Seasoning on the outside of crawfish- a Texas thing?

9,324 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 27 days ago by TyHolden
mgreen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Born and raised in Louisiana eating crawfish at every opportunity. Never in my life have I seen seasoning spice sprinkled on the outside of the crawfish after they were boiled until I moved to Texas. Not trying to be a smart ass but can someone explain to me how that spice is supposed to penetrate that shell and get to the meat after it is cooked? At one local eatery you can order crawfish regular or spicy. Spicy means they spinkle spices on the OUTSIDE of the shell which again has no effect on the meat inside.

Just curious as I am seeing more and more people do this and nobody knows why.
victory
AG
Don't think anybody has ever claimed dry seasoning to penetrate the shell. It's adds much more flavor bc you see you eat crawfish with your hands.. The dry seasoning gets on your hands then in your mouth when you transfer the meat to your mouth.
My in-laws live all over Louisiana and I've never seen crawfish in Louisiana not have at least some dry seasoning on the shell.
mgreen
Interesting thought. I suck the heads and pouring cayanne and other spices on the outside make that almost impossible unless you want your mouth on fire.
victory
AG
lots of people suck the heads and put a dry rub on the outside of their crawfish. I do and I douse my crawfish with either Slap Yo Moma or Swamp Dust once they are in the cooler. Maybe its just the Texans that can handle it.

[This message has been edited by victory (edited 4/12/2013 7:54a).]
mgreen
Not trying to get in a pissing contest but when you sit down and eat four to five pounds at a time, it gets tricky not to have your mouth on fire. Most Texans I eat crawfish with eat a dozen or two and stop. It was a simple question. I also only started seeing this turned in Texas 2-3 years ago.
carpe vinum
AG
I saw a caterer do that a few years ago, and just figured it was a way to do it easier. Never saw it before or since though. We and everyone I know season the water.
violiav
Wolfies puts it on the outside.
Rhinos GB
I've seen both styles and we even created a "Cajun Shaker- for those who like it on top!" It seems to me that those who sprinkle seasoning on top tend to season the water less. I grew up in a "season the water" family so that's what I prefer but our products go both ways! Gunna boil some up again this weekend! "Now Dat's Good!"
Dr Lane Trowlan
'Slap yo Mama'

...that's good stuff
txdragonfly
AG
You have to admit that even in Louisiana, certain dining traditions are regional/localized. Exhibit A: My family puts a big dollop of potato salad in the middle of a bowl of gumbo. We're scattered from Hineston (near Alexandria) to Moss Bluff (near Lake Charles).

We're also spice in the water and spice on the shell, but both doses are fairly liberal. Yes, your mouth does burn, but that's what the corn, potatoes, and ice cold beer are for. I can personally put away 4lbs, but I've seen my mother put away 6 on a good day (I might add that she's a Yankee convert).
GottaRide
S
If you like spicy crawfish but have to sprinkle seasoning on them after they are out of the pot, you aren't doing it right.
victory
AG
The dry seasoning doesn't add all the flavor but it definately adds to it. I soak my crawfish for minimum 30 minutes in swamp dust and cayenne pepper and when I put them in the cooler I sprinkle with Slap Ya Momma.... Great flavor
justalocal
I grew up on the coast, I've never seen anyone put dry seasoning on crawfish after it is boiled. Guess I learned something new.

(To add, I was born and raised on the Texas coast)

[This message has been edited by justalocal (edited 4/12/2013 9:13p).]
justalocal
Duplicate

[This message has been edited by justalocal (edited 4/12/2013 9:11p).]
doubledog
Just to troll a bit. I use crawfish for bait and eat shrimp for a meal
Rex Racer
AG
I dust a little pile of the seasoning on the butcher paper to "dip" my potatoes and crawfish meat in before putting into my mouth. Logic!
mgreen
Rex Racer. Now that makes sense.
Yuccadoo
A 'right way' to prepare crayfish....now there's a concept.

I will say there are wrong ways, though....
crank2573
AG
Also the corn and potatoes need seasoning.
TChaney
What? You don't boil the mud bugs in orange drink?

EliteElectric
txdragonfly said:

My family puts a big dollop of potato salad in the middle of a bowl of gumbo.
Yeah potato salad in gumbo is legit!!!!

Years ago we were at a superbowl party where the (yankee) host was making gumbo for the party. My then 5 yo daughter watching her cook says "when are you going to put the sausage in?" The host replied "this recipe doesn't call for sausage". My daughter said "gumbeaux without spicy cajun sausage is just vegetable soup, sad sad vegetable soup"
TyHolden
AG
My butler takes the meat out and sprinkles seasoning on it for me. I eat it with a fork peasants….
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.