Former Blizzard Pres: You should tip your game developers

1,441 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 16 days ago by Artorias
C@LAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've thought about this idea for a while, as a player, since I've been diving into single player games lately.

When I beat a game, there are some that just leave me in awe of how amazing the experience was. At the end of the game, I've often thought "I wish I could give these folks another $10 or $20 because it was worth more than my initial $70 and they didn't try to nickel and dime me every second".

Games like HZD, GoW, RDR2, BG3, Elden Ring, etc. I know $70 is already a lot, but it's an option at the end of the game I wish I had at times. Some games are that special.

I know most will dislike this idea. BTW, I realize we are tired of "tipping" in everything else - but I view this different from a pressure to tip type scenario many face and give feedback on.

no dumbass. YOU are supposed to pay your developers. We reward you by buying your game if it is good enough.
aezmvp
Nope. I'm out. I tip you by promoting your game when it's really good.

BTW check out the Legend of Heroes series from Falcom if you like JRPGs. Fantastic series.
kb2001
AG
If a game is really good, it will sell really well, then the company should consider giving the devs a tip, also known as a bonus.
Quad Dog
AG
I might think about it if I thought any of that money would end up in the pocket of developers instead of management or shareholders.
Artorias
AG
Quad Dog said:

I might think about it if I thought any of that money would end up in the pocket of developers instead of management or shareholders.
For the most part, the games biz is no different than any other industry. The leadership will pocket most of the money with little to none going to the devs actually doing the work.
jeffk
AG
I've felt like I should get my money back at the end of a game a few times too.
AggieVictor10
AG
Mike ybarra
bluefire579
AG
Artorias said:

Quad Dog said:

For the most part, the games biz is no different than any other industry. The leadership will pocket most of the money with little to none going to the devs actually doing the work.
And of course, it tends to be worse in the game industry because a lot of places take advantage of that passion to pay folks less. It has seemed to be getting better since I started my career, but it's still low compared to other parts of the tech industry doing similar roles.

Blizzard is definitely one of those, or at least used to be. They do have fantastic benefits, but I know what I was being quoted a few years back was what I was making in Texas with the promise of a larger bonus, so still a pretty big pay cut to have to live in a place like Irvine.
Eliminatus
AG
I have felt that way about a couple of tiny independent studios before. For example I have bought the Stardew Valley and Terraria multipacks a couple of times and given them out to friends. So they could enjoy it of course but mostly to help out those dev teams.

The quality of the material and proven track records is ultimately what matters IMO.

Though I am hypocritical when it comes to Bethesda. They have given me my favorite games I like to play, (Elder Scrolls) and also my favorite game setting of all time. (Fallout). But they also have enough caca in their other ventures and business itself I would never consider them as having earned enough goodwill for me to give extra. Not even close. Despite those works I love, Bethesda is actually kinda ass most of the time.

Sooooo, nah.
batchuser
That industry is going too woke for my liking. Back to playing Nintendo and Atari. I'm old
agdoc2001
AG
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
bluefire579
AG
batchuser said:

That industry is going too woke for my liking. Back to playing Nintendo and Atari. I'm old
k
Artorias
AG
bluefire579 said:

Artorias said:

Quad Dog said:

And of course, it tends to be worse in the game industry because a lot of places take advantage of that passion to pay folks less. It has seemed to be getting better since I started my career, but it's still low compared to other parts of the tech industry doing similar roles.

Blizzard is definitely one of those, or at least used to be. They do have fantastic benefits, but I know what I was being quoted a few years back was what I was making in Texas with the promise of a larger bonus, so still a pretty big pay cut to have to live in a place like Irvine.

Yeah same reason I never moved to Cali. Blizzard has been able to lowball salaries because so many people wanted to work there. Now they are owned by MS I wonder if the salaries will increase. MS pays well.
Ag_0112358132134
What a numbskull.

I hope they do add this option so I can tip $0.01 and cost them money on the credit card processing fee.
Claude!
For a true indie game, I think that kind of makes sense. Like I'd tip the Eric Barone for Stardew Valley - small team and you know where the money is going. But I'm not going to tip anyone for World of Warcraft or Fallout 4 - too big a team.
EastSideAg2002
MW03
AG
(1) Let the devs start a patreon account.
(2) Post a link to said patreon in the comments alongside launch trailers
(3) Run it in the post-game credits.
Artorias
AG
Claude! said:

For a true indie game, I think that kind of makes sense. Like I'd tip the Eric Barone for Stardew Valley - small team and you know where the money is going. But I'm not going to tip anyone for World of Warcraft or Fallout 4 - too big a team.

If I knew specifically who it was going to, like tipping a waiter, then it might be an interesting idea. But most games are so complex and built by such large teams that no one person is the sole developer of any part of the game. Maybe for really small indie teams it would be feasible but even then often multiple people collaborate on different aspects of the game. For example if you really like a weapon in a game. Do you tip the 3d modeler, the animator, the designer who specced out the weapon mechanics, the engineer who coded the weapon mechanics, the VFX artist, audio designer?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.