Outdoors
Sponsored by

Gotta little story for ya, Ags - Alex meets Mike Rowe

10,965 Views | 128 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by Snow Monkey Ambassador
MasonB
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mike Rowe is in OKC tonight as part of his work promoting Oklahoma Oil & Natural Gas.

We went to an event he was at tonight, just hoping to listen to him on stage, but Alex brought him an Okie School of Adventure cap just on the off chance we got to meet him.

When we walked in the venue, I noticed a VIP only sign pointing up the stairs and figured that's where he would be and our chances of giving him the cap would be slim.

Alex was the youngest in the place by far and he sat patiently sipping his water in a room full of people with cocktails networking and visiting.

An hour goes by and I happen to look in the back corner of the room and Mike Rowe is there taking pictures with a dozen or so other people around. I point him out to Alex and he timidly but steadily walked over there with the cap in hand.

Being autistic, waiting for his turn and finding the right moment to interject himself into a conversation doesn't come easily to him. He kept looking to me for reassurance as I kept my seat 30 feet away.

Then it was his turn and he handed him the cap and whipped out a business card and the two of them chatted while I stepped in close enough to take a picture.

And with that, I thought it was over and we went back to our seats.

A couple of minutes later, an assistant comes over to us and said, "Mike has some questions about this Okie School stuff and would like you to come back".

So of course we did, this time sharing more about what we do and why we do it.

Mike took out his own phone to get pictures with Alex for himself.

Later in the evening, when Mike walked on stage, he was wearing the Okie School cap. Better still, halfway into his interview he introduced Alex to the crowd and told them Alex's story and how that fits with Mike Rowe works and Dirty Jobs and as an example of the good things he sees in Oklahoma.

After the show, Alex had dozens of people come up and want to talk to him.

The whole thing was incredible, but my favorite part was thinking how at age 3, Alex could barely speak. Now he is interacting with a famous personality and a room full of adults and doing better than me.

He has worked so hard to get this far and so many people have encouraged us along the way. Many from on TexAgs...so I just had to share this with y'all.

Thanks for being supporters and cheerleaders for my son. It means more than I could ever express.

dubi
AG
Good bull!
txags92
AG
Agape91
AG
Inspirational on so many levels. I predict this gets Alex a lot more eyes on his channel. So glad he had this experience.
Hwy30East
That is really cool!
DDSO
AG
Very cool.
FIDO*98*
AG
I just finished listening to Tucker Carlson's interview with Rowe. Made me like him even more and this just confirms he's the genuine article
AJ02
AG
I love this so much!!!

I will have to keep my eye out on Mike Rowe's Facebook page and see if he says anything.
TH36
That. Is. Awesome!!!

What a cool thing for your son, so cool! Mike Rowe seems to be a salt of the earth kind of guy and this just confirms that!
GasPasser97
AG
MasonB, you are a hell of a father.

I think your son is meant for big things…all because of what you are doing.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
This is awesome! Y'all post some really cool content and you're obviously a great father, because your son is one hell of a kid!
txrancher69
AG
As I have told you many times before, you are doing a fantastic job of raising your son. He is to the point now that autistic almost doesn't come into play,
So three conspiracy theorists walk into a bar.................You can't convince me that's a coincidence.
MasonB
AG
It's not an exaggeration to say that billionaires were waiting to speak with him and he made them wait so he could talk to Alex.

Dude is the real deal.
18 USC 3056 Ag
AG
GasPasser97 said:

MasonB, you are a hell of a father.

I think your son is meant for big things…all because of what you are doing.

Well played dad. Very well played. Alex will remember today for decades to come. Long after good people like Mike are shining light on the true good people left in America. Alex learned and felt tonight what it takes to be a good man. I tip my hat to you.

And jealous I'm in OKC and wasn't there to witness and support!
Fore warned is fore armed.
MasonB
AG
That's quite a compliment to say the autism almost doesn't come into play.

But even more impressive is when you realize how hard Alex works to overcome it.

When we eat out, I make him order for himself. I have for years. But to this day he practices what he is going to say before the waitress comes. He practices what he is going to say before most interactions. The biggest exception is when he is giving someone a gift, because he is just kind hearted that way. So we give lots of gifts because it puts him at ease.

And I appreciate the kind comments about me being a good dad. I hope I live up to them. It's been a hard road and kind word of encouragement does wonders - and my fellow ags have been a blessed source of that.

Sincere thanks.
18 USC 3056 Ag
AG
MasonB said:

That's quite a compliment to say the autism almost doesn't come into play.

But even more impressive is when you realize how hard Alex works to overcome it.

When we eat out, I make him order for himself. I have for years. But to this day he practices what he is going to say before the waitress comes. He practices what he is going to say before most interactions. The biggest exception is when he is giving someone a gift, because he is just kind hearted that way. So we give lots of gifts because it puts him at ease.

And I appreciate the kind comments about me being a good dad. I hope I live up to them. It's been a hard road and kind word of encouragement does wonders - and my fellow ags have been a blessed source of that.

Sincere thanks.

