Outdoors
Sponsored by

Suppressing 223/556

1,362 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by ghollow
Outdoorag011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is it worth it? It would be used for hog and coyote hunting. 556 is a hot/loud round so I am thinking the other animals will still run after the first shot, right? Is it just a personal preference thing for this round?
drummer0415
AG
Suppressing literally every caliber is worth it.

But yes, pigs and coyotes will still haul ass like illegal street racers getting busted by the cops after you fire your first shot.
ls1aggie09
AG
Suppressed is good for hearing protection. Not for making rounds movie/goldeneye sniper rifle quiet. The round discharges are still audible but about the only round thats like a movie that i have shot is sub .22
schmellba99
AG
Suppressed should be the standard, not the exception.

Outside of subsonic rounds, every rifle round is going to have the sonic boom from the projectile breaking the sound barrier. Which is why they are called "suppressors", because they make the gun less loud, not quiet like a silencer.

At the range, plinking, etc. you still need hearing protection. I've gotten where I wear plugs in the blind now as well, but I"m older and have tinnitus. But I tell you what, it is absolutely wonderful to not have to worry too much if you don't have your ear pro in with a suppressor, and it's great for helping younger kids get into shooting because of the reduced report and recoil.
BenderRodriguez
AG
drummer0415 said:

Suppressing literally every caliber is worth it.

But yes, pigs and coyotes will still haul ass like illegal street racers getting busted by the cops after you fire your first shot.

100% this.
AggieMPH2005
You've already heard from everyone but yes. Hate shooting without it for all calibers.
cledus6150
AG
I suppress everything 22 up to 45-70 and 300wm, the right can will do a good job and save your hearing. If you handload sub sonic rounds you can get sone super quite stuff. But to get Hollywood quite you have to go subs in a 22, so I highly recommend suppressing 5.56/223

malenurse
AG
schmellba99 said:

Suppressed should be the standard, not the exception.

Outside of subsonic rounds, every rifle round is going to have the sonic boom from the projectile breaking the sound barrier. Which is why they are called "suppressors", because they make the gun less loud, not quiet like a silencer.

At the range, plinking, etc. you still need hearing protection. I've gotten where I wear plugs in the blind now as well, but I"m older and have tinnitus. But I tell you what, it is absolutely wonderful to not have to worry too much if you don't have your ear pro in with a suppressor, and it's great for helping younger kids get into shooting because of the reduced report and recoil.
Thank you, schmellba. If only the govt would get their nose out of the suppressor business, more companies would get in the business. More selections, more production means lower prices.

I own many firearms, and I would like to suppress, but I simply cannot afford to .
Gunny456
AG
Good take. Sound wisdom. Hearing loss and tinnitus suck.
SMM48
AG
Yes. But with any supersonic round you should be wearing ear pro anyway.

The benefit of suppression goes further than decibel reduction.

Recoil mgmt. Flash reduction are higher on the list over sound suppression.

With 556 running Surefire 556 rc2 and huxwrx 556flow.

The flow with its flow through design does reduce at the shooters ear. The Surefire. A little louder at the shooters ear does better job suppressing down range.

Personally I care about my hearing vs down range However running ops core and sordin ear pro.
agcot12
AG
Nearly 20 years of running suppressed with night vision hereā€¦ With the reduced muzzle blast, hogs can't seem to pinpoint what direction the sound is coming from as easily and are just as likely to run right at you as opposed to away from you, especially in wide open corn fields where they are not as patterned as say a feeder type setup.
ghollow
AG
I got a suppressor a couple of years ago primarily for my 30-06. My dog hunts in the blind with me and I was more worried about damaging her hearing. Now I can't imagine hunting/shooting without it. It definitely is still loud but the suppressor cuts around 40-45 decibels out of it.

So the greatest civilization is one where all citizens are equally armed and can only be persuaded, never forced. It removes force from the equation... and that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.