Outdoors
Sponsored by

Best Bait For Brazos River

19,031 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by Aggiefan54
ag_03_aj
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Im going out to some private land 2moro on the river with my dad. what is the best bait to use out there? we use to fish years ago together, but it has been a really long time. I know we have about a dozen and half crawfish but what else should We take.

TIA
oldcrow07
go sane up some red horses from somerville they work great just dont get caught
txaggie02
AG
"lglidewell" should be responding to this thread soon. he fishes the brazos alot and I think he does pretty well.
GSS
Not easy to find (has to be shallow/rocky), but hellagramites are a super bait in the Brazos.
maroonblood08
AG
6" frozen shad. Cut into three sections. We used to slaughter blues like that.
lglidewell
I'm here, i'm here... =) You can go several routes... I've had luck with all sorts of bait, the top being perch, extra large minnows (bout $3 a dozen), goldfish, frozen shrimp, fresh water shrimp, chicken livers, crawdads, helgamites, and even fresh water mussels. Red horses i believe are the best bait hands down, however, I wouldn't recommend using them since its against Texas fishing laws.

Perch, minnows, goldfish, frozen shrimp, chicken livers can be bought and are usually the easiest to acquire. I have also had good luck on the crawdads, helgamites and the mussels. Helgamites and mussels can be found in the river in sandy areas. The helgamites, you will have to start turning over rocks in the sand near the water. They make excellent bait, but watch out, their little pinchers don't feel to good. =) Right now the yellow cats should be spawning or close to spawning, so you will should have your best luck finding them in the rapids right now. If you are rod and reel fishing, be prepared to lose some weights and hooks, so bring lots of both. I primarily fish with throw lines and jug lines had great results with them. However, the jug lines take a while to build, but it sure makes it worth it.
MouthBQ98
AG
Fished the Navasota last weekend. We had a steady bite on chicken livers and nightcrawlers from catfish.
ag_03_aj
AG
thanks for all the help. We went out to some private land near near mumford and had a great time. we caught some nice yellow cats and a few channel cats, but we caught tons of "gues" (sp?) My dad caught a 32 lb blue using crawfish but most of the fish were caught on worms or shrimp. the crawfish seemed to only bring in the really small catfish except for the 1 big one. again thanks for all yalls help. my dad really enjoyed it.
mneisch
AG
gaspergou, or freshwater drum

sounds like a good fishing trip
Aggiefan54
Hercules Spinner

[This message has been edited by Aggiefan54 (edited 5/30/2009 1:33p).]
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.