Casa Rods
20,765 Views | 133 Replies
Independence H-D
8:55a, 3/23/23
We frequently go to Navasota for Mexican food. Easier than getting to Bryan from South CS and at least two good options.
MiMi
9:29a, 3/23/23
In reply to toolshed
toolshed said:

Good to know, I didn't realize they had other options than the red and green they being out.
We discovered the spicy salsa when my husband ordered the ribeye street tacos. That dish is served with the spicy red salsa and avocado salsa. We ask for it every time now.
Broncos
9:31a, 3/23/23
In reply to MiMi
Those ribeye street tacos are pretty dang good. It's my typical order there.
halibut sinclair
9:43a, 3/23/23
Used to love Casa Rod and Papa Perez. We like Maria Mia and Lupe Tortilla. Los Cucos in Bryan has some good, non-traditional dishes. La Botana is also good.

RIP Casa Tomas and La Taqueria our 90s faves.
maroon barchetta
9:48a, 3/23/23
In reply to halibut sinclair
halibut sinclair said:

Used to love Casa Rod and Papa Perez. We like Maria Mia and Lupe Tortilla. Los Cucos in Bryan has some good, non-traditional dishes. La Botana is also good.

RIP Casa Tomas and La Taqueria our 80s faves.

FIFme
Spoony Love
9:53a, 3/23/23
I'm going to say this once, and only once, as to preserve the institution but also allow myself easier access.

Go to Tortilleria Mi Tierra on WJB and Congress. Order the Mexicana breakfast taco with beans and rice. You may choose the green or red sauce (mine is the green sauce). You're welcome.

Other options are good as well. It is an advantage if you can order en espanol.
trouble
9:53a, 3/23/23
In reply to Spoony Love
Stop telling the secrets
Spoony Love
10:02a, 3/23/23
In reply to trouble
trouble said:

Stop telling the secrets
Is that better
trouble
10:03a, 3/23/23
In reply to Spoony Love
It's betterish
Fleen
11:06a, 3/23/23
TacoCrave is pretty good...
trouble
11:21a, 3/23/23
In reply to Fleen
Again with the secrets
halibut sinclair
11:42a, 3/23/23
In reply to maroon barchetta
maroon barchetta said:

halibut sinclair said:

RIP Casa Tomas and La Taqueria our 80s faves.

FIFme

Late 80s for us, as well - into the 90s.
Its_Lu
11:52a, 3/23/23
Tienda mi ranchito is a hole in the wall with really good food.
FishrCoAg
1:35p, 3/23/23
In reply to trouble
trouble said:

Again with the secrets

I need to know these places!
trouble
1:53p, 3/23/23
In reply to FishrCoAg
And you know I'll take you to all of them!
91_Aggie
4:16p, 3/23/23
In reply to TyHolden
TyHolden said:

Broncos said:

Gringos is better than Casa Rod. How's that?

Gringos is great Tex mex. My biggest issue with it so far is the bland salsa. I have my own though. Their salsa works for the masses though. It's not as bad as lupe tortillas salsa. I'm not sure that's really salsa though. Beans and tomatoes/onions does not go with chips.

Their "grilled" meats like fajitas taste like they just added "smoked" flavoring to it. Do they even have a grill in the kitchen?
The Brazos Kid
10:45a, 3/24/23
In reply to 91_Aggie
91_Aggie said:

TyHolden said:

Broncos said:

Gringos is better than Casa Rod. How's that?

Gringos is great Tex mex. My biggest issue with it so far is the bland salsa. I have my own though. Their salsa works for the masses though. It's not as bad as lupe tortillas salsa. I'm not sure that's really salsa though. Beans and tomatoes/onions does not go with chips.

Their "grilled" meats like fajitas taste like they just added "smoked" flavoring to it. Do they even have a grill in the kitchen?

Fresh off the Sysco truck...
dogowner
8:44p, 2/12/24
I figured I'd bump this thread instead of clogging up the coming and going with people talking about medians.

The wife and I went to Casa Rod because I had jury duty. It was raining and the place was empty. There was a table of servers also having lunch(?) whatever they were doing they weren't serving or cleaning. Our service was slow we had to call out to them several times to ask for a refill. The food almost took too long for the court appointed lunch break (which I mentioned) but it was so bad I ate only a few bites. It was the recommended enchiladas with eggs on them.

Anyway I only shared my story to say the restauraunt clearly has/had a ton of issues and blaming your restaurant not being competitive in a market with a dozen other good Mexican food places on MEDIANS is a joke .

