Xbox or PS5 for 10 year old?

1,032 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by Gomer95
cityagboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hey y'all! I'm gonna buy a new system for my son (and myself) soon. We have a switch and he plays a variety of racing, NBA, Breath of the Wild, TOTK, and more. I think he's ready for a bigger system. Would yall suggest the PS5 or XBox? Which is easier to navigate in regard to downloading games, online play, etc?
DallasTeleAg
Do a little research on exclusives. For example, if he wants to play Spiderman, he needs a PS5. If he wants to play Halo, he needs and Xbox.

Outside of the exclusives, really only comes down to who you play games with. If your friends have an Xbox, you would have more fun if you had an Xbox. Vice versa with PS5.

If you do go with the Xbox, please buy the Series X. The S is just not worth it, imo.

ETA: https://www.tomsguide.com/news/ps5-vs-xbox-series-x
jr15aggie
AG
Both consoles pretty much operate the same way. Both require monthly subscriptions to play online. These services also come with "free" games. You'll have to research the differences and pricing options because I'm only familiar with the Xbox stuff. Xbox's service (Gamepass) has a ton of really great games included. It would probably be pretty great for you guys coming in brand new, you'll find multiple games in every genre to play.

The only real difference in the consoles is they will both have certain exclusives, but these are becoming more rare. 90% of the games are available on both consoles with no discernable differences.

Your best bet may be to ask your kid if there are 2 or 3 particular games he really wants to play. For example, one of the hot online games right now is Helldivers II and it happens to only be on PS5. If one of your top games is only on 1 console that is probably the best choice.
EastSideAg2002
spieg12
AG
The best answer for this is whatever his friends play on. A lot of multiplayer games now days have cross play support which makes this less important than in the past but still relevant. I have always preferred the playstation controller and really enjoy Sony exclusives so that's the route I took. Sony was behind for a while on the free games front but they are offering some big triple A titles as well as some indies every month now. The higher tier subscription levels also include streaming some old games from the PS1-PS3 eras.
fig96
AG
Agree with others that you'll want to get him on the platform his friends are on.

That said, I think the PS5 offers a couple more platformers and single player games that might be more age appropriate (if that's a concern).
Gomer95
AG
YES get the one his friends are on because that is how my teen usually talks with his friends which is on Xbox Live. I'm a PS guy but all his buddies were Xbox so that's how they can talk and play games with each other. Can't stress that fact enough.
I hate rude behavior in a man. Won't tolerate it. - Woodrow F. Call
FatZilla
AG
Look into gamepass as well, this option could save you a lot of money but is xbox exclusive.
AvsB
Aren't most current gen games cross-platform for multiplayer now? I am a PS guy and play mostly single player games but do play MW3 and play against Xbox and PC players during multi-player and/or zombie matches while I am on PS5.

IMHO you just can't beat the feel or functionality of the Dualsense controller.
RIP ATMHockey
Gomer95
AG
A few are like Fortnite I think but most discs/downloadable games are not. I might be wrong but I think that's still the case. Thats why I'd go with whatever system all his buddies have.
I hate rude behavior in a man. Won't tolerate it. - Woodrow F. Call
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.