Please don't forget I'm here and willing, wanting and able to help and talk if you see fit, dad. I'm proud of Alex.
Fore warned is fore armed.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I had no idea he was autistic until this post today... you've got a great kid!
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

I had no idea he was autistic until this post today... you've got a great kid!
This here. Great job by your family and you have every right to be immensely proud. I might wet myself if I got to meet Mike like that. He could save this country if people would embrace his philosophy.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
aggieland09
AG
Very cool. Thanks for sharing. Good job there dad
Apache
AG
That's a great story, one you & your son will remember forever!

Anyone interested in Mike Rowe's backstory should listen to his interview on Tim Ferris's podcast.
Dude was an opera singer at one point! He's had a crazy life.
rally-cap
AG
I've always hoped Mike was the real deal - everything I've ever seen of him has led me to believe that, but this just solidified it.

As a new father myself, I am taking notes - thank you for setting an incredible example of what it means to be a good dad. That's something I struggled with while my wife was pregnant, I didn't grow up in a house with a dad who was there every day. I had great father figures in my life, but none that was present every day when I woke up and when I went to bed. So I'm always looking for examples to follow, and thank you for giving me another!
ENG
AG
Thank you so much for sharing. Reading this made my day complete, it is only 8 am. I can't imagine how incredibly blessed your son is for experiencing this kind of situation. With that being said, Mike Rowe is blessed and incredibly lucky meeting your son.

Now, where can we get one of those caps??!!
aggiederelict
This is beyond good bull. This is great bull. Well done sir.
AustinCountyAg
well done dad, and well done Alex. So awesome to see stories like this.
txags92
AG
ENG said:

.Now, where can we get one of those caps??!!
+1 on this!
Ag87H2O
AG
Well done dad. From all accounts, you are doing exactly what good dads do. Loving your son and helping him to learn, but keeping high expectations and giving him the freedom to do for himself.

This thread should be POTD and stickied to the top of every forum so parents can read how to do it the right way.
AZAG08
AG
I love reading all your posts about Alex, this one was awesome!
ObviousLazyRiverIsObvious
MasonB said:

Mike Rowe is in OKC tonight as part of his work promoting Oklahoma Oil & Natural Gas.

We went to an event he was at tonight, just hoping to listen to him on stage, but Alex brought him an Okie School of Adventure cap just on the off chance we got to meet him.

When we walked in the venue, I noticed a VIP only sign pointing up the stairs and figured that's where he would be and our chances of giving him the cap would be slim.

Alex was the youngest in the place by far and he sat patiently sipping his water in a room full of people with cocktails networking and visiting.

An hour goes by and I happen to look in the back corner of the room and Mike Rowe is there taking pictures with a dozen or so other people around. I point him out to Alex and he timidly but steadily walked over there with the cap in hand.

Being autistic, waiting for his turn and finding the right moment to interject himself into a conversation doesn't come easily to him. He kept looking to me for reassurance as I kept my seat 30 feet away.

Then it was his turn and he handed him the cap and whipped out a business card and the two of them chatted while I stepped in close enough to take a picture.

And with that, I thought it was over and we went back to our seats.

A couple of minutes later, an assistant comes over to us and said, "Mike has some questions about this Okie School stuff and would like you to come back".

So of course we did, this time sharing more about what we do and why we do it.

Mike took out his own phone to get pictures with Alex for himself.

Later in the evening, when Mike walked on stage, he was wearing the Okie School cap. Better still, halfway into his interview he introduced Alex to the crowd and told them Alex's story and how that fits with Mike Rowe works and Dirty Jobs and as an example of the good things he sees in Oklahoma.

After the show, Alex had dozens of people come up and want to talk to him.

The whole thing was incredible, but my favorite part was thinking how at age 3, Alex could barely speak. Now he is interacting with a famous personality and a room full of adults and doing better than me.

He has worked so hard to get this far and so many people have encouraged us along the way. Many from on TexAgs...so I just had to share this with y'all.

Thanks for being supporters and cheerleaders for my son. It means more than I could ever express.

Fantastic! Love this story. Sidenote: the first photo kinda looks AI generated if you look at Mike's 3 visible fingers on his right hand.
fightintxag13
AG
Great job, Alex! That is a really awesome story!

You're doing a great job, Dad!
water turkey
Super cool
cevans_40
AG
This is awesome
Howdy Dammit
AG
This is fantastic.
spencerdhg
AG
That is beyond cool! What a neat experience!
clinte234
AG
Another awesome story from Alex and Mason! Thanks for sharing!

I have listened to quite a few of Mike Rowe's podcasts. He is definitely a fascinating guy and truly seems so genuine. The way he communicates his thoughts is incredible.

He posts about his interactions with "everyday Americans" all the time on social media. I wouldn't be surprised if he makes a post about Alex...if he got permission.

Thanks as always for sharing with us, Mason!
Gilligan
AG
Great Job! Good for Alex he has a heck of story and so does Mike Rowe.

Have never met Mike, but follow him and he's an amazing person from what I can tell.

again, Great Job!
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.