to be helpful in applying standard formatting across the board. I can't count how many times I have found that one space and or one font size that doesn't match when working on my resume "manually". I haven't been very impressed with how it parses content and reconstructs it.

I did find Resume Worded to be helpful, though not earth-shattering. It does have some directed analysis and offers examples of how to change the things that could be better, which was/is helpful to me. What is really interesting to me is that it scored the resume that I started my search with - one that I created on my own - as ~85%. Later, I used Top Resume and worked with one of their writers to rework my resume. Resume Worded now scores that one as ~65%, but the traction that I have gotten with the newer resume is better than the old one. That could be based on a whole host of situational variables and not just the resume, but I do find it anecdotally interesting.

I honestly don't know what to believe about the resume thing at this point. I likely spend too much time in the LinkedIn echo chamber, but the amount of fear and yelling about ATS and how one's resume can be kicked out for the smallest thing, the amount of resume services - both AI and human - that are out there, and the number of career coaches with the latest, greatest tip on how to get through to interviews is all a bit nauseating at this point. That's all wrapped up in a longer thought that would potentially derail the thread, so I'll leave it there.
78bc3
AG
Saw your posts. A lot of confusion out there related to resumes.
I work for the Texas A&M Career Center and specialize working with Former Students.
The resources and strategies we use were developed during Houston A&M Club/Reveille Club activities helping Former Students working through recessions and industry resets.
If folks are interested, we could host a Discussion/Webinar on zoom.
Please let me know if you would be interested in investing 60-90 minutes on the subject (+ Networking).
Would the preference be a Monday or a Thursday evening?
Paul Pausky
Paul Pausky BC3 '78
LitreBoy
AG
I used Gemini (Google's AI).
Basically took section by section and asked it to revamp as mine was super detailed. You can give it instructions of industry or job role, etc.

I am pretty happy with the version I have now. I went back and cleaned up or reworded a few things, but give it a shot.
LitreBoy
AG
Also, depending on the length of your career and detail, you may just be able to copy/paste the whole thing.
infinity ag
LitreBoy said:

I used Gemini (Google's AI).
Basically took section by section and asked it to revamp as mine was super detailed. You can give it instructions of industry or job role, etc.

I am pretty happy with the version I have now. I went back and cleaned up or reworded a few things, but give it a shot.

haha I am actually doing the same right now but with ChatGPT!

As I spend more time with my resume, I am amazed how boring it actually is. Maybe that is why I am not getting much traction. It even gives me different versions I could use by adding in sample metrics like "increased revenue by 20%" which I then use as a starter point.

The other thing I noticed is that in my interviews, they only care about my last 2 jobs going back about 5 years. They never ask me anything about earlier jobs.

I use both ChatGPT and Gemini/Bard. I recommend that you use ChatGPT as it is superior to Gemini. Gemini can be used to for some additional ideas.
infinity ag
78bc3 said:

Saw your posts. A lot of confusion out there related to resumes.
I work for the Texas A&M Career Center and specialize working with Former Students.
The resources and strategies we use were developed during Houston A&M Club/Reveille Club activities helping Former Students working through recessions and industry resets.
If folks are interested, we could host a Discussion/Webinar on zoom.
Please let me know if you would be interested in investing 60-90 minutes on the subject (+ Networking).
Would the preference be a Monday or a Thursday evening?
Paul Pausky

Hi Paul,
I just looked you up . I see you joined A&M's Career Center in 2000, that was 2 years after I left College Stn. I was at A&M in the mid to late 90s and the career center was really great. We had to submit our resumes on paid floppy disks (I still have mine!) and they used that to enter it in the systems. Then we log in and pick companies and they select/reject students for interview. Then we go to Koldus and talk to them. I used Koldus over multiple semesters until I got a job and I am eternally thankful to A&M for that.

