Walnut Burl Table
2,947 Views | 18 Replies
agrams
11:13p, 4/24/24
I delivered this a few months ago, just never got around to posting it. A big burl table to go with 2 others I previously made for the same office of a an Aggie.

the slab:

tape up the back to seal it:

so i could flood the front with epoxy:

even after sanding down, there were still a lot of small defects that needed cleaning out/filling. This is probably the most tedious slab I have ever worked with. I probably did this check/pick out/epoxy/dry 24 hours/sand down excess epoxy then repeat 10+ times:

I finally got most of them taken care of to my satisfaction, but i still sprayed a few coats of finish, sanded them down and resprayed to really fill in any small defects. It wasn't perfectly flawless (which i am ok with some character showing through) but i didn't want it rampant with small spots and certainly didn't want any that were big enough that writing on a piece of paper on top would have been an issue.

You can see the small defects. This was pre-sanding/refinishing. I probably got rid of 80% of them from what you see here.

finally good enough i was happy:

a walnut base:

I found a guy in the Czech Republic who makes custom metal emblems, so i upped my game and ordered a hundred of them to start using on projects. I saw someone last year have them on the side of some cutting boards. The boards were average in my opinion, but i thought the metal logo looked sharp as hell.
ShouldastayedataTm
11:18p, 4/24/24
Gorgeous, it is a dream of mine to one day own a piece of your work. The emblem just adds so much more to the classiness of your work.
SPF250
5:18a, 4/25/24
Stunning work. Blacktail Studio has over 330 million views on YouTube. I think you're better.
GrammFamily
5:42a, 4/25/24
Courtesy Flush
6:57a, 4/25/24
Someone ask for a ballpark figure how much a table like that would sell for so that I don't have to.
agrams
8:25a, 4/25/24
In reply to Courtesy Flush
slab prices can range wildly depending on thickness and character. Roughly speaking, round slabs in the 50-60" diameter range run in the 2-4k range, and depending on base style/material and how much work the top needs, you can estimate another .5-1x of the slab price to finish it out.

after mid 50" size on round slabs, the price goes up like a rocket. I've easily seen slabs push 5-8k depending on how solid and figured they are.
SoulSlaveAG2005
8:50a, 4/25/24
Can I buy 3 of those tags to place on your work pieces from years past?
MCPO_Aggie
7:34p, 4/25/24
In reply to agrams
can you pass me the info on the guy who made the metal signs for you?
S.A. Aggie
7:52p, 4/25/24
Drooling. That is fantastic!!!
aggiedent
8:23p, 4/25/24
In reply to SoulSlaveAG2005
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

Can I buy 3 of those tags to place on your work pieces from years past?

I was about to ask the same thing!! They look really nice.
Good decision A G!!!!!
agrams
11:18p, 4/25/24
In reply to MCPO_Aggie
https://www.etsy.com/shop/vonHanke/sold?ref=profile_header
Average Joe
12:29a, 4/26/24
Damn, that's nice! I'm definitely not high class enough for something sweet like that because my first thought was how many great games of 42 I could play on that thing while enjoying a nice bourbon and great friends.
Rattler12
7:53a, 4/26/24
In reply to agrams
agrams said:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/vonHanke/sold?ref=profile_header
Whats the brand name of the tape that you used on backside and sides? Is there much leakage?
mwm
8:13a, 4/26/24
In reply to agrams
Your work reminds me so much of my dad. He (like you) could do anything with wood. Thanks for sharing and the memories.
RM76
9:55a, 4/26/24
Great looking piece, thanks for sharing!
Snow Monkey Ambassador
10:07a, 4/26/24
In reply to agrams
I want an emblem to screw onto my desk!
jpb1999
10:31a, 4/26/24
In reply to agrams
agrams said:

slab prices can range wildly depending on thickness and character. Roughly speaking, round slabs in the 50-60" diameter range run in the 2-4k range, and depending on base style/material and how much work the top needs, you can estimate another .5-1x of the slab price to finish it out.

after mid 50" size on round slabs, the price goes up like a rocket. I've easily seen slabs push 5-8k depending on how solid and figured they are.
Interesting. We have some black walnut trees and and at least one of them has a huge burl not near the base. Not sure how wide it is though and probably not that wide, but not sure. I wondered how much that tree would be worth.

Spane Bohem

awo02
12:11p, 4/26/24
I always enjoy seeing your work, its always so well done.
rock08
4:08p, 4/26/24
Wow! Well done.
Reminds me of my grandpas candy dish as a kid.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings