Outdoors
Sponsored by

2024 Western Hunting Thread

15,236 Views | 161 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by Charismatic Megafauna
Todd 02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Applications are open in several states and the first 2024 Application Deadlines are coming up in a week or so.

I had to take a year off to treat a back injury, but I'm back in the game this year. Elk, deer, and antelope applications in New Mexico. Elk and deer points in Colorado.

Let's do this!!!

Previous years' threads:
2023 Western Hunting Thread
2022 Western Hunting Thread
2021 Big Game Draw Deadlines
2020 Western States Draw Deadlines
2019 Western States Draw Deadlines
2018 Western States Draw Deadlines
Western States Draw Deadlines: 2017

Western Hunting Advice for Beginner
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Thanks for getting this started! I'm ready for another year of good advice, great stories/pictures, and hopefully some more personal success on this thread!
mneisch
AG
Probably try and draw mule deer in Colorado this year. Going back to the unit I was successful getting a bull in last year. Points for elk and pronghorn. 4 kids, so I don't mess with any of the others states right now.
Hoyt Ag
AG
I will probably do archery mule deer and bull elk this year along with a 3rd season cow tag. I am diving in PH from Oct 12-Nov3 so I miss out on 1st and 2nd rifle this year. I really wanna get an axis in TX but that might not be in the cards depending on schedule of turnarounds.
NRH ag 10
AG
Burning my mulie points for a 4th season CO hunt, probably do a 2nd choice/OTC tag for elk to keep building towards a good unit for 1st rifle for elk.
Maximus Johnson
AG
I have an OTC spring bear hunt planned in AZ this year. Bought a point for AZ elk and am planning on buying UT,CO and NM elk and muley points.

Anyone have any Muley or Elk OTC suggestions while I build my point totals up?
Watchful Ag
AG
I'm putting in for something this year. Apologies in advance for any silly or FAQs
JFABNRGR
AG
YEP Wyoming deadline looming.
New NR Special Tag $1965. If on party with my daughter her $290 tag also jumps to $1965. OUCH and not happening!
I have the site up last 24 hours still debating with what to do on partying or going individual. If I draw and she doesn't shell be pissed but she will still likely draw in MT and I will go with her as well. I think I answered my own question.
aggie0959
Bought my daughter her first points for az elk.
harge57
AG
Will be interesting to see how WY changes shake things up. So annoying we don't get results for 4 months.
WestTexAg12
AG
Maximus Johnson said:

I have an OTC spring bear hunt planned in AZ this year. Bought a point for AZ elk and am planning on buying UT,CO and NM elk and muley points.

Anyone have any Muley or Elk OTC suggestions while I build my point totals up?

NM points?
WestTexAg12
AG
Just had my first daughter in November. Have 3 weddings September-November and an Argentina dove hunt planned in June. It's just points for me this year. Hoping I can score a Mule deer hunt back home in West Texas during thanksgiving.

AZ elk, mule deer, pronghorn points
CO elk, mule deer, pronghorn points
MT elk, mule deer, moose points
WY elk, mule deer, pronghorn points
NV elk, mule deer, pronghorn points
NM elk, mule deer, pronghorn skipping this year
ID elk, mule deer skipping this year
AgEng06
AG
WestTexAg12 said:

Just had my first daughter in November. Have 3 weddings September-November and an Argentina dove hunt planned in June. It's just points for me this year. Hoping I can score a Mule deer hunt back home in West Texas during thanksgiving.

And then you put NM points in your post too...
Hoyt Ag
AG
That is an expensive points list.
TheVarian
AG
Do you need an adopted adult son whom you could donate points. I'll carry bags and complain the whole time but it'll be an experience
Maximus Johnson
AG
Excuse my ignorance, I am new to the western hunting/points world but are you saying it would be $1,965 to apply and if not drawn you receive one point for almost $2K?!?!?

Maybe this stuff isn't for me...... lol
Hoyt Ag
AG
If not drawn, the point cost is $52 I believe.
JFABNRGR
AG
Maximus Johnson said:

Excuse my ignorance, I am new to the western hunting/points world but are you saying it would be $1,965 to apply and if not drawn you receive one point for almost $2K?!?!?

Maybe this stuff isn't for me...... lol
Every state is different but, WY you don't get a point for not being drawn you have to buy them separately during a short window a few months back july to Oct.

The $1965 is what they call special draw while regular tag is I think $707. The thought is less hunters will buy possibly giving you better odds in drawing but this is not always the case.

Its pretty complex between the varying states and species and best helped with a concierge type service of which they are many.

https://www.gohunt.com/insider/states/wyoming
AgEng06
AG
I am still up in the air on official plans, but it will include an archery elk hunt (either NM or CO), and a draw attempt at CO moose. I will also get a deer point in CO, and possibly an AZ archery deer tag.
harge57
AG
Anyone hunted Barbary sheep in units 29 or 30 in NM? Have a hunt starting in February. Hoping to find some mearns quail as well.
mtngoat3006
Looking at cashing in 24 pref pts in western WY on a Shiras moose hunt. I can't wait to get out of the western states pref pts game... That being said, I will be buying and continuing building pref pts in UT, MT, & CO for a variety of critters. Hopefully once I hit retirement in four more years I will start drawing some premium tags out west to take up my spare time in the Fall.

Good luck Ags on the upcoming drawings!

WestTexAg12
AG
AgEng06 said:

WestTexAg12 said:

And then you put NM points in your post too...

Your reading comprehension is subpar. I just said I'm skipping NM this year. As in applying for the hunts. Does it say points on the NM or ID lines?
WestTexAg12
AG
Hoyt Ag said:

That is an expensive points list.

I know, but my goal is to build up a decent point base across multiple states and species so I can hunt once a year with about 5-6 points for anything. Im not looking for trophy hunts, just opportunity.

I only have 2 points across the board for all of those. I may forego NV and MT points, stop applying for ID, and just stick to AZ, WY, CO, and NM.
Hoyt Ag
AG
I stick to 4 states, more than that and I think the actual chances of me hunting them all drastically declines. With 4 states, I can manage it a little easier and its easier on the pocketbook. I do MT, WY, NV. I stopped CO points cause I can hunt OTC right in my backyard.
WestTexAg12
AG
Hoyt Ag said:

I stick to 4 states, more than that and I think the actual chances of me hunting them all drastically declines. With 4 states, I can manage it a little easier and its easier on the pocketbook. I do MT, WY, NV. I stopped CO points cause I can hunt OTC right in my backyard.

Yea that makes sense for you since you live there. With OTC possibly (probably) going bye bye and CO is a closer drive with good hunting, I still want to build points there.
I told my wife this, but if CO wasn't so fked politicallly and socially, I'd move there so I could hunt more often. I don't have land in Texas and public opportunity is next to none . I'm damn sure not going to spend $3000 to shoot a whitetail on private.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Agreed. I don't understand people wanting to move here if they have a shred of conservatism. I can't wait to leave.
BCO07
AG
Going to buy pts in CO for elk this year and likely put in for NM. Plan to go back to CO for OTC
AgDad121619
AG
What is the cost of an archery stamp to go with general rifle season in Wyoming if you draw? I keep seeing that you can get an archery stamp or hunt general rifle if draw an archery tag but can not find the extra price Is it $707 x 2?
harge57
AG
AgDad121619 said:

What is the cost of an archery stamp to go with general rifle season in Wyoming if you draw? I keep seeing that you can get an archery stamp or hunt general rifle if draw an archery tag but can not find the extra price Is it $707 x 2?

Off the top of my head it's like another $70.
AgDad121619
AG
harge57 said:

AgDad121619 said:

that's for nonresident ? That's seems like an incredible deal if you have the time to hunt both seasons
TikkaShooter
Still ISO 2 MD rifke tags. Will see what I can turn up.
FirefightAg
AG
Trying to make WY decisions.

Looking at unit 33 or 41. Might try Cow calf 1st then try and draw Any tag. Currently have 6PP

Also have 6pp for antelope in WY that I need to burn. Was thinking maybe do antelope this year close to one of those units, then cow calf next year then Any tag in 2 years.....anyone have suggestions on that or a different unit to draw with 8-9 elk PP????
captainloush
I have backpack hunted in the Flat Tops (Colorado Units 12/24) for the past 3 years on a second choice 1st rifle tag. One person in my party was successful the first year we were out there, but we have seen bulls every single year in the same spots. I would say deep snow and other hunters have been the biggest challenges to success. Every year we hiked 4-5 miles into the wilderness and backpack camped regardless of sunshine or snow, I don't mind roughing it.

I am thinking about burning 3 points for an archery elk hunt in Units 12/24 (North of the White River), but I am looking to see if anyone is interested in tagging along. The group of guys that I have been rifle hunting with are not into archery. I feel like I have a good handle on the unit and where the elk are at. If anyone is interested in teaming up and grinding it out, shoot me a message!

I am young and in good shape, willing to put the miles on to get into them.
Hoyt Ag
AG
You and BCO07 should link up. He has all my spots marked on OnX for units 12/23/24. I can try to meet yall out there since I live in Meeker. Email is in my profile if you need any help. For archery, you need to be first on the mountain opening week. Draw a mile circle around Pagoda and Sand Peaks.
harge57
AG
AgDad121619 said:

harge57 said:

AgDad121619 said:

that's for nonresident ? That's seems like an incredible deal if you have the time to hunt both seasons

Yes that is nonresident. Not a deal IMO. You only get one general tag. If you want to hunt in the archery season then you have to pay the extra $70. You essentially get like 2-3 months to hunt, but only one tag. I have not filled my tag during archery and gone back and killed one with a rifle before.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.