The Dove Recipe Thread
18,456 Views | 11 Replies
35chililights
5:45p, 9/9/09
I have decided to combine all the dove recipes into one thread so we dont have to click back and forth between multiple threads (dont worry, I will keep them linked and give credit where it is due).

txaggie02:
1. Breast them out
2. Take a piece of the dove breast. Put a slice of onion on one side and a slice of jalapeno on the other. Wrap small piece of bacon around it once and then put a toothpick through all of it to hold together.
3. Put on the grill and baste with bbq sauce.
4. BBQ sauce and bacon will keep it moist.

swampstander:
I cook mine the old fashioned way, wrapped in bacon with a jalepeno. Marinade and baste with Italian dressing...keeps them moist.

JonoWH21:
pepperjack and jalapeno wrapped in bacon, similar to shrimp.

Ducks4Breakfast:
sometimes i fry them. sometimes i substitute dove for chicken in the a chicken and rice caserole recipe which is really good. if cooking for the masses, i'll grill them. and i always take them off the breast bone.

Here's a simple one I've had since I was a kid. Ate the heck out of it in college.

- 6 dove breasts - breasted out (12 halves)
- 1 1/2 cups long grain rice
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 4 cups water
- 1 pkg. onion soup mix

Put rice in bottom of baking dish. Place dove breasts on top. Add cream of mushroom soup and water. Sprinkle onion soup mix on top. Bake for about 2 hours at 350 degrees.

Sometimes I don't use the oinion soup mix.

MurphyMID:
We usually lay a 1/3 slice of bacon over the top and smoke them until the bacon is stuck to the breast meat.
I have made dove jambalaya before as well using zaterains mix before as well. Came our really well and got lots of compliments on it...

cuz-i-can:
First I marinade as many dove breasts we have in a plastic bag with Italian dressing and whole milk over night. I then make a slice between the meat and bone on both sides of the breast bone. I then wedge a mixture of onions, jalapenos, pepper jack cheese, and various color bell peppers into the cavity. I then wrap it in thick sliced bacon and secure it with a tooth pick.
To cook this concoction I either smoke it or broil them. They cook fairly fast. Good luck.

MasterAggie:
Similar to others but I think the exxtra step adds tot he taste.

Marinate the filets in Italian dressing preferably over night. Wrap with bacon and jalapeno slice and secure with toothpick. Put them in a foil pan or make a "foil boat" to put them on. sprinkle with Cajun shake,add some sliced onion and butter. Squirt with lemon juice. Place on the grill for 5-7 minutes then remove from pan or boat and place on the grill. cover with bbq sause of choice and allow to cook until bacon is crispy.

sounds like a lot of trouble but it's not too bad and the results are great! Works good for duck as well.

GSlice06:
dove stew, dove and dumplings (my favorite), or the bacon wrapped grilled same ole bird

Cubicle Dweller:
Wrapped in bacon and green chile.

bigdm:
Dove breast only smothered in deep brown gravy with onions and bell pepper. Do it just like you would do round steak.

Cowtown Red:
Filet the breasts of a limit or two of doves, depending on how many folks you have to feed.

Lightly flour the dove meat and fry in a saucepan in a bit of shortening. Remove dove to paper towels to drain.
Add flour to the renderings to make a roux. Patience here, keep stirring it until it is a deep chocolate brown.
Once the roux has browned, add in a sliced onion and some button-top mushrooms, and a bay leaf or two to be retrieved later.
Once the onion sweats out, add enough water to make a semi-thin sauce, put the dove breasts back in, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or so.
Serve over a bed of white rice with french bread for sopping.

Awesome! It's basically smothered swiss steak, but you're using dove breasts instead of chopped steak.

flunked ag88:
i marinate in stubb's beef marinade, make a slice in each side, add cream cheese, top with sliced japs and wrap wih bacon.

straydog:
put the breast in a crock pot with a little chicken bullion, oinons, poblano peppers, old bay seasoning, water and salt/pepper to taste.
5 hrs later serve over fresh cat head bisquits and some nice red wine......

Western Tracker:
Half of a jalapeno? pepper
Half of a dove breast
A sliver of pepper jack cheese
Wrap it in bacon an grill till done.

maroonblood08:
-can of diced pineapple.
-strain the juice into a ziplock bag. keep chunks of pineapple separate
-take breasts off of bone and place in *zip lock bag* to marinate in pineapple juice.
-fresh jalapeno halved and deseeded.
-cream cheese in jalapeno halves.
- on toothpick as follows: bacon, dove breast, pineapple chunk, jalapeno, pineapple chunk, dove breast, bacon.

pauley01:
-6 Dove breast, halved
-3 TBSP butter
-6 scallions, chopped
-1 carrot, chopped
-1 rib celery, chopped
-1/2 green pepper, chopped
-1/2 cup chicken broth
-1/2 cup white wine
-1 bay leap
-1 tsp. marjoram
-salt/pepper

1. Melt butter in pan...add dove breasts and brown on all sides
2. Remove dove breasts...in same pan, saute scallion, carrot, celery, and pepper.
3. Meanwhile, in saucepan, bring wine and broth to a boil.
4. Add bay leaf, marjoram, and boiling mixture to the vegetables.
5. In a baking dish, place dove breast on greased bottom. Pour vegetable/broth mixture over doves.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 min.

