Generator oil
787 Views | 11 Replies
SharkinAg
5:08p, 5/2/24
I have a generac xg10000e that I use for backup power during hurricane season. I just serviced it and went to buy replacement oil. The company (of course) recommends using their full synthetic 5w-30. It's almost twice the price of not more than other 5w-30 synthetics. They claim it's made just for generators. Is this really a thing or can I use any 5w-30? I'd hate to go cheap and then be kicking myself after a hurricane knocks out the power.
FatZilla
5:10p, 5/2/24
5w-30 synthetic from Walmart works just fine.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-Full-Synthetic-SAE-5W-30-Motor-Oil-1-Quart/16474420
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-Full-Synthetic-SAE-5W-30-Motor-Oil-5-Quarts/17133942
pull-mark-bird
5:12p, 5/2/24
Yea if you have a Costco near you, when there synthetic goes on sale, it's even cheaper than Walmart.
schmellba99
5:49p, 5/2/24
Their oil meets ILSAC G-5 and API SN specs, same as just about any and all other full synthetics out there. Any good oil will work just fine so long as it meets or exceeds those specifications.
aTm2004
6:13p, 5/2/24
I've been running Mobil1 in mine for 6 years and no issues. It's minimal cost vs some cheaper ones.
RCR06
7:20p, 5/2/24
I run synthectic 5w 30 in my generator as well, lately its been mobil 1. Speaking of that I should probably run my generator and change the oil soon.
SharkinAg
8:01p, 5/2/24
Thank you for answering my question. I didn't think there was a difference but I wanted to be sure. Hurricane season is close. Time to prep.
aTm2004
8:43p, 5/2/24
In reply to SharkinAg
The difference is they make a higher margin on their brand.
SharkinAg
8:46p, 5/2/24
In reply to aTm2004
aTm2004 said:

The difference is they make a higher margin on their brand.

"Quality"
cryption
9:53p, 5/2/24
Air cooled engines need more zinc, example would be a lawnmower engine would need a higher zinc oil that wouldn't be great in a car because of the catalytic converters. I would imagine a generator engine is similar. I would look at the additive pack in their brand oil and I bet it has more zinc
Jason_InfinityRoofer
10:14p, 5/2/24
What does the generator manual say?

Read it. Do that.

This isn't 1953. Oil is oil is oil these days. If it meets spec, it's good. Find the spec from the brand that makes you feel tingly and send it.
fburgtx
9:10a, 5/3/24
In reply to cryption
cryption said:

Air cooled engines need more zinc, example would be a lawnmower engine would need a higher zinc oil that wouldn't be great in a car because of the catalytic converters. I would imagine a generator engine is similar. I would look at the additive pack in their brand oil and I bet it has more zinc

I don't know if they can meet an SN rating if they have additional zinc in it. Might "disqualify" it. Much of the "small engine oil" sold today has an SJ rating. That's the last rating that had elevated znc levels. The zinc isn't really for "air cooled" engines, it's for engines with "flat tappet cams". Provides extra "cushioning" on the cam lobes.

CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings