Outdoors
Sponsored by

Owls are outdoors

1,844 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by ABATTBQ11
ABATTBQ11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Found this guy for the first time a couple weeks ago on a walk. He let me get really close, around 15'-20', before I decided I wasn't going to get anymore into his personal space. Decent shots for just having a cell phone without any real optical zoom to speak of.

Saw him again yesterday in just about the exact same spot as before. He must really like it here.

On my way back down this path later, I found him again. I knew right where he might be and still had trouble finding him. It's incredible how well they blend in and how still and quiet they can be. If I hadn't known he was there I'd have passed right under him without a clue

Gunny456
AG
Very cool. Thanks for sharing sir.
El Hombre Mas Guapo
AG
Very cool!
AgLA06
AG
Darius is still hanging around our place. His cousins two houses down were venturing out to spread their wings.

zooguy96
I used to work with owls. Screech owls were my favorite. We had one trained to catch a cricket in the air and come back to my glove. I also worked with barn owls, great horned owls, red tailed hawks, bald eagles, Mississippi kites, and various other Raptors.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
ABATTBQ11
AG
My wife has too. She's worked with a barred owl, screeches, a milky eagle owl, a great horned, bald eagles, an African fish eagle, and others raptors. She's also done a lot of work training macaws, a cockatoo, and other birds. She's been really jealous of the pics, and you two would probably get along really well.
cp2011
AG
For those knowledgeable about great horned owls: we're interested in attracting some to hopefully reduce our resident skunk population. I found this info on nest cones (https://nest watch.org/learn/all-about-birdhouses/birds/great-horned-owl/), but had not previously heard of them. Some sites say just cut the bottom out of a large laundry basket. Any suggestions/tips/resources?

Edit for spam filter: remove space between "nest" & "watch" in url
SWCBonfire
AG
Have a nest tree of horned owls in a pecan up along the creek. I have heard that they don't like a lot of attention, so I try to keep my distance. First time I found them I thought there was a damn monkey in the tree - hooting, a limb was shaking, and apparently love was in the air.

Also have a nesting pair of barred owls within a few hundred feet of the house. In the past, I've had them stay perched on a fence post as I've driven right past them on my utv. They are pretty adapted to humans, apparently.

Used to have a family of barn owls in an old tree in my yard. We have some really good owl habitat - mature trees next to open fields in creek/ river bottom country.

No one has confirmed how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop yet, though.
BlueSmoke
cp2011 said:

For those knowledgeable about great horned owls: we're interested in attracting some to hopefully reduce our resident skunk population. I found this info on nest cones (https://nest watch.org/learn/all-about-birdhouses/birds/great-horned-owl/), but had not previously heard of them. Some sites say just cut the bottom out of a large laundry basket. Any suggestions/tips/resources?

Edit for spam filter: remove space between "nest" & "watch" in url
We basically did this. Massive tree on our place. Took the cedar shakes off the roof and outside walls, piled many up as kindling. Animals moved in and so did the owls. I nailed down an old laundry basket up in the tree and sure enough, they built a nest in it.
P.U.T.U
AG
We have those on our trails too, I have seen a few at dusk walking the dog. Cool creatures.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Similar thing happened a few weeks ago on this same trail. There's a fair number of red tailed hawks around, and I hear them calling and see them flying around all the time. As I was getting to my turn around point, I heard some calling really close and caught some movement out of the corner of my eye. I looked up in one of the dead trees and saw this giant hawk with something. I can't tell if he's caught something or what until I see this other hawk's head pop up and the one on top makes some weird calls with some thrusts and flies off. Wife thought it was hilarious when I texted her that I caught a couple of hawks bumping cloacas.
Hehateme1
Thanks, the only thing I like better than pictures of hooters is seeing them personally
AgRyan04
So cool!
AgLA06
AG
Darius right before heading out for the night.

JD05AG
AG

aggiesundevil4
AG
Obligatory - I bet it was a hoot to take those pictures
ThatOneGuy
AG
These barred owls made a nest in my pecan immediately next to my kitchen window. You can't quite see in the nest from inside unfortunately. The owlets fledged last week.

ABATTBQ11
AG
Got some others I'll try to post later, but this guy is pretty awesome

TH36
I had a great horned owl run into the house while the wife and I were laying in bed last night.

I came outside with a spotlight and pistol to inspect and he was sitting on my rod iron fence looking at it. Guess he was after some rodent up against the house. He was cool, really big.
ABATTBQ11
AG
I need to start carrying a camera for better close-ups if this will be a regular thing.

And a couple of these guys were trapped by the dropping water levels of the stream:

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.