It's freaking good.

Gilligan:
take them off the bone keeping them connected if possible.
soak in milk with greek seasoning.
stuff with cream cheese and jalapeno's and wrap in bacon.
sprinkle with greek seasoning and grill to perfection.
serve directly off the grill... Cold Beer!

cooking dove (circa 2008)

dove recipes (also circa 2008)

Dove Recipes (Circa 2009)

and obviously add to this as you see fit.

[This message has been edited by 35chililights (edited 9/9/2009 4:48p).]

[This message has been edited by 35chililights (edited 9/9/2009 11:37p).]
Birddog 99
5:58p, 9/9/09

* Casserole dish
* line up birds in dish
* mix 1 can cream of mushroom soup and 1 can adobo chilis with sauce in blender
* pour over birds
* bake in oven at 350 for 30 minutes or so until done
Ducks4brkfast
6:19p, 9/9/09
Some others.

http://www.texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?forum_id=34&topic_id=1471902
Aggietaco
1:36p, 9/3/11
Bump for the new season.
Owen Kellogg
6:26p, 9/3/13
Bump. Probably stick to the known good (bacon, jalapeƱo, etc) for the first meal. Wanting to try something new after that...
big ben
3:07p, 9/3/16
bump for '16 season
DiskoTroop
4:10p, 9/3/16
Italian style stewed doves over polenta

30 dove breasts
1 cup all-purpose flour
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 small onions (diced)
2 carrot (peeled, diced)
2 stalk celery (diced)
4 cloves garlic (minced)
2 tablespoon tomato paste
1.5 cup white wine
4 cups chicken stock
2 sprig rosemary
6 sprigs thyme

Season flour, flour doves, brown. Remove from pan.
Add olive oil, onion, celery, carrot, cook until onion translucent. Add herbs, garlic and tomato paste. Cook a minute or two until fragrant.
Deglaze pan with wine. Add chicken stock. Add doves back in. Simmer 45 min-1 hour. Add flour for thicker stew.

1 cup polenta
3 cup chicken stock
cup heavy cream
pinch salt
cup shredded asiago cheese

Additional cheese for table

Bring liquid and salt to a boil. Stir in polenta. Reduce heat and cook for about 20 minutes or so or until creamy. Stir occasionally with a wooden spoon. Stir in cup shredded asiago cheese just before removing from heat.
End Of Message
5:00p, 9/3/16
techno-ag
5:40p, 9/3/16
First, remove the band.
Gus Fring
10:12p, 9/5/16
In reply to DiskoTroop
quote:
Italian style stewed doves over polenta

30 dove breasts
1 cup all-purpose flour
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 small onions (diced)
2 carrot (peeled, diced)
2 stalk celery (diced)
4 cloves garlic (minced)
2 tablespoon tomato paste
1.5 cup white wine
4 cups chicken stock
2 sprig rosemary
6 sprigs thyme

Season flour, flour doves, brown. Remove from pan.
Add olive oil, onion, celery, carrot, cook until onion translucent. Add herbs, garlic and tomato paste. Cook a minute or two until fragrant.
Deglaze pan with wine. Add chicken stock. Add doves back in. Simmer 45 min-1 hour. Add flour for thicker stew.

1 cup polenta
3 cup chicken stock
cup heavy cream
pinch salt
cup shredded asiago cheese

Additional cheese for table

Bring liquid and salt to a boil. Stir in polenta. Reduce heat and cook for about 20 minutes or so or until creamy. Stir occasionally with a wooden spoon. Stir in cup shredded asiago cheese just before removing from heat.

How many servings is this? Looks delicious
DiskoTroop
2:14a, 9/6/16
It makes maybe 8 servings. I always end up with more polenta though... And when the recipe says dove breasts, that's a single breast off the bone. That's just the way I do them. Makes the table cleaner what with no bones to deal with. So it's for a single limit of doves, (15 birds). With that making 8 servings it's obviously a very vegetable and sauce based dish covering the polenta. The doves are there for some protein and a little flavor but they're not the main element of the dish I guess.

Certainly adjust it according to your wishes. If you want more doves, add 'em!
cuz-i-can
9:56a, 9/3/19
BusterAg
4:07p, 9/3/19
I also like to fry them on the breastbone. Just roll the whole breast in seasoned flour and cook like fried chicken. Easy to eat off the bone, and surprisingly good.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings