Drawing/animation software

1,128 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 18 days ago by rynning
Garrelli 5000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any suggestions for software to make this style of art? I don't need motion/animation.

The pic below is a Shag (Josh Agle) print. He sometimes starts begins with hand painted, but I know he typically does a pencil sketch on paper for the rough idea, then uses software to make the actual images.

Take the trash out staff.
fig96
AG
Adobe Illustrator is the professional standard, cheaper alternative would be Affinity Designer. You could also try Figma for free, it's primarily for UI/screen design but some people use it for illustration. On the iPad there's Procreate and a few other great apps.

Your result will be driven by how well you can draw no matter what app you're using, however.
Garrelli 5000
AG

Quote:

Your result will be driven by how well you can draw no matter what app you're using, however.
Thank you for s/w info.

I have no doubt that my drawing skills will translate perfectly to my mac or ipad. It's very easy to port something that is at or near zero from one location to another.
UmustBKidding
My wife has occasional need for a vector drawing package. Even with the educational discount on illustrator she decided it was to much. She has been successful with inkscape, which is free, multi-platform but also likely to ever work on IOS since it depends on many GPL software packages which have no support in that ecosystem.
fig96
AG
Haha, I think you're safe then

And as mentioned Inkscape is another one, there's a few other smaller packages that would do the job as well (Clip Studio is another I know of but haven't used). For pretty straightforward work like this they all do pretty much the same thing, you just have to really learn how the pen tool works.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Thanks again I appreciate the advice.

I'll probably start with something in the iPad since I have one of the Logitech pencil gizmos. Not looking for a second career, just a potential creative outlet for fun.

aezmvp
Garrelli 5000 said:

Thanks again I appreciate the advice.

I'll probably start with something in the iPad since I have one of the Logitech pencil gizmos. Not looking for a second career, just a potential creative outlet for fun.

Start with Procreate on the iPad. My wife uses it occasionally for her business. Pretty easy to learn, lots of YouTube video tutorials.
GoAgs92
AG
My daughter uses clip studio paint for digital stuff
Garrelli 5000
AG
Resurfacing this...

The artist Shag I referenced in the OP released a video where he walks through his process to create his prints. Half the video is the intricacies of the silk-screening process. At the end he walks thru the final cutting and signing of the prints.

He does hand sketchs, sends that to his computer, then uses Adobe Illustrator from that point. He also noted the AI pen tool in that program and that he's making it look easy but that it takes a ton of time to learn it and get each picture correct.

Fun video if you're interested. FWIW I put a couple of apps on my iPad but haven't done anything yet to try and learn how to use it.

rynning
AG
Related… Suppose I have a 1,920 x 1,080 image template that I want to use to guide simple animations tied to a two minute soundtrack. What would be a choice to do that?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.