Best VR system?

1,085 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 23 days ago by TxAg82
2ndChanceAg96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am looking to get a gaming system just to pass time and keep my rear home. I was thinking maybe VR but unsure how good they are or should I just go with a PlayStation whatever the latest number is.
Just looking for some advice from the all knowing nerdery. I don't feel like building a PC system. TIA
hot dog
AG
The Meta Quest platform is your best bet for current gen VR. You don't need a console or a PC to play, the headset can run games completely on its own as standalone hardware. The Quest 2 just dropped to $199 recently, and while it's not the newest Quest model it's an incredible value at that price.
TxAg82
AG
I bought a Quest 3 almost on a whim to give flight sim VR a try. I am very impressed with it. The stand alone VR experience within the Meta ecosystem is easy to use and had lots of great features. Pass through video and mixed reality is really neat. It also works well as a PCVR headset to use use programs like Microsoft Flight Simulator.

2ndChanceAg96
AG
Thank you all. I decided to try that meta quest 2 deal. I had a Best Buy gift card and they had it at $199. Gonna give it a try.
jr15aggie
AG
Try out the Bigscreen app. They have social lobbies where there are always people hosting 3D movies and a variety of things. One of the Quest apps I use the most because I can kick back on my couch and enjoy.
bigtruckguy3500
TxAg82 said:

I bought a Quest 3 almost on a whim to give flight sim VR a try. I am very impressed with it. The stand alone VR experience within the Meta ecosystem is easy to use and had lots of great features. Pass through video and mixed reality is really neat. It also works well as a PCVR headset to use use programs like Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Interesting. I've been wanting to get into VR for a flight Sim.
aggieforester05
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

TxAg82 said:

It's amazing the immersion level is so much better than 2D. That being said you really need some serious PC horsepower to maintain the detail and resolution.
aggieforester05
AG
I have both the Quest 2 and 3. The two has been very reliable with good battery life. The 3 has better resolution and far better pass through, but the battery life is not as good and I've had my first one brick. Meta replaced it under warranty. In fact I have had a total of 5 Oculus/Meta headsets and only two are still working including the 3 that was replaced in the last few weeks.
G Martin 87
AG
If you like golf, be sure to get Golf+ and Walkabout Mini Golf. There's a Golf+ thread on the Golf board. VR golf is impressive on the Quest.
DallasTeleAg
Half Life: Alyx and Star Wars: Squadrons are must plays in VR.
Kampfers
AG
I'll be honest, I was hugely anticipating squadrons and it got a big meh from me. The flight controls weren't very satisfying, it felt very much like an arcade game.

I much preferred Elite Dangerous, even though the broader game (gameplay loop/etc) is pretty meh - the space flight felt weighty and impactful. Had so much fun puttering about on bounty missions or space trucking with a podcast on.

My experience with VR was that seated experiences (racing sims, flight sims, euro truck simulator, etc) were generally the most compelling. Particularly with the right accessories (full hotas setup for flight, wheel for racing, etc).
Iowaggie
AG
aggieforester05 said:

I have both the Quest 2 and 3. The two has been very reliable with good battery life. The 3 has better resolution and far better pass through, but the battery life is not as good and I've had my first one brick. Meta replaced it under warranty. In fact I have had a total of 5 Oculus/Meta headsets and only two are still working including the 3 that was replaced in the last few weeks.

If buying only 1 tomorrow, which would you buy, the cheaper 2 or newer Quest 3?
jr15aggie
AG
The Quest 3. The Quest 2, IMO, was more of a mid gen upgrade to the original Quest. More like a Quest 1.5. The Quest 3 is a full on "next gen" upgrade. Better lenses, better pass thru, and many games with upgraded visuals.

That being said, if money is tight and you are new to VR the Quest 2 will still blow you away.

But if the cost difference isn't a huge deal, go for the Quest 3. I'd also recommend getting the BoboVR M3 Pro headstrap and battery pack. Currently $50 on Amazon... and absolute must, the standard Quest straps hurt after 10 min. BoboVR also has this strap for the Quest 2. 100x more comfortable and the battery will just about double your play time.
TxAg82
AG
aggieforester05 said:

bigtruckguy3500 said:

TxAg82 said:

It's amazing the immersion level is so much better than 2D. That being said you really need some serious PC horsepower to maintain the detail and resolution.
The immersion in VR flying is crazy good. I have dropped hand controllers or a mouse on the floor multiple times thinking I was sitting them down on the passenger seat next to me or up on the glareshield.

You aren't kidding about the horsepower. "Trying out" flight sim VR on the Quest 3 ended up costing me quite a bit extra after upgrading the PC.

As for the question of Quest 2 or 3. Get the 3 if you can afford the extra cost.
TxAg82
AG
If you are are into flight sim and try out VR you will not want to go back to flying on a monitor.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.