Id gladly still go to Margie's for delicious burgers if I had to WADE THROUGH A MOAT. ok that's it also stop clogging up the coming and going thread thanks and gig them
kyledr04
8:49p, 2/12/24
Kbtx has an article that says the building is for sale and they intend to close.
Chrundle the Great
8:57p, 2/12/24
In reply to dogowner
They specifically blamed no parking because the varisco building got A&M as a tenant, but your point remains. They're just pointing fingers not on themselves.
AggiePhil
9:07p, 2/12/24
That's a shame. Place used to always be hopping! Loved that El Mobley plate!
davido
10:54p, 2/12/24
Downtown has a big daytime parking issue.
BiochemAg97
11:41p, 2/12/24
In reply to Chrundle the Great
Chrundle the Great said:

They specifically blamed no parking because the varisco building got A&M as a tenant, but your point remains. They're just pointing fingers not on themselves.

You would think dumping 160 workers in a building 2 blocks away would at least create some lunch patrons.
A Net Full of Jello
5:25a, 2/13/24
In reply to BiochemAg97
It probably would have if the lunch customers could trust the service would get them done within their alloted lunch break and/or if the food was good. All they have to do is read through this thread where no one is defending them to realize they are the biggest problem in their story.
dubi
6:03a, 2/13/24
We quit eating there many years ago; the quality took a huge dive when their parents passed away.
Independence H-D
6:22a, 2/13/24
Food quality went down. Service was bad. Hosting drag shows. 3 strikes and you're out.
trouble
6:48a, 2/13/24
In reply to BiochemAg97
Indeed. Other downtown businesses have seen a lunch bump. Even some a farther walk than casa rod
MyNameIsJeff
7:37a, 2/13/24
In reply to dogowner
dogowner said:

I figured I'd bump this thread instead of clogging up the coming and going with people talking about medians.

The wife and I went to Casa Rod because I had jury duty. It was raining and the place was empty. There was a table of servers also having lunch(?) whatever they were doing they weren't serving or cleaning. Our service was slow we had to call out to them several times to ask for a refill. The food almost took too long for the court appointed lunch break (which I mentioned) but it was so bad I ate only a few bites. It was the recommended enchiladas with eggs on them.

Anyway I only shared my story to say the restauraunt clearly has/had a ton of issues and blaming your restaurant not being competitive in a market with a dozen other good Mexican food places on MEDIANS is a joke .

Id gladly still go to Margie's for delicious burgers if I had to WADE THROUGH A MOAT. ok that's it also stop clogging up the coming and going thread thanks and gig them
I remember seeing the owner posting regularly on BCS Meals and Deals on FB, yet it seemed she never listened to any of the criticism shared.

Casa Rod was literally my favorite Mexican food in town 10 years ago. Where I would take my parents when they were in town, where I would take girls on dates, etc. Sad to see how they've fallen.
EliteElectric
8:23a, 2/13/24
it's up for sale

https://www.kbtx.com/2024/02/12/two-more-restaurants-announce-closure-adding-growing-list-bryan-college-station/

aggiedata
8:26a, 2/13/24

Casa Rod

Amico Nave Ristorante

Old news:

Mr. Hamburger, Mad Taco, World of Beer, and IHOP
MyNameIsJeff
8:47a, 2/13/24
In reply to aggiedata
It seems concerning that a few long time restaurants are closing, but is it? BCS has hundreds of restaurants, is it really anything more than a coincidence that a handful close within a few months of each other?
BiochemAg97
8:49a, 2/13/24
In reply to MyNameIsJeff
MyNameIsJeff said:

dogowner said:

I remember seeing the owner posting regularly on BCS Meals and Deals on FB, yet it seemed she never listened to any of the criticism shared.

Casa Rod was literally my favorite Mexican food in town 10 years ago. Where I would take my parents when they were in town, where I would take girls on dates, etc. Sad to see how they've fallen.

Haven't been to casa rod in ages. But I had a similar experience at other long time establishments that we frequented when we lived here before. I wonder how much is "going down hill" vs "didn't keep up". End result is the same.
FlyRod
8:49a, 2/13/24
It's concerning to those of us in Bryan...likely less concerning to the SCstat folks where new restaurants seem to be opening every week.
trouble
8:57a, 2/13/24
In reply to aggiedata
WoB closed because of a landlord issue though, not lack of business.
AggiePhil
9:09a, 2/13/24
It's like evolution for businesses.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 3 of 4
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE