Outdoors
Sponsored by

Which style grubber would you use?

1,592 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by Gunny456
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The HiFlow Cat 299D3 I ordered is arriving from the factory this week. Will be pushing brush with it for the EQIP contract I got, but will also be using a grubber to help clear brush when not pushing. The shop I have found locally has two different style grubber attachments, one drop style and one long/straight nosed style. Have an excavator leased to get the big stuff out, so this will mainly be for small stuff.

Those of you that have grubbed with a track loader, which style would you use/prefer?

96ags
AG
Prefer a beefier version of the 2nd one. One preferably with some window/door protection.
Gunny456
AG
I rented one to use on my JD333. It was similar in design to your top picture. Then I bought a Danuser Intimidator Tree Puller.
It can be closed and used as a grubber like your bottom picture.
I found with the longer grubber I had much more leverage than the short coupled one. Plus I could see it better.
And it had the door/cab guard.

ETA: I ordered my JD with the rear counter weights. I had rented a similar size Kubota and found that using the tree shear, grubber and tree puller it was an asset to have all the rear weight.
JD05AG
AG
Made in Brady.
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
I've heard mixed reviews on those. Have you personally used one? Seems like a really awesome concept.
JD05AG
AG
Yeah I've used them. They work well and being 2 tools in one saves time. Sold a bunch of them down in St Lawrence. Talk to Cole, he'd probably let you demo his.
confucius_ag
AG

I have one like this. Works great with a little moisture in the ground, not so well in hard pan clay. Our sandy ground it works great. Works well on cedars as long as they are no bigger than 6" diam or so. Cut roots on 3 sides then push over.
96ags
AG

This is very similar to the one we have. I'd be afraid that several of the ones posted on here would be a little too light weight for our country especially if it is dry.
Ag97
AG
If you can afford it, I would get a tree puller like the intimidator as was mentioned above. I think you get more of the root systems out without cutting or tearing them and can also shake the loose soil off of the roots as well without them falling out like with a grubber.
fullback44
AG
I have a brand new grubber (used once) w hydraulic grabber to move the trees and a 90" brand new 7way blade I will sell if someone is interested …both from idig.. blade is brand new not even used one time
mhnatt
Curious to your choice on the Cat 299D3. I'm looking at a Kubota SVL75-3 this weekend but still kicking tires (or tracks as you might say). Any particular feature(s) that drew you to Cat or is it more of a good service shop nearby?
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
Number 1 reason was the 0% financing for 48 months Cat is offering right now. I looked at Kubota for a while but the closest dealer is 90 miles away from me, so service and parts would be a pain to deal with if something popped up.

I pissed off a bud that runs the Yellowhouse dealership here, bc I didn't buy a JD, but their rates are currently somewhere around 4.5%, and that adds up with the price of new equipment these days.
Gunny456
AG
Saw your post and thought I would share my journey of buying my JD Skidsteer. First the man who cleared all our cedar on our hill country ranch swore by Case. He used a tree shear and grapple on it. He had a business doing it called "Texas Tree Shear". He was also my neighbor. He went through 3 Case's in around 10 years. He was a CASE guy. The first two machines were great but the third one was down constantly and he eventually sold it. I gave Case a shot but they would not even take the time to return my phone calls so marked them off my list.
Went to TAM with a Ewald that owns Ewald Tractor who is a Kubota dealer so I demoed one of their cab track machines. Nice machine but my mom's cousin uses a Kubota for his paving company in the area and I figured he would shoot straight with me on his evaluation of his machine. He bought the machine brand new. He had lots of issues with the cab door sealing correctly on it and he had continuing mechanical issues with the fold up door and AC/ issues. Maybe they have improved on that as this was three years ago.
I liked the machine I demoed but the AC just did not get very cold and the door did leak a lot of dust around it so I marked it off the list.
Good Aggie friend at church owned a Bobcat dealership, and also one of my close promotional team fisherman was also an Aggie that worked as the store manager at RDO JD dealer in SA. They both gave me new machines to demo at the ranch for a week. Both cab machines and both wheel machines.
I did not like the Bobcat because the air intake for the AC was down low between the two wheels and it picked up dust badly. The AC also was not very cold…. Again because the door seal was not real positive. I also did not like that the engine was turned sideways and a belt drove all the pumps and the chain drive for the wheels was horrendous to service. Marked them off the list.
The JD was conventional direct drive and the cab was the easiest to raise for service and it allowed total access to service of everything under the cab. Also hands down the JD had the best cold AC and best sealing door and no dust found its way into the cab for the most part. The JD also had some cool software features that really allowed customization of how you use your particular machine that no other brands had at the time.
I did not consider CAT as the dealer in my area had the reputation as being very hard to work with and that CAT parts seemed very expensive due to the name.
I also demoed a New Holland but again the dealer acted like he could care less about selling me a machine and did not even give me a quote.
I ended up getting the JD. Have had it for three years and not one issue ever. Even the original battery is still good. AC stays extremely cold and the cab stays dust free for the most part. RDO and Dogett machinery are great dealers and were a pleasure to work with.
My go too road and brush guy in the Ozarks has a CAT track cab machine that he uses really hard. He likes it but works on it a lot….. he bought it new. He does use it hard though. His real dislike of it is the AC system. It just never has really cooled the machine on hot days. He has used my JD and says there is no comparison between it and the CAT as far as AC.
He has lots of equipment and has Kubota for his small excavators but CAT for his big Excavator and Skidsteer and bulldozer and JD for his large track loader. He feels that each company excels in certain pieces of equipment that they are good at but that no company builds every piece of equipment perfectly.
Personally I think they all have positives and negatives… just depends which one has the best local dealer and which machine checks the most boxes for things that YOU think are important.
Well that's my nickels worth. Now watch, my JD will blow up tomorrow!
Gunny456
AG
This
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
From someone that has owned & rented every brand of skid steers, here is how I rank them:

1. Kubota SVL97 and SVL75-3
2. Cat 299
3. ASV
4. Takeuchi
5. John Deere
6.. Case
7. Bobcat

Industrial construction is a lot harder on them then 99% of yall will be. We put between 3000 to 4000 hours before we sell and/or trade them in.Just like any equipment, as long as you grease it, perform the proper preventative maintenance & shut it down at the 1st sign of issues then they will run great.
mhnatt
Thanks Gunny. Good intel!

So Kubota recently released their version 3 skidsteer and they supposedly have redesigned a ton of stuff including a "positive pressure" cab that is one piece (vs panels in the old one) is so tight your ears feel it. And now one of the quietest (I think 72 db). A little faster, stronger too and the engine and service layout is easy to get to. They redid the software and controls with a large display. Not sure how it will compare but I'm going to look at it Saturday and will also give the JD and Case a fair look now that I hear of y'all's experience.
Gunny456
AG
Very sound wisdom.
Gunny456
AG
Sounds outstanding.
I will admit I was somewhat biased against Kubota after the FTC in 2024 made them pay $2 mil. For falsely stating some stuff was made in the USA when in fact is was not.
But that does not change the fact they build good stuff no matter.
Japanese build good stuff….. IE. YAMAHA, Toyota, etc.
96ags
AG
I've got a nephew that welds up the Kubota skid steer frames up in Kansas and he seems to really like them. And, he's a welder so he normally *****es about everything!
Gunny456
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.