Rainbow bridge decision
2,090 Views | 13 Replies
combustion artist
7:18a, 5/11/24
What should I be looking for to decide when it is time? My Brittany is 12.5 and has an enlarged heart. She coughs very regularly during the day and it seems worse at night. We walk 4 miles a day and it doesn't bother her at all.
During the day she sleeps most of the time and does seem generally happy. I just wonder how uncomfortable the coughing is and difficulty breathing. When she sleeps her breathing is less than 30 a minute.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
AsburyAg
8:33a, 5/11/24
A few years ago we had a golden and she was slowing down seemingly on a daily basis. Towards the end, I had to help her stand so she could go outside to do her business. Eventually, I had to pick her up and carry her out. About the third or fourth time I had to do that, I was standing with her, waiting. She looked at me and with her eyes said, "This is ridiculous. It's time."

It sounds weird, but that is the truth. She knew and I knew. She just told me with her eyes.
Jack Squat 83
8:54a, 5/11/24
If you are not medicating her, we have had an unexpected turnaround (for the better) with our little inside dog a 15 year old poodle cross. At least a year ago he had a terrible cough day and night that came on pretty quick and they found he had a very enlarged heart.

Our vet wasn't optimistic at all but put him on Pimobendan(Vetmedin?). Now the little guy might cough once every few days (when we're around him), as he stays outside during the day. He is older and tired at night for sure, but since the meds he usually runs around like a puppy barking at the cows, etc and wants to play. If your gal isn't on this I'd definitely check into it. Have said good-bye to a bunch of them over the years, and it's tough but I refuse to let them suffer.
Pretty sure most of you don’t know me.
BartInLA
9:14a, 5/11/24
In reply to Jack Squat 83
I had a Brittany. My compassion extends to you. I really don't have an answer other than are they eating, do they seem in pain, and do they sometimes enjoy life (like do they wag their tail near you.)?
My dog had heart valve problems that could only be slowed down. She died 1.5 years after her diagnosis. I think she would pass out as blood pumping was verily inefficient at times. I believe she had a heart attack with my wife and me present and that gave her some comfort I think.
I have a 4' x 6' fabric above the bed of her standing next to Miss Reveille. She lived to be 14.25 years. She's been to about 3 tailgates on campus.
WestGalvestonAggie
9:36a, 5/11/24
If you can walk 4 miles a day and it "doesn't bother her at all" it's almost certainly not the right time. It's a horrible ****ing decision to make. When it's time, you probably won't need to ask, but your vet will be able to help you decide. It REALLY sucks, but you'll know.
Cromagnum
9:38a, 5/11/24
In reply to AsburyAg
Yeah. Once it gets to where you have go be their locomotion to do routine stuff like potty breaks, it's definitely time.
gonemaroon
11:07a, 5/11/24
If you are walking 4 miles a day it's not the time. Just make sure they are having some enjoyments during the day, if they still are interested in sniffing stuff on walks - if they get fired up for treats - just general dog stuff. If they are interested in dog activities they are still ok.

I had to push mine around in a stroller towards the end but man she'd sit up and smile from ear to ear and watch for stuff even though she was basically blind. When I'd toss her out in a grass patch she'd sniff everything up. She'd bite your fingers off for a treat. It was when that stopped, then it was time.
combustion artist
11:16a, 5/11/24
Thanks for all the feedback. She is in email and vetmedin and does enjoy sniffing, treats etc. still acts like a young Brittany. Her ears and tail definitely still show excitement.
wheelz
6:47p, 5/11/24
Yeah keep enjoying the walks.
Bonfire97
7:02p, 5/11/24
Yeah, I agree with the poster above. Until you have to carry them out to go to the bathroom, keep going!
chet98
7:43a, 5/12/24
Have used something like this in the past and it helps be a little more objective about your dog's situation...good luck OP.

https://lsu.edu/vetmed/veterinary_hospital/quality_of_life_assessment.pdf
BurnetAggie99
9:41a, 5/12/24
As mentioned Pimobendan works very well.
aggie_wes
9:53a, 5/12/24
We had a Brittany that we unfortunately had to put down at 7 due to an aggressive cancer (osteosarcoma). We decided not to treat it due to the location. Anyway, point is we knew her time was coming but didn't know when. She went about 6 months and still played with the kids, ran around the yard some but started slowing down more and more.

One day I couldn't find her and started looking around, and she had laid down in my daughter's room kinda facing the corner, which she had never done before. I got her up and she walked into the kitchen and laid down again and the look in her eyes told me it was time. I had my wife come look at her (didn't mention any of these thoughts to her, just had her come look) and she immediately looked at me and said "it's time".

So all of that to say, if you pay attention, your dog will tell you when it's time if they can. We have never second guessed that we made the right decision to take her that day. I pray you get the same peace.
agvet13
11:15p, 5/12/24
One of the greatest veterinarians I have ever known told our whole class this...
Pick 3 things that she absolutely LOVES doing (playing ball, eating, car rides, sleeping in your bed) whatever it may be... when she can't do 2 of the 3 then it is time. Don't wait for all the favorite things to go before you make that choice. Also know that helping a dog pass on in a controlled non-hectic manner is the greatest gift you can give to your friend who would do absolutely anything for you.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings