Outdoors
Sponsored by

Springfield 1903 30-0-6

2,117 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by WestTexAg12
HumpItAgs599
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hey guys! Came to see what y'all think this might be worth, if much at all. It was passed down from a family member and figured y'all would know more about it. Believe it was military issued to a family member. It's in very good shape, and shoots pretty straight still too!

https://ibb.co/BwMxqyn
https://ibb.co/TT3M0Mj
https://ibb.co/WBfwH5C
Shoefly!
AG
Very nice, I'll give you $350.00.
HumpItAgs599
Is that all they typically go for? I've seen some quite a bit higher online, and am simply curious.
AgEng06
AG
I'll give you $351... and a Klondike bar.
agsalaska
AG
First, very cool gun. I am not really into military stuff so someone will come along soon to verify, but it appears unmodified. The vast majority of those old Springfields were sporterized and turned into deer rifles. This one wasn't. That by itself puts in in the several hundred dollar range at least. After that it gets into model/serial/matching parts/etc that I can't really comment on with 1903s.

Second, it is certainly possible that the gun was issued to an active duty family member but it is far more likely that a military family member bought it at a PX or bought when leaving the army. Again someone will be more familiar with that than me, but I do know that was somewhat common between wars.
1990Hullaballoo
AG
My grandfather bought three of these and sporterized them. One for him, and one for each of his oldest two children (my mom and uncle). He used his for hunting deer over thirty years before he wore the barrel out and it started scattering shots. Stories from my uncles are that he would routinely shoot deer at 600 to 700 yards with that gun. I still have a "clip" of tracer cartridges he bought for them.
HumpItAgs599
Thanks for the reply. I'm more curious about the parts and history than the price, although it's fun to know too.

I did also see that a boxed cartouche of OGEK means it may have been inspected by Elmer Kieth? Which also is kind of neat
rally-cap
AG
There are a lot of factors that go into 1903 values. Of all the American Milsurps, the 1903 probably has the most variations and small details that affect the value, as compared to the M1 Garand that really only has the date of manufacture, the manufacturer, condition, and parts matching to consider. The 1903 is a good bit older, so there are a few more variations, rebuilds, etc to work through.

There are a lot of markings on different parts of the receiver and barrel that will help identify the rifle. But based on the photos you have given, it is what is considered a "low number" 1903, and your 299XXX serial number puts it as a 1907 manufacture date. Anything made by Springfield with a number less than 800000 is considered a "low number" 1903, and they are widely regarded as unsafe to shoot. At that time, they were only heat treating the receivers once, and they were found to sometimes rupture when fired, so they started double heat treating them after serial number 800000.

Many of these rifles still saw service and were used in both wars, some being rebuilt like yours was. The O.G.E.K. in the rectangle cartouche on the stock means it was rebuilt at the Ogden Utah Ordinance Depot by Elmer Kieth (or he was the officer in charge). This likely means the barrel is not original to the receiver, but that your rifle was probably used in WW2.

There are a lot of other small markings and details that you can find on it that will help narrow down its value. But on the face of it, the fact that it is a "low number" 1903 means that you'll need to find a buyer (if you are actually wanting to sell it) that wants it as a collectible, not a shooter. It may be safe to shoot 1000 more times before the receiver decides it wants to come apart, or it could be the next time the trigger is pulled, you have no way of knowing.

But to give you an estimate, based on a quick Google search and the info you've provided in the pictures, some similar rifles have sold in the $900-$1200 range from what I've seen.
rally-cap
AG
And to get the photos in the thread -

agsalaska
AG
Cool rifle
Animal Eight 84
AG
Nice rifle. On my bucket list.

Both my grandfathers were in WW1. So I bought a 1917 & want to get a 1903 to shoot.

Definitely in the $900 to $1200 range. Would've been more if the stock finish was original.
DrEvazanPhD
rally-cap said:

There are a lot of factors that go into 1903 values. Of all the American Milsurps, the 1903 probably has the most variations and small details that affect the value, as compared to the M1 Garand that really only has the date of manufacture, the manufacturer, condition, and parts matching to consider. The 1903 is a good bit older, so there are a few more variations, rebuilds, etc to work through.

There are a lot of markings on different parts of the receiver and barrel that will help identify the rifle. But based on the photos you have given, it is what is considered a "low number" 1903, and your 299XXX serial number puts it as a 1907 manufacture date. Anything made by Springfield with a number less than 800000 is considered a "low number" 1903, and they are widely regarded as unsafe to shoot. At that time, they were only heat treating the receivers once, and they were found to sometimes rupture when fired, so they started double heat treating them after serial number 800000.

Many of these rifles still saw service and were used in both wars, some being rebuilt like yours was. The O.G.E.K. in the rectangle cartouche on the stock means it was rebuilt at the Ogden Utah Ordinance Depot by Elmer Kieth (or he was the officer in charge). This likely means the barrel is not original to the receiver, but that your rifle was probably used in WW2.

There are a lot of other small markings and details that you can find on it that will help narrow down its value. But on the face of it, the fact that it is a "low number" 1903 means that you'll need to find a buyer (if you are actually wanting to sell it) that wants it as a collectible, not a shooter. It may be safe to shoot 1000 more times before the receiver decides it wants to come apart, or it could be the next time the trigger is pulled, you have no way of knowing.

But to give you an estimate, based on a quick Google search and the info you've provided in the pictures, some similar rifles have sold in the $900-$1200 range from what I've seen.
This is why I love the OB.
HumpItAgs599
Reviving this thread in case anyone would like to purchase this rifle. Has not been shot since the last post, stored in a climate controlled safe!
O.G.
Shoefly! said:

Very nice, I'll give you $350.00.
That is properly prounounced, Tree-Fiddy.
SanAntoneAg
AG
My wife's grandfather, TAMC Class of '44, gifted me an 03A3. A few years ago I shot half a box of .30-06 ammo, probably cheap Federal or maybe green yellow box at 50 yards. It was accurate like all get out with those iron sights.

That steel butt plate though. The old shoulder took a pounding.

I need to pull it out of the safe and harvest some freezer meat with it.
Gig 'em! '90
SanAntoneAg
AG
HumpItAgs599 said:

Reviving this thread in case anyone would like to purchase this rifle. Has not been shot since the last post, stored in a climate controlled safe!

What would you like to get for it?
Gig 'em! '90
Shoefly!
AG
You come up with a price?
Gunny456
AG
I would cherish it. I always wish the old firearms could talkā€¦. What they have seen? How many hands held them? What story did those men, like your grandfather have?
WestTexAg12
AG
HumpItAgs599 said:

Please send me a text. My dad has been wanting one.

979- four 5 zero - 6192
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.