Job Network
Sponsored by

LinkedIn Open to Work Question

2,416 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 15 hrs ago by Chase
MsC2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy,

If you knew your company was looking at the possibility of replacing you (long story, it's a co employment situation) and your boss said they were shocked you are still here and you should be looking for a job and you changed your LinkedIn to have the Open to Work Banner and posted you were open for a new job, is that the same thing as resigning?

They are back tracking and told me yesterday that by posting that we could see that as your resignation.

I haven't been fired, or terminated. I haven't resigned.

I am looking hard for another job, but I haven't done anything to warrant being fired so I was curious on your take.

It's a messy situation and I want out, but I can't just walk away.

Thanks y'all.
SJEAg
AG
Wow, that's messed up.
MsC2012
AG
It truly is a wild situation.

I don't understand why they haven't fired me if they dislike me so much, especially in Texas.
texAZtea
AG
That's not the same as resigning. I would start documenting stuff they're saying just in case because that doesn't sound like a stable situation.

A resignation letter on their desk saying you're resigning is resigning. Being "Open to work" on LinkedIn is not resigning.
MsC2012
AG
Thank you!

But Texas being a right to work state probably doesn't help me?
texAZtea
AG
I mean, they could fire you if they wanted to. Do you have a contract? But putting something up on social media saying you're open to other opportunities, especially if you don't disparage the company, sounds weak as far as a reason to fire you. Without more details, it kinda sounds like they are trying to get you to quit.

An old man once told me "You can quit and put them in a bind, or you can stay and keep them in a bind."
LoneStarAg17
AG
Someone with better knowledge here speak up, but I'm pretty sure the difference between you quitting and being fired will impact your ability to get unemployment benefits. Don't resign, make them fire you if it comes down to it.
aggiepaintrain
AG
change your LI back

do not quit until you have a job
Cave Johnson, CEO
AG
I believe you can set it up so recruiters can see you're open to work but it's not displayed to everyone. Maybe do that.
AJ02
AG
I'm not looking for a job, but I'm always marked "open to work". I just have it set where I don't have that banner on my picture and I think it blocks recruiters at my current company from seeing that it's open to work. I think.
HeightsAg
LoneStarAg17 said:

Someone with better knowledge here speak up, but I'm pretty sure the difference between you quitting and being fired will impact your ability to get unemployment benefits. Don't resign, make them fire you if it comes down to it.

While it is true that you won't be eligible for unemployment if you quit, keep in mind that if you get fired - hiring companies will know that as it is one of the few pieces of information that they are legally allow to verify. Depending on your industry, the "involuntary termination" label can be like the scarlet letter so need to balance the need for money vs. the ability to quickly find another job.
JamesPShelley
EVERYONE, whether on LinkedIn or another platform they reveal it or not, is open to work.

Attractive job offer comes along... only the dummy will decline. However, if I see my employee advertising the fact... I'm already planning to terminate them, and they won't be collecting unemployment benefits.
gigemags-99
AG
HeightsAg said:

LoneStarAg17 said:

While it is true that you won't be eligible for unemployment if you quit, keep in mind that if you get fired - hiring companies will know that as it is one of the few pieces of information that they are legally allow to verify. Depending on your industry, the "involuntary termination" label can be like the scarlet letter so need to balance the need for money vs. the ability to quickly find another job.

I'm not sure other employers can see that information. I've been in recruiting for a couple of decades and anywhere I've worked only verified work titles and dates of employment. Most don't do true references unless they are on the side.
Petrino1
gigemags-99 said:

HeightsAg said:

LoneStarAg17 said:

I'm not sure other employers can see that information. I've been in recruiting for a couple of decades and anywhere I've worked only verified work titles and dates of employment. Most don't do true references unless they are on the side.
Employment verifications can verify eligibility for rehire. If you were fired then obviously you wont be eligible for rehire.
gigemags-99
AG
Petrino1 said:

gigemags-99 said:

HeightsAg said:

LoneStarAg17 said:

Employment verifications can verify eligibility for rehire. If you were fired then obviously you wont be eligible for rehire.

Unaware of a single fortune 500 company who would
want to deal with the legal headaches of providing that information and the ramifications it could bring. They could give a **** if a fired employee wants to go work somewhere else. None of them use anything other than an automated system that verifies title and dates of employment.
AggieArchitect04
AG
JamesPShelley said:

EVERYONE, whether on LinkedIn or another platform they reveal it or not, is open to work.

