Outdoors
Sponsored by

Your favorite push mower

3,427 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by aggieforester05
madcuz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Honda
Ducks4brkfast
AG
mtngoat3006 said:

A Honda HRX217VKA self propelled mower is quite possibly the best gas powered land mower on the residential market for small to medium yards. Buy once, cry once at $799 from Home Depot. You will not be disappointed!
That's the one I have. Ran it completely out of oil once. Filled it back up. Did a couple quick oil changes. Hasn't skipped a beat.
KRamp90
AG
That's the one I have. You'll love it!
aggieforester05
AG
I use a Snapper Commercial High Vac with a 4hp Wisconsin Robin 2-cycle engine. Works great and no oil changes but it's at least 20 years old, so they've been out of production for awhile.
BlueSmoke
Anything my son uses and I don't have to mess with
Nobody cares. Work Harder
ENG
AG
My Husqvarna push mower with a Honda engine I bought like 10 years ago is a beast.

I just looked at their website and it looks like they are getting out of the push mowers business.
So....that was probably zero help
texags08
AG
I have a cub cadet gas that is self propelled.

The biggest feature I would say to get is one with casters on the front. Regardless of gas or electric this is a game changer. Very maneuverable.

I have an older version of this I got almost 10 years ago.

scd88
AG
I have two Honda's - one for my St Augustine front yard and a newer one with a rear bagger for my Tif Tuf Bermuda back yard. Honda's are awesome.
HumpitPuryear
AG
ENG said:

My Husqvarna push mower with a Honda engine I bought like 10 years ago is a beast.

I just looked at their website and it looks like they are getting out of the push mowers business.

This is the one I have. About 2013 vintage. I've abused the hell out of it and it won't die.
Max Power
AG
ENG said:

Same, I think mine is about the same age. Regardless of the manufacturer just get something with a good engine on it. Hard to beat Honda in terms of reliability.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I mowed with the EGO battery powered mower for the first time yesterday. I really liked it. Way lighter, plenty of power, less noise, and don't have to mess with gas.
Gilligan
AG
KRamp90 said:

I have the EGO self propelled and like it a lot.
One of the worst purchases of my life. You'll grow to hate it.

The connection gets loose and I have to reseat the battery several times.

It fully charges and when I start it up one level is already gone. I have had mine a couple of years.

It leaves random blades of grass uncut. In my research it's because the battery powered mowers don't have suction / updraft like an ICE mower that pulls the grass up into the mowing blades.

EGO is a chicom company / product that says they're from Canada.

My solution is to mow 1/2 the yard. Edge and weed eat and then finish mowing.

One advantage is I don't feel bad if I mow before sunrise or late in the evening / after dark since no one can hear me and I can listen to my music.

Gilligan
AG
Does anyone has a rec for a wide deck push mower?
Furlock Bones
AG
I bought a Honda based on how good they were growing up. Mine has been an absolute pile of

Maybe the 400plus price point wasn't high enough back in 2017.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Lowes is running a deal now where you get an extra battery with your purchase.
amg405
AG
Does anyone have thoughts on this one?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/EGO-POWER-56-volt-21-in-Self-propelled-Lawn-Mower-Cordless-Lawn-Mower-6-Ah-Battery-Charger-Included/5013742993
txags92
AG
amg405 said:

Does anyone have thoughts on this one?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/EGO-POWER-56-volt-21-in-Self-propelled-Lawn-Mower-Cordless-Lawn-Mower-6-Ah-Battery-Charger-Included/5013742993
I am not sure if you can run the "Select Cut" dual blade system on that one or not. It is showing single blade on the photos with it. For $100 more, you can get one with the dual blade select cut and a 7.5 Ah battery instead of the 6 Ah that comes with that one. EGO POWER+ Select Cut 56-volt 21-in Cordless Self-propelled Lawn Mower 7.5 Ah (1-Battery and Charger Included) in the Cordless Electric Push Lawn Mowers department at Lowes.com $599, regularly $749. From what I read before I bought mine, the dual blade system is a cleaner cut and does better mulching than the single blade, but I don't have direct comparison to prove it.
justnobody79
AgResearch said:

Honda self propelled or Toro personal pace. Gas.
biggest piece of crap mower I have ever used. says "guaranteed to start" on the side. wouldn't start after 3 uses. took it in and they said it must be bad gas that I put in it. when it wouldn't start I put the same gas in my old lawnmower and it started on the first crank. after getting it back 3 months later it was leaking fuel from the carb while running. back in the shop now getting that worked on. when it does start it doesn't do semi thick or semi tall grass worth a damn, always stalling out even if I go slow or take a half cut.
91AggieLawyer
AG
If you have gas trimming/blowing tools, I recommend you look for a Toro Commercial 2 cycle mower on FB Marketplace or CL. One in good shape might be hard to find and they'll set you back about the same price of a new Honda at HD (if you can find one as I think those are discontinued). But I LOVE mine. It is sometimes a little finicky on starting but it WILL start. I use the same mixture of gas (50:1) that I use in my Echo tools. I put a Oregon mulcher blade on it and while it isn't the greatest mulching mower (it will mulch leaves, but they have to be on top of the lawn), it does a fairly decent job. For everything else, it works fantastic. And it will last longer than any listed mower on here in spite of the fact that mine is over 25 years old!

No oil changes, no need to worry about gunking up the carb as long as you run it dry, and a gas tank almost as big as the one in a small car!

Drawbacks: it is a little loud and pushing it around (mine isn't self propelled; some are) can be tiring as the deck is solid and heavy steel.
jagsdad
This. As far as I'm concerned, Favorite and push lawn mower does not compute.
aggieforester05
AG
I thought I was the only one still using a 2 cycle lawn mower.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.