Outdoors
Sponsored by

Trail Riding ….. Horses vs. Mules

3,548 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by Gunny456
Gunny456
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ok all knowing OB. Bear with me as I explain. The wife and I have had some excellent trail riding horses for many years. We really enjoy trail riding with friends and nothing like enjoying God's creation on the back of a good horse. In fact, my best praying has been in the saddle.
We had four, dog gentle, kid safe, idiot proof (for me), horses. I could do shooting off of them, ride them in parades, on crowded streets, around the deer and exotics on the ranch etc. without fear of them hurting anybody at anytime.
Over this past year, due mainly to age, we had to put two of our horses down. One of the remaining two is getting age on him and he has a bad arthritis problem.
The other is a healthy good bay Quarter horse gelding.
So we are down to just one capable good safe horse for trail riding.
Over the last 1.5 years we have traveled to Kentucky, Tennessee, Missouri, Oklahoma, and lots of Texas in search of a couple of good Quarter horses. The amount of deception and lies we have been told about horses in our buying journey has been horrendous. Truly exemplifying the unscrupulous word of " Horse Trader".

Last weekend we met some folks on a ride that had mules. They graciously let us ride their two mules for two days and they were outstanding! Better footing, smoother, less spooky etc. About 1/2 of the folks on the ride had mules and really talked them up.
So, I would like any good input on horses vs mules for trail riding.
I relish good Aggie humor….. but if I want a happy wife and then happy life…. I'm in on this….
TIA for input, knowledge.

Oh… we don't care for gaited horses so don't need to bring them into the mix.
dr_boogs
AG
Gunny,

I spent a few summers around saddle, pack, and team/wagon mules of all sizes. I spent time on the backs of hundreds of horses riding easy and challenging trails in my earlier life. Rode the continental divide in Montana, Colorado national forests, and the Ozarks of Missouri as well as many east and west Texas trails. Helped lead packing trips as a wrangler for guests for several summers.

Your intuition / first impression on a good saddle mule is spot on. For trail riding purposes, a good saddle mule beats a horse every single time. They are wired a little differently but are steadier between the ears, have more endurance, and are more sure footed than horses. Their feet hold up better on rough terrain and they just exhibit hybrid vigor of the donkey cross.

My favorite saddle mule was Jake, who I rode in Texas and Missouri. I'm not sure if I've got a photo of our time together but I'll try and find one. That was 1994-6 or thereabouts and not sure I've got any photos left. Just the memories which will be with me forever.
Gunny456
AG
Just the input I needed! Man how cool on your riding. We have just ridden in Texas, Oklahoma and the Ozarks.
We are really leaning that way (toward mules) just don't know where to start. We are olds so gotta try and make good decisions as we don't bounce like we used to!
There are not words to thank you for your input. I highly respect your opinion. Do you still ride anymore?
In our experience a horse does not seem to develop horse sense till he's 7-8 years old. Are mules the same or are do they have a brain younger?
Would love to see pictures of Jake if you find them!
Mr. Frodo
AG
Kit Carson agrees … mule > horse.
Jason_InfinityRoofer
Yikes. Traveling out of state and that often seems quite a pricey proposition for animals that could be had locally if you have a little time to search. We've sourced all of ours locally in Texas, but they are also all working animals. We utilize our trusted rescue frequently. Our BEST horses came from the horse rescue. My diaighter generally evaluates and then trains them for what she needs/wants in the animal.

That said, I believe the advice above is probably the best for your intended purpose. I think you got that side sorted so I'll tell you a story…

for the horse trading world, that is EXACTYL why we utilize rescue animals. It's not for the uninitiated. You need to trust the facility, your gut, your vet, etc. The very first horse we bought was out of Bastrop from a guy that had a good buckskin. We showed up unannounced, I rode him, you could rope off of him, he was bomb proof. We did this a couple of times and decided he was perfect for my (at the time) completely inexperienced 9 year old daughter. When we got him home and tried to saddle him the next day, he lost his damn mind. It took about 4 hours to get him saddled. We couldn't figure it. After a lot of discussion and finally prodding, the seller finally admitted that "a good horse like him just needs a daily dose of ace."

So there you go. He sold me a horse knowing he was dangerous, and knowing my inexperienced daughter was going to ride him, and let me buy him without any knowledge of that. I have his AQHA papers and all.

My daughter worked with that horse for a long time. He threw her a bunch, he threw me a bunch, and finally came to trust us but he'll spook out of the blue. Fortunately she was never injured and getting tossed only made her want to work with horses more. She's now gone from western to English and competes regular.

Anyway, horse people are crazy, traders are crooks, everyone is a "trainer", and everyone knows more than you when it comes to the horse world.

Good luck with your search. Just thought your comment on traders was funny and unfortunately dead on.

And finally since you may appreciate it, you should look up The Horse Trade poem. You may have even posted it here somewhere but if not, it's worth a read, you'll get it. Lol.
Gunny456
AG
Thank you sir. We actually got three rescue horses a number of years back. My wife grew up on horses and is a good rider. I am not. She and a good trainer in Kerrville worked with those horses and she had them all good. We sold all three but two of the three went to good friends of ours who we ride with. They offered to sell us one of the horses back but he is 23 now. Afraid we would be paying vet bills in few years.
My bride says she is too old to be on bucking horses and our good friend trainer retired ( he is an old too.)
Roger that on the horse traders. I could write a small book on some crazy experiences we have had as of late.
People will look you dead in the eye and lie to you.
The most common term we hear is " Well holy hell, I ain't never seen him do that before!! My 5 year old niece just rode him yesterday!!"
Gunny456
AG
Good read! Cool about your daughter. I'll look that poem up. Thank you for your input very much.
RM76
AG
My experience may be of little utility as I have only ridden a saddle mule one time and that was many years ago. However while I was impressed with the comfort and response of the mule at a walk, the lope seemed terribly awkward - much different than horses I've road.
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
A good saddle mule is worth its weight in gold for very rough country.