However, once I left A&M, there is nothing much for Former Students. I wish A&M had a proper well maintained portal for Aggies to hire Aggies. This can also include discussions and career mentoring by volunteers. If I am an Aggie who is hiring, I should be able to look at Ags first. If I have a question on how to break into a certain field, I should be able to ask on the forum and Ag expert who are volunteers reply and help out. Like this group here but a bit more focused and organized and result-oriented. Maybe you can take these suggestions back. I think most schools do a very bad job keeping former students involved. All the do is hold reunions and constantly badger them for money.

Anyway, I am not in College Station so if the meeting is Zoom, I would love to join. Any day is fine for me.

I am not aware of any webinars that A&M does, if there are how do I sign up or find them?
Hoyt Ag
AG
I have used Teal recently, I like it. I am looking at a few people to help me rewrite it I found on LinkedIn, but I have done this 3 times already and it wasnt much help. However, I am really starting to think it is 99.9% about who you know and not your resume. I know my internal recruiters are worthless. If a candidate doesnt meet 100% of the job responsibilities, you are cut out. I imagine it is the same at a lot of places and they are missing out on great talent.

For instance, there is a Director of Operations position at a nearby facility vacant. I know the departing Director well, we fly fish each Sunday after church. He tells me he is being promoted and moving for his last hoorah before retirement. He tells me to apply so I tailor my resume, write a very specific cover letter and apply for the job. Nothing from the recruiter. Keep in mind, we are in NW CO, in a remote area. There are probably less than 10,000 people that live within 100 miles of this facility, so the pool of local candidates that are qualified is minimal.

I tell my friend I hear nothing so he says to send my stuff to him and he will get me a shot with the HM. Within 2 days, I have an interview next week with them. My friend asked HR why they didnt call and they had no answer. I am performing this role now, at a different facility, as a DO. I am fully capable of the role, but somehow I was missed by an HR person or the ATS. Makes zero sense. The system is broken in so many ways. Best of luck infinity ag and others, I know it is tough out there.
sek92
AG
Yes this would be awesome. Any evening is good
infinity ag
Hoyt Ag said:

I have used Teal recently, I like it. I am looking at a few people to help me rewrite it I found on LinkedIn, but I have done this 3 times already and it wasnt much help. However, I am really starting to think it is 99.9% about who you know and not your resume. I know my internal recruiters are worthless. If a candidate doesnt meet 100% of the job responsibilities, you are cut out. I imagine it is the same at a lot of places and they are missing out on great talent.

For instance, there is a Director of Operations position at a nearby facility vacant. I know the departing Director well, we fly fish each Sunday after church. He tells me he is being promoted and moving for his last hoorah before retirement. He tells me to apply so I tailor my resume, write a very specific cover letter and apply for the job. Nothing from the recruiter. Keep in mind, we are in NW CO, in a remote area. There are probably less than 10,000 people that live within 100 miles of this facility, so the pool of local candidates that are qualified is minimal.

I tell my friend I hear nothing so he says to send my stuff to him and he will get me a shot with the HM. Within 2 days, I have an interview next week with them. My friend asked HR why they didnt call and they had no answer. I am performing this role now, at a different facility, as a DO. I am fully capable of the role, but somehow I was missed by an HR person or the ATS. Makes zero sense. The system is broken in so many ways. Best of luck infinity ag and others, I know it is tough out there.

One of my favorite stories is from 1998. I was in College Stn, completed my degree, but looking for a job. I got a call to a company in Boston called Quickturn Design Systems. I reached Logan airport and get into a cab the company had sent for me that also had other occupants. Next to me was a 60 year old man. He asked about me and I said I just completed my Masters in Computer Engg and was looking for a job and was there for an interview. He said he was a VP at GTE (the telecom company) and gave me his card, and asked me to email him. So I completed my interview, got him and emailed him. I did not get a reply but 2 days later HR from GTE called me. They flew me in, I took a cab to Taunton, MA and before I could get back to College Station, I had an offer on my phone voice messages!! I ended up not taking it because the salary was 48k and I had no idea I could negotiate and I just went with a company that was offering 52k (I did no negotiation there either).

