Snake Thread: 2024
71,756 Views | 523 Replies
Badace52
2:13p, 3/24/24
In reply to Stive
Stive said:

Buttermilk Racer?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
FrioAg 00
8:04p, 3/25/24
In reply to aggiesundevil4
aggiesundevil4 said:

We are in Arenal next to the volcano. Guide had a vortex spotting scope and yes I held my camera up to it. It wasn't very zoomed in, the snake was only 10-12 feet away, but it took a much better picture than phone alone. I brought my Bushnell binoculars with me which have been super handy during our treks. Saw 8 sloths yesterday! Here's a bonus pic, not a snake, but a strawberry poison dart frog that looks like Spider-Man.

I was just there at Arenal myself and saw that same type of dart frog. Very cool.

GigEmJake17
7:23p, 3/27/24
Unfortunately this little fella was dead... Scared the crap out of my toddler.
marcel ledbetter
8:00p, 3/27/24
Here's a few from Costa Rica. These were at a local serpentarium in a park. They were hard to get good photos of due to low light and shooting through the thick glass housing the snakes.

ttha_aggie_09
8:45p, 3/27/24
In reply to marcel ledbetter
Arboreal snakes are so freaking cool
P.U.T.U
2:12p, 3/28/24
2 yellow belly and 1 diamondback water snake on my run today. Had a woman walking by when I was looking and basically had to touch the dang things for her to see them.
MouthBQ98
5:31p, 3/28/24
First snake of the year….not a copperhead.

Appears to be a cranky juvenile coachwhip.

MouthBQ98
8:02a, 3/30/24
And the second snake of the year…..you guessed it.
Mathguy64
9:01a, 3/30/24
In reply to MouthBQ98
1. He must be well fed. He's passing up a June bug.

2. Stop providing such a well maintained area of camouflage.
SoulSlaveAG2005
11:12a, 3/30/24
From a friends house. Smith county.

Beautiful speckled king. She let him live… made me proud.
TresPuertas
11:40a, 3/30/24
another pool anaconda rescued by my youngest today.

aggiesundevil4
12:25p, 3/30/24
In reply to TresPuertas
Nice shirt!
Badace52
8:41p, 3/30/24
Not a snake. But a pretty big girl...
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Txducker
2:24p, 3/31/24
Easter snake

VStarr2024
4:05p, 3/31/24
Found this guy while moving some wood around. Crawled back up in the pile before I could relocate him. Juvenile rat snake? Couldn't get a picture of the head in time. College station.
MyNameIsJeff
8:12a, 4/1/24
In reply to VStarr2024
That pattern looks more like a prairie kingsnake, in my opinion, but I'll let the real pros weigh in.
Double Twin Marine
10:38a, 4/1/24
This guy was on the bank while we were fishing. Very lethargic and not really moving. Went back the next day and still there only this time dead. No idea what happened to him. Also, assuming this is a PBWS?
Badace52
12:31p, 4/1/24
In reply to VStarr2024
The central clearing of larger patches and less uniform shape of the patches both suggest you are right. Juvenile rat snake.
AZAG08
12:37p, 4/1/24
Not my pictures unfortunately but from a couple friends in the last few days

First one was last night in McKinney
Second was around Junction over the weekend

Cromagnum
1:07p, 4/1/24
In reply to AZAG08
AZAG08 said:

Not my pictures unfortunately but from a couple friends in the last few days

First one was last night in McKinney
Second was around Junction over the weekend

Kinky slinkys.
Badace52
7:37p, 4/1/24
In reply to Cromagnum
Those are likely two males fighting over a girl. They kinda wrestle until one gives up and the winner gets to mate with the female.
12f Mane
7:52a, 4/2/24
In reply to VStarr2024
It is somewhat of a funky looking individual, but that's a young Texas ratsnake
JDGS612
7:18p, 4/3/24
Found this dude hiding while moving some stuff around outside the house. Western Milksnake I believe.

TAMUAG07
12:46p, 4/4/24
Found this guy swimming laps in our pool today - Houston heights. Going to keep him until the kids get home from school to see before he will be put back into pest control service.

Sea Speed
1:04p, 4/4/24
Our adopted cat found a snake and didn't kill it. Rough earth snake? Wife sent the pic and said snake went on its way.
MyNameIsJeff
1:22p, 4/4/24
In reply to Sea Speed
Yes, rough earth snake.

And the post above you is a young plain bellied watersnake.
TAMUAG07
1:35p, 4/4/24
I had the one in our pool identified as a juvenile rat snake. Is that wrong?
12f Mane
2:17p, 4/4/24
In reply to TAMUAG07
Yep, that's a young blotched watersnake
12f Mane
2:17p, 4/4/24
In reply to JDGS612
Super cool. What county?
JDGS612
3:08p, 4/4/24
In reply to 12f Mane
Brazos just south of CS
cupofjoe04
1:52p, 4/6/24

I caught a glimpse of a snake today, along the back deck. I just saw the head, and front 6-8" of it, before it disappeared into some leaves. It honestly looked like a rough earth snake, from coloration to texture. It was very uniformly brown. However, the head and body were as big around as my thumb, so I'm guessing this snake was around 12-16" long. It seemed way too big for an earth snake to me.

Sorry, no pictures.

Any ideas on a solid brown snake in that size range in north Texas? The coachwhips I have seen have been darker, and usually fade to lighter on the back half.
cupofjoe04
1:55p, 4/6/24
In reply to MouthBQ98
MouthBQ98 said:

Possibly a juvenile coachwhip, if that is indeed what this is? It looked very similar to this snake, just a bit bigger around (hard to tell scale in this picture).
txags92
2:02p, 4/6/24
In reply to cupofjoe04
cupofjoe04 said:

I caught a glimpse of a snake today, along the back deck. I just saw the head, and front 6-8" of it, before it disappeared into some leaves. It honestly looked like a rough earth snake, from coloration to texture. It was very uniformly brown. However, the head and body were as big around as my thumb, so I'm guessing this snake was around 12-16" long. It seemed way too big for an earth snake to me.

Sorry, no pictures.

Any ideas on a solid brown snake in that size range in north Texas? The coachwhips I have seen have been darker, and usually fade to lighter on the back half.

Probably a racer. Look at Tan Racer or Yellow Bellied Racer and see if that looks similar. They have large round eyes that can be very noticeable.
bigevent99
2:32p, 4/6/24
Coachwhip? About 3', close to lake near Corsicana
zooguy96
2:40p, 4/6/24
In reply to Sea Speed
Sea Speed said:

Our adopted cat found a snake and didn't kill it. Rough earth snake? Wife sent the pic and said snake went on its way.

Cute cat. Saying " I don't do nuffin!"
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 6 of 15
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings