Radiant Barrier in attic
56,143 Views | 323 Replies
fwood90ag
12:36p, 6/2/08
Has anyone used the radiant barrier paint or foil sheets in their attics. I am looking for some feedback as to which or should at all use to cut down on the heat in my 2nd story attic.
ChipFTAC01
12:40p, 6/2/08
I haven't done this, but a friend of mine had one installed. While it has cut down on his heating and cooling costs, also his cell phone only works in about a 2' x 2' spot.
DVM97
1:00p, 6/2/08
Paint on works well, put it into a rent house i own, cut summer light bill by 30-40%, cell phone works fine as far as i know in the house that is.

DVM
BoyNamedSue
1:02p, 6/2/08
How much do they cost to install on average?
dahouse
1:06p, 6/2/08
Worth it. I was a homebuilder in my previous life, I always encouraged homeowners to add it. Cuts cooling costs a bunch.
FiTxAg04
1:17p, 6/2/08
When I built homes, about half of them called for the stuff. It really makes a big difference and is well worth the cost. When I would walk into a framed home with the product installed in the middle of August, it was actually quite comfortable to be in, as opposed to the home without it installed.
ursusguy
1:33p, 6/2/08
We had it put in when our house was being built. Oddly enough (thankfully), we actually have slightly higher electical bill in the winter than in the summer. When the houses were framed out, there was a very noticable difference between our house and the any one around us.
Smokedraw01
7:14p, 6/2/08
My neighbor is in the business of spraying in Radiant barrier into homes, along with other energy saving products. When he first started, I worked for him and learned a lot about the product. I can say that it is well worth it and I recommend you do it. If you are in Houston, let me know if you need the name of reputable guy.
Terk
8:34p, 6/2/08
Is there a DIY version of the stuff? How often do you have to reapply?
Ducks4brkfast
10:34p, 6/2/08
is there any slight advantage to the non-spray versus spray? are they both just as effective?
mts6175
10:40p, 6/2/08
quote:
is there any slight advantage to the non-spray versus spray? are they both just as effective?
The advantage is really just ease of installation. Both are effective.
Smokedraw01
10:40p, 6/2/08
You can buy the paint from most paint stores. Rent a sprayer and it is doable. Just apply it to the decking and supports that touch the decking. Be ready to bend in ways you didn't know you could.

As for non-spray in, I'm assuming you're talking about the foil stuff. I know nothing about it but I can't imagine you being able to put it everywhere that it needs to go in your attic. For simple time efficiency, I really would recommend the paint.

Don't forget, you can also blow in more insulation into your attic. That is ridiculously easy and I call anyone a fool who would hire someone to do it for them. That or someone who has money to burn. Rent the machine and buy the bales of stuff and spray.
Ducks4brkfast
10:46p, 6/2/08
i'm definately not going to install it myself, so i dont care which is easier to install. i just want to make certain that whichever i choose is the better option.
Smokedraw01
10:47p, 6/2/08
Without any research, I imagine the foil is going to run you more than the paint per square foot.
Tormentos
12:38a, 6/3/08
From the research I have done it appears the foil is a better product compared to the spray on barrier. There are alot of shady things installers can do to the spray that reduces the effectiveness (thinning, spraying too thick or too thin, some product is better than others, does installer coat rafters). I am going to attempt to do the foil installation this fall when the attic cools down, cost is around $0.13 per sq ft.
TXAGFAN
1:03a, 6/3/08
quote:
Don't forget, you can also blow in more insulation into your attic. That is ridiculously easy and I call anyone a fool who would hire someone to do it for them. That or someone who has money to burn. Rent the machine and buy the bales of stuff and spray.
Do you have to remove existing insulation? I purchased a home recently and was thinking this would be a quick easy project. I suspect the insulation in the attic is the 30 year old original insulation that has settled significantly.

[This message has been edited by TXAGFAN (edited 6/3/2008 12:04a).]
mts6175
1:08a, 6/3/08
No, you don't need to remove existing insulation. But also remember, it's not just about blowing inches. You have to obtain proper density too to get proper R-value.
RightWingConspirator
8:50a, 6/3/08
I recommend it as well. We have Tek shield (sp??) in our attic and the largest electric bill we've had was $80. Mind you, we have a 3100 sq. ft. house.

This winter I've had electric bills as low as $50.