Attractive job offer comes along... only the dummy will decline. However, if I see my employee advertising the fact... I'm already planning to terminate them, and they won't be collecting unemployment benefits.

If you fire them, even with cause, they can absolutely collect unemployment. And as the employer you pay for part of that.

ETA: at least in Texas
Chipotlemonger
AG
Edit to add: I'm referring to just the last statement that was made.

This comment is a little short sided and naive, in my opinion.

If they're a good employee and you saw that they were telling others that they were open for work, it would be a better approach to figure out why they want to leave rather than go scorched earth.

Additionally, as was mentioned, I think some of this "they won't be receiving unemployment" is just a paper Tiger statement. If I understand unemployment correctly, the enployer's spite has no bearing on benefits (never been in that spot thankfully)
JamesPShelley
Chipotlemonger said:

If they're a good employee and you saw that they were telling others that they were open for work, it would be a better approach to figure out why they want to leave rather than go scorched earth.

Additionally, as was mentioned, I think some of this "they won't be receiving unemployment" is just a paper Tiger statement. If I understand unemployment correctly, the enployer's spite has no bearing on benefits (never been in that spot thankfully)
When I did... I kept copious records on underperforming, and terminated, employees. Can't recall how many times I showed up at hearings armed with justifications for termination. Never, ever, lost one. No employee I fired received unemployment benefits. No spitee. Performance issues.

But that was Washington and Californiia.
Astroag
AG
You can let people know you are open to work without having that banner on your picture for everyone to see…and in most cases li will hide it from your current employers hr team

If ya ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin!!!
nai06
AG
Cave Johnson, CEO said:

I believe you can set it up so recruiters can see you're open to work but it's not displayed to everyone. Maybe do that.
This is what you should do.
Cromagnum
AG
JamesPShelley said:

You sound like someone nobody should want to work for.
infinity ag
MsC2012 said:

Thank you!

But Texas being a right to work state probably doesn't help me?

What does right to work mean? is it the opposite of "at-will"?
infinity ag
JamesPShelley said:

Chipotlemonger said:

When I did... I kept copious records on underperforming, and terminated, employees. Can't recall how many times I showed up at hearings armed with justifications for termination. Never, ever, lost one. No employee I fired received unemployment benefits. No spitee. Performance issues.

But that was Washington and Californiia.

All of this can be manipulated.
I was at a company 7 years ago which got bought by another company. All the management left. I was new at the company just 4 months. Then this company got bought again by another company a month later. The next 10 months I had 4 different managers as everyone began to leave. Manager No 3 was a beyotch who put me on a PIP after manipulating the scores on my evaluation. It was some weighted average stuff so she adjusted them to fall below some threshold. Then she left! I got moved to another manager who had a crush on manager 3 and would frequently smell her hair when he could. Anyway, I had to stick around as I had to take Dec off for a family event. When I got back, manager No 4 fired me. I knew it was coming and I had been interviewing a lot and the following week I was going to Seattle to talk to Amazon (which did not work out). But I did apply for unemployment and I got paid for it. How did that happen?
infinity ag
JamesPShelley said:

I was that dummy last year.
I was a Sr Manager at a company last year. I got a call for a VP job at a startup. I ignored it as I loved my job/company. Then I got laid off by the company I loved in a 10% cut. Taught me a lot - got some valuable lessons. Never again.

From now on when I join my next company, I will always be open to work.
John Armfield
Petrino1 said:

gigemags-99 said:

HeightsAg said:

LoneStarAg17 said:

this is wrong all a company can do is verify time of employment not that you are were fired or layoffed or whatever.
bmks270
AG
Some true sharks in this thread.

Chase
AG
John Armfield said:

Petrino1 said:

gigemags-99 said:

HeightsAg said:

LoneStarAg17 said:

this is wrong all a company can do is verify time of employment not that you are were fired or layoffed or whatever.

This is not true in Texas. While many employers will say, if anything, if and when someone was employed with them, that isn't because of a law preventing it...it's to avoid defamation claims.

There is nothing in Texas I am aware of that prohibits an employer from giving a reference that includes the means of separation, job performance and even disciplinary issues of a former employee AS LONG AS WHAT THEY PROVIDE IS TRUTHFUL.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.