Job Network
Sponsored by

Anyone working at FEMA?

1,049 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 27 days ago by agnerd
GoodAg20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Applied to a role at FEMA (core position) in Denton and got referred to the hiring manager. Was wondering if anyone had insight into the office culture, telework, deployment, etc. the role was for a Civil Engineer. Curious to get some insight, thanks!
matureag
AG
It is federal employment meaning competitive salary, good benefits, usually great coworkers and.......golden handcuffs that make it somewhat difficult after a period of time to quit or pursue other career passions or opportunities. Career advancement often means mobility (voluntary for the most part) with top jobs in DC. I had a 25 year fed career (including 3 yr military) and sometimes wonder what might have been during those years. A subsequent (second career) in higher ed was more fulfilling with respect to my self--image and interests.
htxag09
AG
matureag said:

It is federal employment meaning competitive salary, good benefits, usually great coworkers and.......golden handcuffs that make it somewhat difficult after a period of time to quit or pursue other career passions or opportunities. Career advancement often means mobility (voluntary for the most part) with top jobs in DC. I had a 25 year fed career (including 3 yr military) and sometimes wonder what might have been during those years. A subsequent (second career) in higher ed was more fulfilling with respect to my self--image and interests.
That this was sarcasm when I started reading the post....
Ag_0112358132134
Is anyone ever working at FEMA?
agnerd
AG
Civil engineer at FEMA Denton means there's a good chance you will be working with flood risk. How much did you like your hydrology and hydraulics classes at A&M? I don't know that those people travel or deploy as much as most FEMA employees since most of their work is computer-based. They do some very meaningful work, and very interesting, but I don't know that it pays really well. But you're in Denton so you don't need much.

I'd recommend it if you see yourself raising a family and not wanting to miss out on family time.
Pursue consulting opportunities if you want to work a lot and make a lot.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.