Worked for one guy that had a ranch in Pandale on the Pecos. The country was so rough with so much slick rock he had a string of saddle mules out there to gather, no horses on the ranch at all. Rounding up Spanish goats on mules is one of my most favorite memories growing up. Those animals are absolutely amazing. Stubborn & quirky, but amazing.

There is an Ag from the Red River bottoms country in North Texas that is a hell of a mule man. He trains absolutely bomb proof mules you can shoot off of and do anything in the world on. Pretty impressive work he does with them. Cody Hess from Lindsay, TX.
Gunny456
AG
Thank you. I will reach out to him. Much obliged!
Gunny456
dr_boogs
AG
My mule connections are 20-25 years old but I've sent a couple texts to them to see about saddle mules for purchase.

Struck out on one……

Will post later if I get any other leads.
Maverick06
AG
This is Mula (aka The Mountain GOAT). I've ridden and led her up to the divide on many occasions. She's the most sure footed animal in the pack. We usually take 3 horses and 1 mule elk hunting every year. I always try to get Mula as my ride (doesn't always work out depending on how much we're lacking in).

The bull on her back is my first ever bull and first ever archery kill. She's packed lots of bulls off those mountains.

Wodanaz
AG
Some good info here:
https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/any-suggestions-on-where-to-buy-a-fully-saddle-mule.49147/
Since my rodeo days are behind me, my next mount will be a nice Molly mule.
Mas89
AG
An Aggie friend has mules he raises and takes hunting in Colorado and New Mexico from Se Tx.
He goes to a mule sale every year in Ada, Oklahoma.
Apache
AG
Rode a mule for many miles on my elk hunt a few years back. Very sure footed, felt much safer than riding a horse.

One thing though, if a mule gets pissed at you they will purposefully try to knock you off by walking under low hanging branches!
McInnis
AG
Yep. The old saying, "a horse will kill you by accident, if a mule kills you it's on purpose ".
country
AG
All of the Adams's here in Junction that grew up in Big Bend (Doug, Preston, Apache) say there is nothing better than a mule in the mountains. Way more sure footed and way more cool and collected when unexpected things happen. Apache Adams said he didn't ride more than 10 horses in his life in the mountains. Those guys have the most real world experience of anyone I know of. Just threw that out as I would imagine you met one or all of those guys during your time here.
Gunny456
AG
Thank you!
Gunny456
Gunny456
AG
Think they just had that sale. I didn't know about it.
Gunny456
AG
Thank you all of you guys that replied. Great info all!
I hope I can return the favor someday.
Hoyt Ag
AG
I ran mules when I outfitted. A couple of the guys are using alpacas which is ideal to pack **** out with.
Gunny456
AG
I don't know if I can sell the wife on trail riding on an alpaca. .
Hoyt…. I have not forgot to send the email. Our email by satellite and it has been fubar this weekend.
Hoyt Ag
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
Hoyt Ag said:

I ran mules when I outfitted. A couple of the guys are using alpacas which is ideal to pack **** out with.

I thought the new rage was pack goats?!

Gunny456
AG
My goodness! Take one hell of big goat to carry my butt!
GinMan
AG
Mules>horses
Very sure footed
We use mules when I coon hunt with my father in law in Louisiana.
Swampy land in the pitch of darkness with fallen timber and uneven ground with creek bottoms. Thick vegetation with a lot of switch cane in your face.
It's not the mountains but it's challenging nonetheless.
They don't run horses at night coon hunting.
StockHorseAg
AG
I think mules are good animals for packing and trail riding. My old manager had some that he used for packing and talked highly of them. I think they are better than horses for that job.

As a side note, mules run in my family. That is my Great Grandpas mule that JFK is riding in this picture.
ranchag04
AG
Apache said:

Rode a mule for many miles on my elk hunt a few years back. Very sure footed, felt much safer than riding a horse.

One thing though, if a mule gets pissed at you they will purposefully try to knock you off by walking under low hanging branches!

Have had horses that do this too.
Tecolote
AG
Gunny456 said:

My goodness! Take one hell of big goat to carry my butt!
When I was around 4-5 years old, my friends and I would ride our goats (well, more like miniature bull riders). It was a blast until one with long horns was very angry and got my behind pretty busted up while I was on the ground. Learned I wasn't going to be a bronc or bull rider in my future.
Tecolote
AG
ranchag04 said:

Apache said:

Have had horses that do this too.
We had a horse that would do this. Head straight to the barn where the clearance of the one entrance was only a foot above the back of the horse. You were going on the ground when she got mad.
Gunny456
AG
Holy Cow! Or should I say Holy Goat?
Glad you were ok.
dr_boogs
AG
Grandpa bought us a shetland pony when I was a kid. Thought he loved us but turned out he must have seen things differently. She used a mesquite tree to ditch me when I was 10-12 or so. I pulled back on the reins as hard as I could but she outwilled me. Mesquite thorn scratches all over my neck and face and off the back I went.

Despised that pony from that day forward.

For trail riding:

Mule>>>BLM mustang>>>>Horse>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.shetland pony
Mesquite Bean
Thump Witcher '73, Honey Grove, TX, Good Mule Man. Can probably put you on a good one....
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.