Digital calendar options

1,539 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by aggie_wes
TecRecAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking for a solution for my home. What I'd like is an iPad type device that would sit in my kitchen and just show calendar events from my Gmail account and my wife's as well.

I don't need the screen to do anything else, so buying a $400 iPad seems pointless. Is there anything relatively inexpensive on the market you all recommend?
trueaggie2782
AG
You can look into Dakboard. Either build your own with an old monitor and raspberri pi or purchase an all-in-one solution from them. Only downside is that if you want to customize your screens substantially, you'll need to pay for a subscription. Otherwise, you can use their pre-tailored templates for free.
aggie_wes
AG
trueaggie2782 said:

You can look into Dakboard. Either build your own with an old monitor and raspberri pi or purchase an all-in-one solution from them. Only downside is that if you want to customize your screens substantially, you'll need to pay for a subscription. Otherwise, you can use their pre-tailored templates for free.

This is the answer. We set one up in our mudroom with a $40 raspberry pi and a $100 TV. It's pretty simple and works well. You don't have to have the subscription, but it isn't all that expensive.
BSpencer00
AG
Skylight does this but it is $200.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
McNasty
AG
3rd for Dakboard. We are hooked, despite having to pay monthly to add more calendars.
Proposition Joe
Skylight.

I played around with a Dakboard for my office and liked it, but Skylight has perfected what you are looking for IMO.
Wildmen03
AG
We have an Amazon Show 15 mounted on the wall in our Kitchen. We set up my calendar, my wife's calendar and a calendar for the kids. It works well and is under $200 on sale.
Tailgate88
AG
McNasty said:

3rd for Dakboard. We are hooked, despite having to pay monthly to add more calendars.

What do you mean when you say add more calendars? If I am logged in with my Google account will it show all the same calendars I see when logged into the web?
agdoc2001
AG
Wildmen03 said:

We have an Amazon Show 15 mounted on the wall in our Kitchen. We set up my calendar, my wife's calendar and a calendar for the kids. It works well and is under $200 on sale.
This.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
IrishAg
Has anyone heard about or looked into this with an e-ink display? I was just randomly thinking about how nice it would be to have an e-ink style calendar in the kitchen for the family.
Sazerac
AG
Hearth

If you like to spend more for a huge screen
heddleston
AG
That'd be awesome, but other than the Kindle scribe 10" e-ink displays start at around $400. T
Nothing really bigger than that until you get into $1000+ monitors
McNasty
AG
Tailgate88 said:

McNasty said:

What do you mean when you say add more calendars? If I am logged in with my Google account will it show all the same calendars I see when logged into the web?

We subscribe to outside calendars (e.g. Kids sports, scouts, etc.) using a url. Each one of those counts against your limit.
IrishAg
heddleston said:

That'd be awesome, but other than the Kindle scribe 10" e-ink displays start at around $400. T
Nothing really bigger than that until you get into $1000+ monitors
https://www.waveshare.com/product/12.48inch-e-paper-module-b.htm

They've actually come down in price and I'm shocked to see they're 3 colors capable now. But I might hold out for the 27" skylight that's coming out. My wife and I like the idea but we want something a lot bigger than 13 or 15 inches to replace the current glass based wall calendar.

All that said, I still my get one of those e-ink monitors for my office to play around with a Pi.
ThreatLevel: Midnight
AG
If you're looking for a 27" option and have some coin, Skylight is releasing a larger model soon or another option is Hearth

Features Hearth Display
Thanks & Gig 'Em
Scooley01
AG
I think I'm going to work on getting DakBoard setup this weekend - already have the Pi and I'll just run it on an old TV for now.

I do wonder about the most efficient way to combine calendars. I have an Outlook calendar at work that I use for all work things, but my spouse doesn't need every single work meeting cluttering up the family calendar. Same with I don't need to see all of his meetings. However, I would want to see our family events AND my work calendar on my phone, and he'll want to see different things on his phone. I am guessing that the solution will probably be to upgrade DakBoard so we can sync more calendars to it?
aggie_wes
AG
Yes. We keep a calendar for just the kids things, and then an agenda view for my wife and I.
Scooley01
AG
I got DAKboard running on an old Raspberry Pi and an old tv we had laying around, and it's really cool! There are a couple features I wish it had (the ability to show a Google Keep list would be A+) but it's got a lot of function and looks nice to boot!
aggie_wes
AG
I think it's possible to show a website through iframes, but haven't needed to so didn't mess with it much.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.