I need a new laptop.

921 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 27 days ago by FatZilla
SteveA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I need to replace an aging Surface pro, and while I like the form factor, I may want something a bit more powerful this time. I will probably do some side work software development on it, but I really want something i can run IRacing on as well. I don't need it to run the lifelike, latest games, but want to be able to fire up some races with decent resolution and performance. I'm also cheap and don't really want to spend a **** ton of money. Any suggestions?
FatZilla
AG
Screen size you prefer? 15-17" likely if gaming.
Real Budget?
Weight a concern or always going to be on a desk and not travel much?
Long battery life needed or always leaving it plugged in? (gaming and battery life dont mix well lol)

IRacing system requirements from their site:
https://www.iracing.com/membership/system-requirements/
Quote:

PC Computers
Operating System
Supported: Windows 10 64-Bit, Windows 11 64-Bit

Recommended: Windows 10 64-Bit

Not Supported: Virtual Machines

Processor (CPU)
Minimum: 4 Cores

Some Examples (but not limited to): AMD FX-6300, Intel Core i5-4430, Intel Core i5-2320, AMD Ryzen 3 1200

Recommended: 6 Cores

Some Examples (but not limited to): Intel Core i7-8700K @3.70 GHz, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X or AMD Ryzen 5 3600 or better

High End: 8+ Cores

Some Examples (but not limited to): Intel Core 9-10980XE @ 3.0GHz, Intel i9-9900KS @ 4.00 GHz, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X or AMD Ryzen 3950X

Memory (RAM)
Minimum: 16GB

Recommended: 16GB

High End: 32+GB

Graphics (GPU)
A gaming graphics card with dedicated memory (vRAM) is required.

Minimum: 4GB Dedicated vRAM

Some Examples (but not limited to): Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 or AMD Radeon 570 or better

Recommended: 6GB Dedicated vRAM

Some Examples (but not limited to): GeForce GTX 1060 with 6GB or AMD RX 580 or better

High End: 8+GB Dedicated vRAM

Some Examples (but not limited to): Nvidia 2080 TI or AMD Radeon VII or better

Storage (Available HDD Space)
Minimum: 25GB

Recommended: 100GB (For all cars and tracks)

SteveA
AG
I'd like to run to an external monitor, so screen size not super significant. Would be plugged while playing.
FatZilla
AG
Do you plan on traveling with it and need the laptop form factor or would a desktop work for your needs? You will be able to get much better specs for less money on a desktop.
SteveA
AG
I want to be able to tote around, yeah. I don't think I need outstanding specs. Really just want to run Iracing at an OK pace. Would be nice to have some cores to throw at multithreaded process as well.
FatZilla
AG
Here is some easy deals that will perform what you want. First is 1440p, little nicer screen, has m.2 expandable storage if you need more room. Second is 1080p but a slightly better cpu, also has expandable m.2 storage if needed. If you ever want to use the built in screen, the 1440p is a better deal imo. This price point is basically where you will be for getting a dedicated GPU in a laptop.

https://slickdeals.net/f/17390490-lenovo-legion-5-laptop-ryzen-7-7735hs-15-6-1440p-rtx-4060-16gb-ram-512gb-ssd-850-free-shipping

https://slickdeals.net/f/17400648-dell-g15-15-6-fhd-165hz-ryzen-7-7840hs-rtx-4060-16gb-ddr5-512gb-ssd-764-99

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.