Sony Hits Pause on PSVR2 Production as Unsold Inventory Piles Up

1,284 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 28 days ago by TheNotoriousP.I.P.
C@LAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-03-18/sony-hits-pause-on-psvr2-production-as-unsold-inventory-piles-up

Sony Group Corp. has paused production of its PSVR2 headset until it clears a backlog of unsold units, according to people familiar with its plans, adding to doubts about the appeal of virtual reality gadgets.

Sales of the $550 wearable accessory to the PlayStation 5 have slowed progressively since its launch and stocks of the device are building up, according to the people, who asked not to be named as the information is not public. Sony has produced well over 2 million units of the product launched in February of last year, the people said.
tk for tu juan
double aught
AG
Virtual Reality: The next big thing for 35 years!
Pman17
AG
It's like guitar hero, it's cool and then you move on.
jr15aggie
AG
IMO it's extremely difficult to sell a $500 VR system that only works with a specific console. Until they make it 100% compatible with PC, I don't see them making any progress with the hardware.

I'm also of the opinion that VR needs to be as accessible as possible and tethering your self to a living room console is the opposite of that. The Quest still has the right idea IMO... a powerful stand-alone headset that you can use all over the house or use on the go.

TriumphForks
AG
Way too expensive for a very limited use case
Jason Ag
AG
This generations Super Scope 6?
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
The pricing on this was stupid and releasing it less than a decade after the first already highly priced VR headset they put out was also stupid. How are prospective buyers not supposed to look at the half@ss effort they put into curating an expansive library of games for their first one and think that $500 is an outrageous ask.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.