So if you know people who are in high places, it can help. I am trying for a tech job at Walmart. I have an A&M classmate who is VP there. I haven't been in touch for 25 years but we are connected on Linkedin so if the call I have fails, I might send him a message asking for help.

However, resume does help. Not everyone has high level contacts. I got many calls just from my resume. I am in the midwest, not known for tech so I don't have many contacts, which is why I am having a hard time. I don't think I ever got a job through contacts, but maybe that is why my career isn't growing beyond a point.

I get rejected at Walmart Tech for jobs I can easily do and are at my level. Why? I think the HR person did not even bother to read it. She probably found the first 10 resumes that matched and rejected the rest. Steve Jobs or Bill Gates may be the 11th applicant and they would get rejected. So being among the first to apply is very important in this market with 100+ applicants per job.

I spent Thu and Fri working on my resume through Teal. It opened my eyes. I like their format and what I liked was their AI feature which converts your bullet points into impact-based points with sample metrics. Earlier I had items like "Got alignment with Senior Management to approve roadmaps". I now realize that is boring and I either junk the line or find something else that shows how I am able to move the needle by 'x'%.

I debuted the new resume today with a few companies. Let's see if it makes an impact. Will keep yall informed!
78bc3
AG
infinity ag said:

However, once I left A&M, there is nothing much for Former Students. I wish A&M had a proper well maintained portal for Aggies to hire Aggies. This can also include discussions and career mentoring by volunteers. If I am an Aggie who is hiring, I should be able to look at Ags first. If I have a question on how to break into a certain field, I should be able to ask on the forum and Ag expert who are volunteers reply and help out. Like this group here but a bit more focused and organized and result-oriented. Maybe you can take these suggestions back. I think most schools do a very bad job keeping former students involved. All the do is hold reunions and constantly badger them for money.

Anyway, I am not in College Station so if the meeting is Zoom, I would love to join. Any day is fine for me.

I am not aware of any webinars that A&M does, if there are how do I sign up or find them?

Important perspective and suggestions. We have many elements in place. When I arrived in 2000, we had a monthly job board mailer to specifically connect Former Students from both the Employer and Seeker sides. Today we share technology using the HireAggies Job board with students. During peak activity we will host over 6,000 postings specifically seeking Students and Former Students. Most weeks we will receive at least one request from new Employer contacts to post needs on the platform. (Our challenge with employers and seekers is viewer volume as we compete with big name Job boards) The tradeoff is our access to incredible networking resources aligned with databases offering over 36 Million postings globally.
Our focus from day one was helping Aggies network more effectively to find and compete for opportunities in the Hidden Job Market. Our step-by-step how -tos, detailed in our Former Student Guide, became much more usable when The Association of Former Students released their Find an Aggie database. During our webinars and weekly job club zooms we show how to use LinkedIn and CareerShift to identify Industry/Company contacts and their direct contact information to request informational interviews. These tools provide functionality to identify Former Students if that is your preference. We routinely advertise those events and resources on this forum.
The Former Student Career Services Team hosts webinars that introduce resources designed to help Aggies regardless of the stage in their careers. Learn about resources, strategies, and tactics to help you get 'plugged in' with the Aggie Network and beyond to 'move up' or 'move on" to achieve your career goals.
First Mondays at Noon CDT tx.ag/FirstMonday
Third Wednesday at Noon CDT tx.ag/ThirdWednesday
Thursday 8:30am Job Club help sessions tx.ag/AggieJobClub
For additional information please contact Former Student Career Services at fscshelp@tamu.edu
A Short video overview of career and networking resources to help Former Student.
Paul Pausky BC3 '78
MookieBlaylock
AG
AI can never replace the personal touch of a confidence man
JamesPShelley
MookieBlaylock said:

AI can never replace the personal touch of a confidence man
I accept the compliment, thank you.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.