PC upgrade advice

659 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 18 days ago by aezmvp
Midnight Yale
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hey guys,

Got the itch to upgrade my computer and was wondering where y'all think the money would be best spent. Rough specs currently:

Ryzen 7 5800X
16 GB DDR 3200 CL 16
Strong MSI B450/550 motherboard (can't remember and lost the box)
Radeon RX 570
512 GB NVMe SSD

Was originally on a cheaper Ryzen chip, but started using some specific programs that needed juice and got the 5800X on a Black Friday deal.

Mostly use my PC for amateur music production and productivity (big ass Excel sheets). However, I'm looking to get back into PC gaming and that's what's driving the itch.

I know I need to upgrade my graphics card, but do I need to worry about better/more RAM yet? And how much more graphics card do I need? Never spent more than like $350 on a graphics card (an Nvidia GTX 680 back in the day), and ideally don't want to go over $300, but will if that's what 1080p gaming demands.
I bet you thought this signature would have a not-so-subtle reference to my political opinions, didn't you? Made you look.
FatZilla
AG
Your ram in fine for gaming. You likely will want a second nvme drive for game storage to go along with your gfx card upgrade. A 1tb m.2 drive is pretty cheap (get one with DRAM on it). I would recommend a 4060 to a 3070 for a gfx card. A 8gb 4060 is just at the $300 mark while a 3070 will run you a bit more but will last you longer overall as it has the performance and dlss support. At 1080p, the 4060 will run pretty much anything you want at full settings and supports the newer dlss 3.

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4060 Gaming OC 8G Graphics Card, 3X WINDFORCE Fans, 8GB 128-bit GDDR6, GV-N4060GAMING OC-8GD Video Card https://a.co/d/09uWSeP

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4060 AERO OC 8G Graphics Card, 3X WINDFORCE Fans, 8GB 128-bit GDDR6, GV-N4060AERO OC-8GD Video Card https://a.co/d/8w4bhMv
aezmvp
If you can hold out the 5000 series will be out later this year or next January. There will likely be some screaming deals if there is excess inventory during the holidays.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.