Modem/Router that allows you to schedule WiFi shutoff

1,330 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by lazuras_dc
Geriatric Punk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Having trouble with my young kids waking up early and watching TV (we stream only). Any recommendations on a router/modem combo that allows you to schedule wifi shut off (or shut off specific devices). I'd rather not need to turn the wifi radios off manually each night.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
dtkprowler
AG
Could you just use a smart plug to power them off overnight? I'm sure there are more elegant solutions but this would probably be cheaper to get a few plugs vs buying a whole new router setup?
Stymied
AG
A Firewalla will do all of that and more but it may be overkill and more than you want to spend.
Geriatric Punk
AG
dtkprowler said:

Could you just use a smart plug to power them off overnight? I'm sure there are more elegant solutions but this would probably be cheaper to get a few plugs vs buying a whole new router setup?
Occam's razor. Thanks. This is a good/simple idea. I'm pissed I didn't think of it.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Stymied said:

A Firewalla will do all of that and more but it may be overkill and more than you want to spend.
I've looked at that and may consider it if the easier solution isn't successful. My 7 year old is really resourceful for his age, so it wouldn't surprise me if he figured out how to subvert smart plugs after a few bored mornings.
tfunk02
AG
https://store.ui.com/us/en/pro/category/all-unifi-cloud-gateways/products/ux

https://store.ui.com/us/en/pro/category/all-unifi-cloud-gateways/products/udr

Either of these will do that. You can give the kids their own wifi network with more restrictions on it than the parent network. You can turn off sites or the wifi completely by schedule.
Fenrir
Someone I know has the eero. Haven't personally used it but he can setup specific profiles with their own wifi names and addresses and have them run on schedules or turn them off/on easily. Looked like it made it easy to control individual kid's access.
JSKolache
AG
Hide the TV remotes in your room at right, they are stuck without those
videoag98
AG
Here is the router I use. You can schedule downtimes per MAC address.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-ax3000-dual-band-wifi-6-wireless-router-with-life-time-internet-security-black/6377908.p?skuId=6377908&extStoreId=865&utm_source=feed&ref=212&loc=19625607016&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwz42xBhB9EiwA48pT70QNfX_VXG4SjQri0sajOoyA0SUApBCpguiJMJf7jCwgzXya47b-_RoCKPYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
McNasty
AG
Mid to Higher end asus routers allow scheduling for specific devices, and their app is pretty solid. I have the rt-ax86u, and it has pretty good range to boot.
Mogilla
As mentioned above, Eero is pretty easy. I can add all our devices to profiles and set schedules for each profile individually. Kids tablets can go offline at 7:30p while mine isn't affected. Smart tvs, streaming devices, Chromebook for school…all have their own schedules or can be added to the same schedule. All that on top of giving me better WiFi coverage throughout the house. I'm sure other mesh devices have similar functionality.
AgsMyDude
AG
My Deco mesh system allows for this
The Fife
Can confirm this works great. The drawback is forgetting where you hid them!
JoCoAg09
AG
Our eero mesh system lets you set a schedule for specific devices. So, our children's computers/tv have a "sleep time."
dtkprowler
AG
nvm. I just found it. The scheduling is free but the content filtering is a subscription.
McNasty
AG
McNasty said:

Mid to Higher end asus routers allow scheduling for specific devices, and their app is pretty solid. I have the rt-ax86u, and it has pretty good range to boot.

https://slickdeals.net/share/android_app/fp/947394
lazuras_dc
AG
Geriatric Punk said:

dtkprowler said:

Occam's razor. Thanks. This is a good/simple idea. I'm pissed I didn't think of it.
This is what we did and it works great. powers the router/modem off at midnight and then comes on at like 7am
Stymied
AG
Dumb question... how does a smart plug function if it's cutting it's own access to the internet?

Unless it has it's own clock/timer that is regularly updated, I would assume the smart plug is going to be triggered by the cloud. How would the cloud trigger it if the internet is off?
dtkprowler
AG
I have one that does this exact thing to automatically reset my modem every morning at 3am. It operates off of its own internals once it is set up.
The Fife
Sounds crazy, but a christmas tree light timer worked great to cut the router off and on at certain times at home.
AgsMyDude
AG
Not crazy at all, a buddy of mine does just that. And it's like $7
lazuras_dc
AG
Not a smart plug, just one of these guys

https://www.amazon.com/Techbee-Countdown-Programmalbe-Electrical-Appliances/dp/B086DN9QT3/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=1AOUI84O1UK6M&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.acFC_tsi5z6KTbZJv3BWND0jUbc8JLVZlYztr6GqDdjMCuEb8YCp0CxTebjP1WnGglVYEqp3W25e23xMRXPnjyIf2pd7crOKat66avc24zI2162cdndkWTY6qZOEYiGbomvamcYhRqFZI6TZ3kDQlTMxSUHGcWYvXvIIPTCHGni_eGtNe938Fp84Ct6UTdGcdkKm3Pk3mw9AR7F2xRA3GmudMawC-VcA338FwFs-Vc9m2Cyp3MZ7JiPz2fWhRTfJapeOItvLS4L_INaEqvmwCjDNO5gpsffwdempYhSmmQE.pF8xnKBX2xe982Pqpgiw8bfaTYvDatuKjB-FXk84gR8&dib_tag=se&keywords=digital+plug+timer&qid=1714048868&sprefix=digital+plug+time%2Caps%2C132&sr=8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.