Outdoors
Sponsored by

Walnut Burl Table

2,648 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by rock08
agrams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I delivered this a few months ago, just never got around to posting it. A big burl table to go with 2 others I previously made for the same office of a an Aggie.

the slab:

tape up the back to seal it:

so i could flood the front with epoxy:

even after sanding down, there were still a lot of small defects that needed cleaning out/filling. This is probably the most tedious slab I have ever worked with. I probably did this check/pick out/epoxy/dry 24 hours/sand down excess epoxy then repeat 10+ times:

I finally got most of them taken care of to my satisfaction, but i still sprayed a few coats of finish, sanded them down and resprayed to really fill in any small defects. It wasn't perfectly flawless (which i am ok with some character showing through) but i didn't want it rampant with small spots and certainly didn't want any that were big enough that writing on a piece of paper on top would have been an issue.

You can see the small defects. This was pre-sanding/refinishing. I probably got rid of 80% of them from what you see here.

finally good enough i was happy:

a walnut base:

I found a guy in the Czech Republic who makes custom metal emblems, so i upped my game and ordered a hundred of them to start using on projects. I saw someone last year have them on the side of some cutting boards. The boards were average in my opinion, but i thought the metal logo looked sharp as hell.
ShouldastayedataTm
Gorgeous, it is a dream of mine to one day own a piece of your work. The emblem just adds so much more to the classiness of your work.
SPF250
AG
Stunning work. Blacktail Studio has over 330 million views on YouTube. I think you're better.
GrammFamily
Courtesy Flush
AG
Someone ask for a ballpark figure how much a table like that would sell for so that I don't have to.
agrams
AG
slab prices can range wildly depending on thickness and character. Roughly speaking, round slabs in the 50-60" diameter range run in the 2-4k range, and depending on base style/material and how much work the top needs, you can estimate another .5-1x of the slab price to finish it out.

after mid 50" size on round slabs, the price goes up like a rocket. I've easily seen slabs push 5-8k depending on how solid and figured they are.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Can I buy 3 of those tags to place on your work pieces from years past?
MCPO_Aggie
can you pass me the info on the guy who made the metal signs for you?
S.A. Aggie
AG
Drooling. That is fantastic!!!
aggiedent
AG
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

Can I buy 3 of those tags to place on your work pieces from years past?

I was about to ask the same thing!! They look really nice.
Good decision A G!!!!!
agrams
AG
https://www.etsy.com/shop/vonHanke/sold?ref=profile_header
Average Joe
AG
Damn, that's nice! I'm definitely not high class enough for something sweet like that because my first thought was how many great games of 42 I could play on that thing while enjoying a nice bourbon and great friends.
Rattler12
agrams said:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/vonHanke/sold?ref=profile_header
Whats the brand name of the tape that you used on backside and sides? Is there much leakage?
mwm
Your work reminds me so much of my dad. He (like you) could do anything with wood. Thanks for sharing and the memories.
RM76
AG
Great looking piece, thanks for sharing!
Snow Monkey Ambassador
AG
I want an emblem to screw onto my desk!
jpb1999
AG
agrams said:

slab prices can range wildly depending on thickness and character. Roughly speaking, round slabs in the 50-60" diameter range run in the 2-4k range, and depending on base style/material and how much work the top needs, you can estimate another .5-1x of the slab price to finish it out.

after mid 50" size on round slabs, the price goes up like a rocket. I've easily seen slabs push 5-8k depending on how solid and figured they are.
Interesting. We have some black walnut trees and and at least one of them has a huge burl not near the base. Not sure how wide it is though and probably not that wide, but not sure. I wondered how much that tree would be worth.

Spane Bohem

awo02
AG
I always enjoy seeing your work, its always so well done.
rock08
AG
Wow! Well done.
Reminds me of my grandpas candy dish as a kid.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.