75mbs fiber vs 500mbs cable

809 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 27 days ago by Coin
Coin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is probably the most obvious question ever, but I just want to be sure, so please forgive my ignorance.

I currently have Spectrum 500mbs internet. When it works it's great; however, it seems to periodically drop and lag. It also has the peak time slow down.

Looking in my area AT&T and Earthlink offer 75mbs fiber connections. Earthlink guy tried to tell me his 75mbs fiber service was faster and more reliable than 500mbs cable internet.

My internet usage is typical: work from home, streaming, some gaming, etc. But only up to 3 devices at a time.

Is there some world where 75mbs fiber would be a better option?

txam92
AG
Spectrum is "asynchronous". You get 500Mb downlink (i.e from the internet to your house), but only 20-25Mb uplink (your house to the internet).

AT&T Fiber is "synchronous". You get the same speed downlink as uplink. MAKE sure it's AT&T fiber. The slowest AT&T Fiber I know of is 500Mb downlink and 500Mb uplink so if you see something from AT&T that's 75 or 50Mb, then it's usually asynchronous, but it's 75Mb downlink and only something in the neighborhood of 8Mb uplink.

If you do a lot of video conferencing with sharing as well as wanting to access your content at home, anywhere, then AT&T Fiber is a better option.

I'm currently on Spectrum and I see I have some challenges doing large video calls due to the smaller uplink. As soon as they have the AT&T fiber ready in my neighborhood I will be switching.
akaggie05
AG
75 Mbps is not a fiber speed offered by AT&T. Their fiber tiers are 300, 500, 1000, 2000, and 5000 Mbps. If they are pitching 75 in your area, it is VDSL2 over twisted pair (copper) phone lines with a much slower upload speed. Their marketing is tricky and may also refer to this as "fiber to the node."

Edit: The higher 2Gbps and 5Gbps fiber tiers are not available in all areas where they have fiber. The original GPON technology only goes up to 1Gbps, while newer areas are getting XGS-PON which is essentially a 10Gbps symmetric pipe that is de-rated to match the speed you order. They do over-provision a bit. I have the 300 Mbps service and consistently test ~370Mbps up and down.
Coin
akaggie05 said:

75 Mbps is not a fiber speed offered by AT&T. Their fiber tiers are 300, 500, 1000, 2000, and 5000 Mbps. If they are pitching 75 in your area, it is VDSL2 over twisted pair (copper) phone lines with a much slower upload speed. Their marketing is tricky and may also refer to this as "fiber to the node."

Thank you! I thought it sounded odd. I know I don't want DSL.
I guess I'll deal with Spectrum until we actually get fiber in the area.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.