TAF
RCR06
9:42a, 6/3/08
my parents have been looking into this. to be honest at first it sounded like a crock, but now after talking to several people and reading this thread it sounds legit.
HDeathstar
10:01a, 6/3/08
Red ags - I am in Houston and would like the reference you have. You can email me at pbmix1999@yahoo.com

thanks

[This message has been edited by HDeathstar (edited 6/3/2008 9:47a).]
Smokedraw01
10:14a, 6/3/08
sent
Ducks4brkfast
10:48a, 6/3/08
okay, so the actaul tin is better than spray-in, but cost a little more, and thus will take a little longer to "pay for itself," so to speak.

Please send me any recs you guys have. Or post them here.
Post removed:
by user
10:49a, 6/3/08
Smokedraw01
11:12a, 6/3/08
Rightwing is talking about the Tek Sheild, which is already attached to the decking of the roof.

I have question about the foil, how tight does it have to be against the decking for it to be optimal. I imagine that if it wasn't tight, it would lose it's effectiveness. Anyone know?
Smokedraw01
11:15a, 6/3/08
The company is called Kool-Attics.com and their number is 281-398-9688
or 713-906-3031 and ask for Mike. They do very good work and will
absolutely beat the prices of just about anyone around. If you are
also interested, they sell solar attic fans fans, attic tents, and
solar screens. Let Mike know that his neighbor gave you his number
and he might (no guarantee, promises, or anything of the sort) knock
off a little of the prices. He will already be much cheaper than EAS.

I get no money from this, so I hope you don't feel like I'm trying to
sell you on this. We are just a tight neighborhood.
Bird Poo
11:20a, 6/3/08
Thanks, redags01. That is exactly the type of guy I'm looking to hire. I've gotten a quote from EAS and it was laughable. I just left him a message.
Tormentos
11:27a, 6/3/08
Redags - The foil does not need to be tight and should not be installed directly against the roof decking. The foil is actually more effective when you install by stapling directly to the bottom of the roof rafters and leaving airspace between the foil and your roof deck. You have to remember this is a RADIANT barrier, you do not need to tape seams and it does not need to look pretty when installed. If the barrier is installed between your roof and insulation it will do the job it is designed to do. Here is some more info on foil install:

http://www.atticfoil.com/foilinstallpics.htm
Bird Poo
11:51a, 6/3/08
I installed one strip about 15 ft long near the sofet. It took me all of 2 hours to do this, breathing in dust and God knows what else. I agree that the foil is perhaps more effective from a barrier and cost standpoint, but it is a complete pain in the ass to install. If you are doing this all on your own, look to spend the majority of your free time in the attic for a few months. Just saying, I would rather hire help and spend the time with my kids.
AgsWin
12:02p, 6/3/08
I'm actually in the process of doing this now. I purchase the foil from atticfoil.com. The first thing I did was to put the foil on the inside of my garage door as my house faces west and the garage temp is higher than the outside temp once the sun hits it. The day after installing it the garage temp measured 12 degrees below the outside temp.

I have started attaching it to the rafters in the attic, but it will take time to finish.
Ducks4brkfast
12:31p, 6/3/08
anyone have a Houston rec for someone that installs foil, and not paint?
mts6175
4:32p, 6/3/08
I'm curious to know what you guys are getting quoted price wise per sq. foot.
grabhootch
4:38p, 6/3/08
Just spoke to the guy redags referred. He said that 50 cents/sq. ft. is a good price for the spray in.

I've gotten quotes for the foil for $1.25/sq. ft.

If you have 1000 ft of attic space, don't forget to multiply times 1.3 for a 30 degree roof pitch--this will get you the correct sq. ft. for estimated cost of application.
HDeathstar
9:11a, 6/4/08
I called redags guy as well. Seemed nice. Got him coming out for a quote. We will see.
LoudestWHOOP!
11:14a, 6/4/08
Very intrigued by any kind of radiant barrier, considering our recent 100F+ days in Midland.
My AC compressor hasn't rested in 4 days.

I have been considering insulating my garage door, I don't think I could not do it now.
Our Garage is unshaded, west facing and its attic continues into the house attic.
I guess I need the insulate it.

How does the Solar Shield compare from Home depot?
mts6175
12:35p, 6/4/08
Don't insulate your garage door. Leave it cracked open at the bottom to allow airflow.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 10
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings