Job Network
Sponsored by

Should you give hiring manager email to job seeker?

1,055 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by Joseph in Cypress
AJ02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Old coworker reached out to me on behalf of her friend. Her friend is applying for a role in the company I work for (very large, worldwide company in O&G) and asked if I could find out who the hiring manager is and share their email address.

I have no problem finding the hiring manager's name and sharing that, but sharing his/her email address? I don't know if that's something I should do. Seems wrong to share someone's email without their permission (I don't know the hiring manager), and would it bother the hiring manager to get a direct email from an unknown candidate out of the blue like that? I know I get tons of emails from salespeople who "guess" my workemail address (I'm in sourcing) and I don't ever even read them. Straight to the trash.
500,000ags
AG
I wouldn't. I'd offer to give the hiring manager the applicant's resume and email.
Petrino1
AJ02 said:

Old coworker reached out to me on behalf of her friend. Her friend is applying for a role in the company I work for (very large, worldwide company in O&G) and asked if I could find out who the hiring manager is and share their email address.

I have no problem finding the hiring manager's name and sharing that, but sharing his/her email address? I don't know if that's something I should do. Seems wrong to share someone's email without their permission (I don't know the hiring manager), and would it bother the hiring manager to get a direct email from an unknown candidate out of the blue like that? I know I get tons of emails from salespeople who "guess" my workemail address (I'm in sourcing) and I don't ever even read them. Straight to the trash.

I wouldn't do it. Especially for a "friend of a friend" who I've never met.

What I would do is pass along the resume to the hiring manager and just say you received the resume from an old colleague but haven't worked with this person, just wanted to forward the resume along in case there's any interest.
AJ02
AG
Kinda what I was thinking as well, but didn't want to seem overly paranoid if this is a normal thing.
Naveronski
AG
Petrino1 said:

AJ02 said:

What I would do is pass along the resume to the hiring manager and just say you received the resume from an old colleague but haven't worked with this person, just wanted to forward the resume along in case there's any interest.
This is what I've done before, too.
OnlyForNow
AG
I probably wouldn't do it either but if you give the name and the other party gives them your email, typically company wide email/name associations are the same so figuring out their email would be easy.

Just pass along the resume.
cjo03
AG
Petrino1 said:

AJ02 said:

got the random "friend of a friend" almost weekly when I was at Nike... I'd politely let them know I don't do cold introductions but if they are confident their friend is a strong candidate for the role, I'd be happy to pass the resume along directly.

most of the time folks make the recommendation without the effort of evaluating whether the person is a fit.
Joseph in Cypress
AG
It's an email address. At the very least tell the friend the name of the hiring manger if you know. Either way you are not recommending this person for anything so no skin off your nose. If you are friends then tell the hiring manager you're doing a friend a favor and give them the resume.

My thought is help a person out. If they are hired and an absolute disaster it's not on you.

Joseph George '92
Joseph in Cypress
AG
I would also say by hand delivering or emailing the resume you would have more of a link to the person than an email that arrives in the inbox out of the blue from someone with no mention of your name.
Joseph George '92
AJ02
AG
Joseph in Cypress said:

It's an email address. At the very least tell the friend the name of the hiring manger if you know. Either way you are not recommending this person for anything so no skin off your nose. If you are friends then tell the hiring manager you're doing a friend a favor and give them the resume.

My thought is help a person out. If they are hired and an absolute disaster it's not on you.

Yeah, I don't know the hiring manager at all. Completely different division within the company that I don't interact with, in a completely different building on the other side of town.

I just told my friend to have her friend connect with me on LinkedIn, and I'd get her info from her and submit it through our Workday referral program. I did tell her the hiring manger's name, but not her email. In case she wanted to try to connect on LinkedIn.
Joseph in Cypress
AG
You gave them the name and the email should be easy from that point. Everyone is different and I'm not saying right or wrong. I have always and will always give out a work email with no hesitation. Ok, maybe I am judging a bit….
BTHO cougar high!
Joseph George '92
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.